C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lt1 Dfi

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lt1 Dfi

My dog chewed up my factory wiring harness, so I'm now considering a DFI. The car is track only and gutted, so I'm not worring about emissions, A/C issues or factory gauges.

Anyone make a plug and play DFI system for a '94 LT1?

Anyone here using a DFI system on their LT1? If so, is the system batch fire or sequential? Does it use one O2, or two? Is the harness long enough to mount the computer inside the car? Any modifications for using the electric fans?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:51 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White Racing Products made my plug n play Fast system with wide band. You could also get LT1 edit for your car. I think Kurt is one of our supporting sponsors too. Also if you look up TJWong, a member, he gets DFI's for real decent prices. He is a tuner out of Portland also.He really knows his stuff.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

I got mine from TJ. Give him a call for any tech questions. Jeb Burnett did the install along with the Delteq (as well as modifying a opti by taking out the rotor).
Old 02-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

contact TJWong for dfi stuff, he will get you the best price I've found. I got my DFI from TJ. You can buy the wiring harness to use with your factory ECM. But the system is not a Plug N play, you will need to have some kind of knowledge in testing electrical etc. When I got mine, I was in a total lost in hooking this thing up. I got a buddy help me do all the install and took about 8 hrs by the time all said and done. It was his first timer. Experince guy will probably take 4-5 hrs to do it.

I mounted my DFI box in the front tire wheel wall and covered 1/2 of the box by a sanwich bag. This is to prevent any water getting into it.

Last edited by Bruce; 02-10-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

contact www.vette2vette.com for a used engine harness.

The DFI looks like an interface, not a replacement. So that won't help much. I don't think that Painless has caught up yet.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:50 PM
JA94vette
Pro

Can someone explain exactly what the DFI does and the benifits of it. I know it take a radical enigne to require it but i just don't get exactly what it does. If it doesn't replace the stock computer, how do they work together??
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JA94vette
Can someone explain exactly what the DFI does and the benifits of it. I know it take a radical enigne to require it but i just don't get exactly what it does. If it doesn't replace the stock computer, how do they work together??
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff in the late model C4s from 1990 and up. There is a CCM behind the dash that communicates with the PCM or ECM. It runs the body functions such as the instrument cluster, and HVAC system. It also sends information to the cluster such as the fuel gauge and other gauge funtions. If you remove the ECM or PCM completely and substitute the DFI box for engine fuel and spark management, the CCM will not be able to talk to a ECM or PCM that is not there. Then it will loose its ability to do its job to control the HVAC and other sub systems.

For those wanting total control and programability the DFI or other aftermarket EFI system is the answer. These are usually installed so that the original ECM or PCM remains in the car to keep the CCM happy. To do this all one has to do is to share a few siganls between the CCM and othe new DFI ECU, hence the term piggy back. With the programming tools that are now available only the more radical engines would require a DFI system.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:43 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

So the accel DFI can be run as a piggyback as shown above, or as a stand alone replacement?

I have no need for the CCM, so I would not need a piggyback. Other than engine management, the only computer system I plan to keep is the ABS.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:47 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ramrod92
I got mine from TJ. Give him a call for any tech questions. Jeb Burnett did the install along with the Delteq (as well as modifying a opti by taking out the rotor).
I got a PM from him last week about this. I'll give him a call.

I also have a Delteq that will be installed along with whichever route I chose.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:44 AM
JA94vette
Pro

Originally Posted by tjwong
Jeff in the late model C4s from 1990 and up. There is a CCM behind the dash that communicates with the PCM or ECM. It runs the body functions such as the instrument cluster, and HVAC system. It also sends information to the cluster such as the fuel gauge and other gauge funtions. If you remove the ECM or PCM completely and substitute the DFI box for engine fuel and spark management, the CCM will not be able to talk to a ECM or PCM that is not there. Then it will loose its ability to do its job to control the HVAC and other sub systems.

For those wanting total control and programability the DFI or other aftermarket EFI system is the answer. These are usually installed so that the original ECM or PCM remains in the car to keep the CCM happy. To do this all one has to do is to share a few siganls between the CCM and othe new DFI ECU, hence the term piggy back. With the programming tools that are now available only the more radical engines would require a DFI system.
Thanks!! Great explaination!
Jeff
Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ZBRA
I have no need for the CCM, so I would not need a piggyback. Other than engine management, the only computer system I plan to keep is the ABS.
I'm note sure, but doesn't the ABS need input from the CCM to function? I think the acceleramtor feed is to the ccm.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ramrod92
I'm note sure, but doesn't the ABS need input from the CCM to function? I think the acceleramtor feed is to the ccm.
I'm not sure yet. I'm hoping I can wire or manipulate it into a stand alone system. If not, I may end up looking for a stand alone system.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Holy crap the Accel system is retarded expensive. Any other options out there?

Get notified of new replies

To Lt1 Dfi

Quick Reply: Lt1 Dfi