C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stock 85 w/Intermittent idle surge

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, My 88 L-98 is having the same problem. It is down for awhile right now. I have to build up a blueprinted distributor, then I'm back to it. Funny, the car was idling ok, then I rebuilt the throttle body, and boom started surging. I was told that I loosened up some carbon or nasty debri, that was plugging a vacuum leak. I have to agree with him, as that TB was extremely dirty, gummy. I didn't think it would be that bad. When I grasp the cruise control diaphram, and give it a little throttle (engine off) the throttle actually moves around 3/16" before lifting off the idle stop, the TB was pitted around the throttle blades, and even the outside of the blades are rough. Think I know what I will be buying next, and I just rebuilt it. I was also wondering about the winaldl. Doesn't look like it would work on my 88. Let me know Goldeneye, if you don't mind. A scanner is worth it's weight in gold. Wish I had one...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
ARatty385
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dave,

Figure I'd jump in the fun here. I have an 86 which had the same problem which the exception that after it warmed up it would surge to the point of eventually killing itself and my computer was trowing zero codes. I traced it out and found a problem with my timing. The problem has gone away for the most part, it surges a little but no where near as bad as it was. It has plenty of power and shows no power loss at any point in the rpm band. It just stumbles a bit, and shakes at a stop or idle. I have been learning alot since reading your post. I would like to thank all the guys as well, it's helping me out too. I am going to invest in the aldl software and cable to find out what is actually going on. My mechanic has told me the same, that everything is working fine as well. If I stumble(no pun intended) on to something I will give a heads up.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
davemack
Racer

Originally Posted by ARatty385
Hey Dave,

Figure I'd jump in the fun here. I have an 86 which had the same problem which the exception that after it warmed up it would surge to the point of eventually killing itself and my computer was trowing zero codes. I traced it out and found a problem with my timing. The problem has gone away for the most part, it surges a little but no where near as bad as it was. It has plenty of power and shows no power loss at any point in the rpm band. It just stumbles a bit, and shakes at a stop or idle. I have been learning alot since reading your post. I would like to thank all the guys as well, it's helping me out too. I am going to invest in the aldl software and cable to find out what is actually going on. My mechanic has told me the same, that everything is working fine as well. If I stumble(no pun intended) on to something I will give a heads up.
Excellent. I couldn't agree more, the guys here on CF are the best. Very knowledgeable and willing to help.

With a lot of help and a little luck, we may just get to the bottom of this issue once and for all. Keep me posted if you come up with something.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
davemack
Racer

Originally Posted by Steel Breeze
Interesting, My 88 L-98 is having the same problem. It is down for awhile right now. I have to build up a blueprinted distributor, then I'm back to it. Funny, the car was idling ok, then I rebuilt the throttle body, and boom started surging. I was told that I loosened up some carbon or nasty debri, that was plugging a vacuum leak. I have to agree with him, as that TB was extremely dirty, gummy. I didn't think it would be that bad. When I grasp the cruise control diaphram, and give it a little throttle (engine off) the throttle actually moves around 3/16" before lifting off the idle stop, the TB was pitted around the throttle blades, and even the outside of the blades are rough. Think I know what I will be buying next, and I just rebuilt it. I was also wondering about the winaldl. Doesn't look like it would work on my 88. Let me know Goldeneye, if you don't mind. A scanner is worth it's weight in gold. Wish I had one...
As you can read, I'm no expert, but I think the set up described by Goldeneye_vet will work fine for your 88. I have a friend with a 94 who tells me his OBDII scanner doesn't work on his car. He's also interested in making a cable and downloading the software. If he's correct, that would mean the Vette didn't go OBDII until after 94.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davemack
As you can read, I'm no expert, but I think the set up described by Goldeneye_vet will work fine for your 88. I have a friend with a 94 who tells me his OBDII scanner doesn't work on his car. He's also interested in making a cable and downloading the software. If he's correct, that would mean the Vette didn't go OBDII until after 94.
You know that sounds about right to me... Thnx...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:31 PM
goldeneye_vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SteelBreeze aren't you into electronics? I thought you were so you should have no problem building that cable and WinALDL will work fine for your vette. Tunerpro RT will work as well as long as you get the right files needed in order to scan it. Craig's site www.moates.net has everything you need to start making changes and reading your chip SteelBreeze. Us 85 (870 ecm) guys can use Tunerpro RT and WinALDL too but for chip burning you have to make a few different changes as opposed to the 86-89 owners. 86-89 owners have it pretty decent in regards to chip burning with 165 ecm. For info you'd need to check out the DIY Prom section of www.thirdgen.org. These guys know their stuff!

SteelBreeze this is the link to Joby's site for WinALDL and the link to the interface cable is on this page: http://winaldl.joby.se/

Last edited by goldeneye_vet; 09-21-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
davemack
Racer

Originally Posted by goldeneye_vet
SteelBreeze aren't you into electronics? I thought you were so you should have no problem building that cable and WinALDL will work fine for your vette. Tunerpro RT will work as well as long as you get the right files needed in order to scan it. Craig's site www.moates.net has everything you need to start making changes and reading your chip SteelBreeze. Us 85 (870 ecm) guys can use Tunerpro RT and WinALDL too but for chip burning you have to make a few different changes as opposed to the 86-89 owners. 86-89 owners have it pretty decent in regards to chip burning with 165 ecm. For info you'd need to check out the DIY Prom section of www.thirdgen.org. These guys know their stuff!

SteelBreeze this is the link to Joby's site for WinALDL and the link to the interface cable is on this page: http://winaldl.joby.se/
Just so everyone knows, I did as RRT vette suggested and started a new thread. Please stay with me on Part 2 - I need your help!!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Steel Breeze
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goldeneye_vet

You are 100% correct. I can build stuff like this with my eye's closed "almost". it is the darn computer language I have problems with. I can fix it, but don't know how to use it.. I guess more study is required. When I was in high school, I took four years of type, because there were no personal computers. So at 45 I have a hard time with the computer language, but I can type so fast it is almost a blur... Yep, I can build the interface cable. It is just hooking the blasted thing up. Maybe I am making it harder than it is. I would love to be able to take care of the programming of my chip. We'll see how it goes. Sounds like I need to study the basics, and learn the meaning of some words, and phrases. Thanks for a little kick in the pant's bro...

Last edited by Steel Breeze; 09-22-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:40 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

OBD2 wasn't implemented in cars until 1996. Some 93-95 cars had OBD2-style 16 pin connectors but they were still technically OBD1.

Quick Reply: Stock 85 w/Intermittent idle surge