C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

which after market computer system similar/compatible with standard computer ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:02 PM
emo-vet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi pryderi,
how are ya!
thanks for the reply.
i am actually in the process of making up dummy cold air filter ducting now out of Pvc plumbing pipe to start with on my L98 engine.
basically i have two 65 mm inner diameter pipes that fit along above valve covers and then there are 4 smaller pipes that fit snug inside the ram tubes to give a nice seal and they connect to the 65 mm pipe each side,then there is a end cap at the end of each 65 mm pipe near the firewall.
then on the other end i have fitted two 45 degree angle fittings with a straight coupler into each other to get the rite shape/angle on each 65 mm pipe ,then there is smaller coupler fitting that fits two staright 50 mm pipe that then meets up inside the standard air filter box thru to the k&n filter below in normal filter corvette position and then thru to the a/o engineering forced air filter coupling/scoop-defuser in front bumper/number plate location
it should work out ok hopefully.
it all fit nice and snug in the engine bay and doesnt interfere with any thing else and hood closes nicely as the ducting all fits inside the section in the middle of the hood.
once all the work is done i will spray it all up in 1500 degree farenheit black heat paint and bingo,shes done....
gees its looks quite trick actually,very happy with it.
would you think that this idea will work out ok please ???
cheers
regards
shae

Last edited by emo-vet; 08-24-2007 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:25 AM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

interesting plan mate !

could post a pic or two ?

PS: glad you liked the pics !
Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi there gt 40,
yeah mate shes coming along nicely buddy!
im thinking thats its all going to work out,fingers crossed..
hey mate , are you planning on getting one of these 8 t/b intakes ?, i hope you are.
i would post a pic or two but cant work out how to down load from new digital camera,bloddy technology,lol.
any way keep you posted hey,thanks for the encouragement and talk.
cheers
regards
shae
Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Thunder Kiss
Intermediate

Hi emo-vet. Harrop do a similar intake to the Katicore one. You may be able to adapt their cold air intake to the Katicore manifold (that's if they'll sell it to you separately).
Your other cold air option may be to use an '84 hood which has ducting on its underside that directs cold air to the manifold area. You could then use 8 individual UniFilters.

Harrop intake:
Old 08-24-2007, 11:14 AM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

bloody hell mate that looks AWESOME !

though the filters seem a tad small... am i wrong ?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
emo-vet
Pro

hi there guys,
thanks for the harrop picture !
i will keep it in mind,infact i will call them today and see how much!
cheers
regards
shae
Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by emo-vet
hi gt40,
i found out a price mate on the air box,not cheap at all,$ 275 each box for the smaller version, thats the one i need to run.
yes mate you drill them out to your needs.
cheers

mseven,thanks for the reply!
actually the stock ecm will not support/run this 8 t/b intake at all,no chance mate, the 8 t/b intake is a sequential systems and needs more capabilty .r.e a mini ram keeping up, well i know a guy from gotech automotive and he has a fully modded stroker 383 with the lot,cam,heads,6 speed,4.10 ,bored out 390 and the guy on here bosch vette that has the 8 t/b that first posted up the intake has similar mods and the 8 t/b smokes him all over!
infact the 8 t/b car of boschvette whips new zo6 cars as well.
cheers
any way
shae
You want to discuss...lets

What about this intake is "sequential"? Don't the TB's all act together?

If someone told you that the injector firing has to be sequential and not batch fire, I would like to know why. There may be some advantages but I would like to why this intake requires it

I am running Accel DFI with a sequential injector firing, really because I was getting a new distributor so I figured why not. Here is a pic of the cam and crank signal led's used for initial setup..

How much did you pay for the intake setup? What other accessories are necessary? So far it appears at the very least an aftermarket computer in $1000+ range
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 PM
emo-vet
Pro

hi raindleay,
thanks for the reply.
yes mate all the throttle bodies act togeather.
the standard system cant run it io belive as it doesnt run enogh fuel/ignition/map preasure thats all i think!

im recieving my 8 t/b intake this week coming from the supplier so i haent yet fired it up yet to see if it will run on standard computer on my 1991 map system vette

cost for 8 t/b intake is $ 3,300 australian dollars plus you need a small cap distributor,remote coil,air filters or cold air box system -6an fuel lines/fittings/adjustable regulator,make up throttle bracket,finally a aftermarket computer of some sort, im going to run a Haletech system soon @ $1,140 aus dollars.

go to www.verycoolparts.com, click on stacks half way down page then scroll down again and clic on 350 chev cross ram intake, 3 photos of it there.
any way cheers
shae
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by emo-vet
hi raindleay,
thanks for the reply.
yes mate all the throttle bodies act togeather.
the standard system cant run it io belive as it doesnt run enogh fuel/ignition/map preasure thats all i think!

im recieving my 8 t/b intake this week coming from the supplier so i haent yet fired it up yet to see if it will run on standard computer on my 1991 map system vette

cost for 8 t/b intake is $ 3,300 australian dollars plus you need a small cap distributor,remote coil,air filters or cold air box system -6an fuel lines/fittings/adjustable regulator,make up throttle bracket,finally a aftermarket computer of some sort, im going to run a Haletech system soon @ $1,140 aus dollars.

go to www.verycoolparts.com, click on stacks half way down page then scroll down again and clic on 350 chev cross ram intake, 3 photos of it there.
any way cheers
shae
Believe me I have looked at this intake...it is beautiful but cannot justify the cost versus what I have and other options that will perform as well for half the cost.

Your existing computer can do all that you need.
  1. The map sensor can read the necessary range. This intake will not change the range the MAP sensor needs to read. A really hot cam will reduce the range and I believe forced induction forces a change but I don't know enough about forced induction to say for sure on that.
  2. Your existing computer can effectively contol the timing, again the intke will not greatly effect the amount of timing the engine will like or casue the engine to desire some wild timing curve.
  3. If you have the right size injectors for your HP needs, your computer can deliver the correct amount of fuel required. You will need to change the injector constant programmed into the computer, but you will need to do that with an aftermarket system anyway.

Maybe you guys are all running aftermarket systems because you don't understand the capabilities of the exiting systems. Mine is completely unnecessary and would not do it again.( well not completely unnecessary, I have to use a map system and my 85 came with MAF only) It is fun to play with but there is software and support for playing with an OEM system just the same. There are alot of fast cars running there stock computers with custom tunes, something you will need.

Please understand I only say this because you mentioned that you did not want to go aftermarket. Well, you don't have too. Spend the amount of time it would take you to earn $1400 dollars over in the scan tune forum and you will be well on your way. Unless of course you are a brain surgeon, lawyer or plumber.... $1400 comes too quick.

Last edited by Steve85; 08-24-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: mykey board shcks
Old 08-25-2007, 06:04 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi again raindelay.
cool man.
thanks alot for your helpful info and advice mate.
one thing i cant agree on though is that you mentioned that other intakes will perform just as well as this the 8 t/b intake,but really mate the 8 t/b intake is a much better air /fuel ratio tune than others as each cylinder is getting the rite amount of air/fuel each as the single t/b plenum where the front cylinders grab the best air first and the back 4 get the remaining air left and ther fore they tend to run leaner than the front cylinders.
for this reason the v8 super car race cars all run seperate t/b
im really hoping what you are saying will work mate for me when im ready to install it this week coming.
i have 30 lb fms injectors to run with the 8 t/b.
so yeah i will just get a tune from pcm for less, or fast chip tune.
i guess i heard all these stories/rumors that my 1991 computer will not run it so they can sell me a new computer,well buger that for a joke.
unfortently im not a surgeon,plumber or lawyer so money is a issue for me.
so ok it is looking well then now after your kind reassurance and help.
thanks alot mate
cheers
shae

Last edited by emo-vet; 08-25-2007 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 AM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

man you mean you got the thing !!!!

post some bloody pics mate !
Old 08-25-2007, 05:59 PM
emo-vet
Pro

hi gt 40,know mate i havent got it yet!
its been paid for,but still waiting to recieve it as the companie who makes it DC&O , there staff have been sick with the flu.
so hopefully some time this week buddy!
cant wait though.
cheers
shae
Old 08-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Thunder Kiss
Intermediate

Hey emo-vet, what's the relationship between DC&O and Katicore? Are they the same company? Or is one the manufacturer and the other the retailer?

Also, not that anyone on a Corvette forum would care but, it's interesting to note DC&O are used by Unique Performance as the optional EFI upgrade on their Shelby GT500E Eleanor and other Shelby based Mustangs. I beleive they charge around US$8,000 for the upgrade.

Last edited by Thunder Kiss; 08-25-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi thunderkiss,
how ya going mate!
ok mate here is the deal what i found out by chance luckily, katicore is a dealer only mate
dc&0 products and servcies is the manufacture of this intake.
if you like mate, i shall give you there email and phone number ?
but he doesnt give out discounts on one intake unfortuneltly as i reccomended another guy to him and i couldnt get aa better deal
but how is this though,www.verycoolparts.com in the usa where he gets his same 8 t/b intake from dc&o services.
interesting stuff hey mate
gees man i would hate to have to pay $ 8,000 u.s dollars man thats for sure,no way
anyway cheers for the chat
thanks
shae

Last edited by emo-vet; 08-26-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:09 AM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RainDelay
Believe me I have looked at this intake...it is beautiful but cannot justify the cost versus what I have and other options that will perform as well for half the cost.
Based on what 99% of what people on this forum will use their corvettes for, I whole-heartedly agree with the above statemment. There are much cheaper, more proven (for the C4 vette) options for considerably less money.

Aaron
Old 08-26-2007, 01:19 AM
emo-vet
Pro

Hi Aaron i agree one thing you said,its expensive compared to other intakes but i dont agree with the word " MORE PROVEN "that you use on other products!!
yeah sure the super ram,mini ram,stealth ram,first,and others all work,but
whats there to prove, the proof is that the 8 t/b intake gives all round performance/power ,LOW,MID AND TOP END and a great considerable amount of power,approx 50 HP and will give the best available fuel/air tune there is avaialble.
none of this single plenum grabing the good first cold air on the front cylinders and the back cylinders scavaging for the remaining air and leaning out the back cylinders.
if you want maxium power from a intake ,this intake kick ***.
and im sure alot of guys want as much power as they can get out of there engine.
and what i use this car for is a toy,hobby,every known and then cruz/race what ever comes.
cheers
shae

Last edited by emo-vet; 08-26-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 AM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

hy emo-vet, anything new going on ?

Get notified of new replies

To which after market computer system similar/compatible with standard computer ?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi gt40,
how are ya!
still waiting to recieve the 8 t/b intake.
i have orderd the small cap msd distributor,remote msd coil,tpi wire conversion harneses to suit coil and dist
i also brought my 8 x 100 mm long red uni filters in case cold air sytem doesnt work out.
throttle linkage attacment bracket and end wire mod done/made
got my s/s fule lines & fitings already,
so heah just waiting on intake,install it and see if i can get it to fire,then i will get a custom chip done.
if standrd computer doesnt work, then i will buy the heltech e6gmx system.
thats it for now buddy!
cheers
regards
shae
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't see why this wouldn't work with a stock computer... if the throttles are all syncronized then you would just have to make the tps work off it and the map and timing and fuel shouldn't be THAT far off. what cam and heads are you using that justify using such an intake..
Old 08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
emo-vet
Pro

hi prozac,
thanks for the reply .
the heads im going to buy are AFR ported 210 heads and the cam is a comp cam efi hydraulic roller cam #08-467-8, it has a duration at 230 degress, with 280/288 degrees advance duration with .576/.570 lift using 1.6 ratio rockers and rev range is from 2000-6,000 rpm with a 113lobe seperation.
im really looking to fire the thing up.
apparently these 8 t/b intakes sound super sweet to listen too when idleing and open up the throttle they roar when you open her rite up,cool
any way cheers mate
regards
shae

Quick Reply: which after market computer system similar/compatible with standard computer ?