C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Distributor gear in zz4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Distributor gear in zz4?

Will the factory distributor gear be OK with the ZZ4 enginge? Wasn't sure if I had to change the gear or if I could use the stock one.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:38 AM
etown brawler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85WHITEZ51
Will the factory distributor gear be OK with the ZZ4 enginge? Wasn't sure if I had to change the gear or if I could use the stock one.
yes you can use the stock gear no problem
Old 07-14-2007, 02:50 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

I used the factory dist. gear off of my '88 distributor when I did the ZZ4 swap. within a few months I was pulling the distributor to change the gear because there were no teeth left on the gear! It is designed for a roller cam but the metalurgy is somehow different-- use the one that comes with the ZZ4 motor and install it on your distributor or order it from GM if you just got the short block. You don't want all of those metal shavings floating around your new engine!!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:45 PM
DrEvil11417
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bent
I used the factory dist. gear off of my '88 distributor when I did the ZZ4 swap. within a few months I was pulling the distributor to change the gear because there were no teeth left on the gear! It is designed for a roller cam but the metalurgy is somehow different-- use the one that comes with the ZZ4 motor and install it on your distributor or order it from GM if you just got the short block. You don't want all of those metal shavings floating around your new engine!!

do you remember which distributor gear you used?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:23 PM
etown brawler
Racer

a melonized distributor gear is not a different material then a stock gear.melonizing is just a surface treatment that aids in cam/dist gear break in by retaining lube .the melonizing wears off after break in . i always use a new gear with a new cam ,i only use g.m melonized gears .but if you use a normal gear you just got to make sure you use some good assembly lube when you drop it in.

Last edited by etown brawler; 07-14-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:49 AM
bent
Burning Brakes

I should clarify. About 10 years ago, when my father (the mechanic) and I installed the ZZ4 crate engine into my 88 vette, we pulled the distributor out of the original engine and stabbed it into the ZZ4 without any changes. THIS WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO. The two metals weren't compatable and the motor eventually quit running due to the teeth being worn off of the distributor gear. If anyone doing this swap wants to use their stock distributor, the gear must be changed out. I do think I remember hearing the word "mellanized" somewhere along the way.

I hope you got the right gear on there-- white85 -- if not change it now

Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bent

I hope you got the right gear on there-- white85 -- if not change it now

Thanks Bent. I haven't dropped the distributor in yet so I'll just change the gear. Not worth the risk. I figure what's another couple of buck on a $6K project.

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor gear in zz4?

Quick Reply: Distributor gear in zz4?