C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

RE: 86 Fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:26 PM
senorv47
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Changing a FPR on a 20 year old car is not necessarily throwing parts at it. While not a maintainance part, it probably should be. But I agree, "easter egging" parts is expensive and not very wise.
Well all, I'm happy to report that all is good, it was that darn Oring which connects the cold start valve to the runner, it's now starting up first time every time. I want to thank everyone for thier input esspecially CFI.

Manny
Old 07-21-2007, 08:34 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks like CFI came through again!
Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm glad it's fixed. Too bad you may have wasted money on fuel injectors. Any time you buy parts with your fingers crossed, you are throwing money at it. You can "maintenance justify" yourself into a complete new car...One Piece at a Time (with apologies to Johnny Cash).

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 PM
senorv47
Pro

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I'm glad it's fixed. Too bad you may have wasted money on fuel injectors. Any time you buy parts with your fingers crossed, you are throwing money at it. You can "maintenance justify" yourself into a complete new car...One Piece at a Time (with apologies to Johnny Cash).

RACE ON!!!
CFI your the man
Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 PM
senorv47
Pro

Originally Posted by senorv47
Just a question I'm not able to find an answer to. Does the fuel system on an 86 have a check vavle to maintain pressure between starts?
Ok, finally got that fuel issue good, at least I thought but yesterday I drove it over to Walmart and back and decided to stop and have some lunch ansd wgen I got back in the car it started and when I put it in gear and started rolling back it died. Starts but won't idle, lots of popping from the throttle body. Here's what I've done to try a diagnose this:

Checked fuel pressure good at 40 lbs
chacked distributor rotor - good
plugs for spark - good
fuel pump relay new
GM tester code 12 - no issues
Vacuum lines in good order
changed fuel injectors about three weeks ago (leaky injector)
checked fuses - good

So can anyone give me some insight on this issue

Thanks,
Manny
Old 07-27-2007, 09:28 PM
senorv47
Pro

ttt help!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:29 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you still get fuel pressure with the key on?
Does it hold for a bit?
Sounds like it's backfiring through the intake. Did you loosen the dist any when doing testing?
Have you disconnected the MAF to see if it will run on it's own?
What is the TPS set at?
The SES light on?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to check that FP with the car running.

If you can, tape the gauge to your windshield and drive around and see what happens.

report back the findings

Im leaning towards either the Fuel Pump/Sock or the pulsator
Old 07-28-2007, 12:27 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default fuel

I changed fuel pumps, and it fixed the drainback problem. check my previous post on this thread. 86E
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 AM
senorv47
Pro

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
I have an 86e with the very same problem.
I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge, and the fuel was bleeding off right away. I removed the fuel pump from the tank, and changed the pulsator, and the sock. I changed the sock on the pump, and when I grasped it, prior to changing it, it crumbled like paper.
the pulsator is from a 90, and it was better for a while.
I changed the quantity sender to a 90, and reassembled it with a new ground wire, new gasket.
I changed the FP regulator because I thought it was that, I put a holley one on it.
it might soon have been that because the red silicone rubber was delaminating from the glass cloth of the diaphragm.

I changed the fuel pump relay because the prime fuel was not present after the 2 second prime sequence. I had power at the relay terminals.
I changed the injectors last year, I also changed the manifold, heads, runners, and plenum. it was an engine upgrade.
It still bled down.
The gauge seemed to fluctuate a lot at idle, and dipped below 40 psi when goosing the throttle.

UPDATE:
Changing the fuel pump has helped immensely. The car runs better, and the fuel doesn't seem to drain back to the tank.

After the pump change, the needle is steady at idle, and when the throttle is moved rapidly, the fuel pressure does not go down, but increases 2-3 psi, then rises to 45, then settles down at 39 PSI.
The cat seems to run cooler.
There is no hot hot hot smell coming from under the car.
The car idles smoother, and when the throttle is closed rapidly, the engine does not die.
When starting it cold, the starter cranks a little longer than an instant start, but no where near the full minute it ws doing before.
The acceleration is better as well.
OK, but my question is, did you pull the tank to change the pump out? I've seen some threads that mention something about being able to see the srea where the pump is by pulling the fuel door seal off? any validity to that? I was looking in the FSM and it a heck of the procedure to pull the tank! Any other suggestions out there?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The pump comes straight through the TOP of the tank. Remove the fuel door and rubber boot and you will see the bolts holding the pump/gauge sender unit to the tank. Remove hoses and wiring and carefully pull the unit out.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:26 AM
senorv47
Pro

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
The pump comes straight through the TOP of the tank. Remove the fuel door and rubber boot and you will see the bolts holding the pump/gauge sender unit to the tank. Remove hoses and wiring and carefully pull the unit out.
Thanks, what about the fuel thats in the tank, I would hate to have a problem there? Shall I drain the tank?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Thanks, what about the fuel thats in the tank, I would hate to have a problem there? Shall I drain the tank?
Not required
Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I was looking in the FSM and it a heck of the procedure to pull the tank! Any other suggestions out there?
Check a different section of your FSM. You wouldn't look up how to pull the engine to change the spark plugs.

Once again, I have to preach not to throw money or parts at it. It is possible the check valve is causing the fuel system to lose pressure when you shut the engine off. Do you still have that problem? I didn't notice where you said you did since you fixed the leak at the cold start injector.

A leaky check valve won't make the engine die. When the engine is running, the fuel is all flowing OUT of the tank. The check valve only prevents the fuel from returning, when the pump is off. All your previous posts have indicated good fuel pressure. Before you throw money at a possibly unneeded fuel pump, TEST it. Put a pressure gauge on it and go for a drive.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM
senorv47
Pro

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Check a different section of your FSM. You wouldn't look up how to pull the engine to change the spark plugs.

Once again, I have to preach not to throw money or parts at it. It is possible the check valve is causing the fuel system to lose pressure when you shut the engine off. Do you still have that problem? I didn't notice where you said you did since you fixed the leak at the cold start injector.

A leaky check valve won't make the engine die. When the engine is running, the fuel is all flowing OUT of the tank. The check valve only prevents the fuel from returning, when the pump is off. All your previous posts have indicated good fuel pressure. Before you throw money at a possibly unneeded fuel pump, TEST it. Put a pressure gauge on it and go for a drive.

RACE ON!!!
Rgr, Rgr I did test it and initially fixing the leak did help the starting but
last Thursday I stopped for lunch and came out that the car started then died, it won't idle and is popping through the throttle body. I had to tow the car back to the house (bout a mile luckly) Heres what I checked when I got it home:

Checked fuel pressure good at 40 lbs (still drains down in 3 seconds)
checked distributor rotor - good
plugs for spark - good
fuel pump relay new
GM tester code 12 - no issues
Vacuum lines in good order
changed fuel injectors about three weeks ago (leaky injector)
checked fuses - good

But it still sputters and dies when I start it.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

My fuel pressure dropped like a rock, it was the pulse damper above fuel pump that caused it. A piece of fuel injection hose and 2 clamps and now my pressure holds for hours.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM
senorv47
Pro

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
My fuel pressure dropped like a rock, it was the pulse damper above fuel pump that caused it. A piece of fuel injection hose and 2 clamps and now my pressure holds for hours.
Thanks, I'll check into that but first I gotta find out why it's not idling all of sudden
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 PM
senorv47
Pro

Default RE: Update 6 August 2007

Please see the updateat the begining of the thread

Quick Reply: RE: 86 Fuel system