C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how much paint

Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKE

You don't even NEED a spray booth with down-flow or cross-flow air circulation. Many guys shoot their cars in their garage and some even on the driveway. I painted mine in the garage, with the garage door open about two feet and a floor fan placed at the door opening to exhaust any over-spray. Furnace filters can be taped together and used at the door opening to keep any dust/dirt from blowing in.

Hardest part about the whole deal is summoning the courage to have at it.

Jake

We also wet down the floor in our garage before painting and wet down the area where we draw the air from and where we enter and leave the garage from to help keep down any dust and we use the furnace filter trick as well
Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Livin the Dream

We also wet down the floor in our garage before painting and wet down the area where we draw the air from and where we enter and leave the garage from to help keep down any dust and we use the furnace filter trick as well
I wet too.

There are differing views on doing that. Some claim that the evaporating water gets onto the finish, hurting the paint job. I don't agree.

Not only do I wet the floor, but the day before, I shoot my water hose at the ceiling, all the walls and all the garage doors, including the overhead door.

I first shoot the ceiling, then the walls and doors and finally the floor washing it all out onto the driveway. I then shoot the driveway, washing everything down the driveway more than 30 feet. I don't want it drying out with the dust remaining which can then be blown back toward where I'm shooting.

By the next day, the ceiling, walls, etc. are dry. I then wet the floor again.

Jake
Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, this would be painted at a school. So I say they use the cheap crap paint, so I can't really rely on them.

What I will probably do is have the tech school order the paint from the local Chevy body shop manager. I've talked with him before, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind ordering the materials for the school. He uses Dupont. So, I'll know I have the good paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how much paint