C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Light, ocasional stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 AM
CrippleDave
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light, ocasional stalling

A couple of months ago my friend and i changed out the motor in my 89 vette. We replaced everything practically. Recently the mpg gauge stopped working and i suspect that it is the sensor on the master cylinder since when i move it around somtimes it works. What is that sensor by the way? Moving on... recently somtimes when i start the car the engine light goes on and the car runs rough and stalls during shifts. This really only happens from 1st to 2nd. Once i restart the car this usually goes away. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I am positive this is not a mechanical problem. Also this happens more often when its hot outside. It will do this even if the car is warmed up.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If the SES light comes on, then you have a stored error code which will tell you where your problem is. Also, the wire out of the brake master cylinder detects differential pressure across the individual cylinders and lights a warning on the dash indicating that you have brakes on only 2 wheels so I don't see how there is any connection between that wire and your mpg readout.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 PM
CrippleDave
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a tool i can buy to hook up to the ecu to find out what code its throwing or do i need to take it in? Which sensor is used for the mpg? b4 it would jump all over the place and now it just says 0.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:55 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You can recover error codes with a paper clip. Turn the ignition on without the engine running and use a paper clip or short piece of wire to connect the top right pin to the pin to its left on the ALDL connector (in front of your right leg when in the drivers seat). You will see the service engine soon light flash 12 (flash.......flash flash) three times followed by an error code {example, error code 34.....flash flash flash.........flash flash flash flash] and it will repeat. It is possible too to have several error codes displayed. If there are no error codes stored all you will see is 12 flashed three times and repeated.

There is no error code for the MPG gauge nor is there a sensor for MPG and if it is not working, either the ECM or the cluster is not working properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Light, ocasional stalling

Quick Reply: Engine Light, ocasional stalling