C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

question r.e throttle position sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:28 AM
emo-vet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question r.e throttle position sensors?

hi guys,
with different brand throttle position sensors,do you still adjust them to the same .54 volts setting do you?
what is equivelent to .54 volts please in other settings?
as my readings all had . (point)then three digits after the decimal point.
have i got it on the wrong setting or some thing ?
its just that with this new 8 t/b intake on my 1991 l98 vette i have it came with a new style different throttle position sensor,it is a SPECTROL that has a d-shape centre piece that slides over throttle shafts and was wandering what t.ps setting i would use with the 8 t/b intake ?
cause i am running 8 seperate t/b,s will the setting still be the same factory setting or not ?
also do i set the volt meter on the dc volts do i please when about to test the settings?
i have a t.ps adaptor plug that i plug tps into the plug,then the factory tps wiring into the other end of the plug .
any ideas or help would be great thanks
cheers
shae

Last edited by emo-vet; 10-24-2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The ECM is still going to need to see roughly .54 volts at closed throttle and 4.5 volts at WOT. Set your DVM to DC volts.
You should have 5 volts and a ground going into the TPS and the output(.54-4.5) heading back to ECM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 AM
LarryK 87
Pro

yeah what he said,style of TB has no effect on the settings ECM still wants to see specific voltages
Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

up to 89, the tps voltage at idle should be ''abt'' o.54-o.56v, the tps has slots in it to allow adjustment...calibration error of most testers makes ''three digit'' setpoint suspect...some say that idle settings up to o.60v help performance (contrary to my experiences)
90+ -- things changed with the advent of newer ecm's with room for more processing...the later ecm takes anything between .3v and .9v and declares that to be ''0'' open throttle and works from that...below .3v or above .9v will set MIL (check engine light)...later tps has no slots as those are useless.
if you use a later t-body with an 89 or earlier ecm, you can file slots in the newer tps to provide required adjustment.

Last edited by redrose; 10-24-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

OKAY - What Redrose Said... on the money
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
The ECM is still going to need to see roughly .54 volts at closed throttle and 4.5 volts at WOT. Set your DVM to DC volts.
You should have 5 volts and a ground going into the TPS and the output(.54-4.5) heading back to ECM.

The NEED for the correct setting is demanded by the ECM. It is not at the whim of the TPS. The three digit equivalent of .54 volts is .540 volts. MY FSM shows the spec with a tolerance. For my '84 it is ".525 ±.075 volts. That means that anywhere between .450 and .600 is acceptable.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 04:47 PM
emo-vet
Pro

Default more help and advice needed please

hi guys,
thanks for your help and time so far.

i just tried to check t.p.s setting again with two different multi meters now and they i put the setting on (20) volts setting (dc) on meter and when i place tps back and forth for the reading, the numbers are showing with a decimal point like this 4.65 volts,not like .465 volts.

why is it showing this ?

is this ok with the decimal point like 4.65 volts ?

to work it out correctly do i just move the decimal point over one space to get the rite reading or some thing ?

do i have the meter set on the wrong setting may be?

also on my tps kit adaptor plug instructions here is what is says,sweep tps back and forth and should read .54 +or - .075 volts, ( .465 to .615 volts) at closed throttle and approx 5 volts at w.o.t like you said.

im lost with the decimal point in the middle of the numbers now,is this because of the different brand of t.p.s sensor i am using may be ?

this tps does have slotted holes for full adjustemnt btw, may be when i fitted up the plug on wires i fitted the wrong wires to each do you reackon may be ?

ok the color wires i have on new brand tps are black,red,green,
i have the tps black wire connected to black factory harness wire, then i have tps red wire connected to blue factory harness wire,lastlky tps green wire connected to grey factory harness wire,is this ok ?

on the gm test plug harness when testing with volt meter,it has three aligator clips,red,black and yellow, well i fitted black clip to black volt meter,then red clip to red volt meter,but the yellow aligator clip i wasnt sure where or what to do with that one ?,so i just left that spare,was this the problem may be ??

as this is not your standrd gm t.p.s remmembering thats all.
hope to hear some more on this guys please and im sory for all the questions guys,i should of become a reporter, lol !!!!

cheers
thanks
shae

Last edited by emo-vet; 10-24-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=emo-vet;1562447247]
may be when i fitted up the plug on wires i fitted the wrong wires to each do you reackon may be ?

yeah, sounds like you're wired backwards on the tps and getting a 4.65v signal that would tell the ecm that throttle is wide open altho really it's at idle...what voltage do you see on the meter if the throttle lever is pushed to wide open??
Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by emo-vet
on the gm test plug harness when testing with volt meter,it has three aligator clips,red,black and yellow, well i fitted black clip to black volt meter,then red clip to red volt meter,but the yellow aligator clip i wasnt sure where or what to do with that one ?,so i just left that spare,was this the problem may be ??
hard to see what you have happening there from here...all three wires in the car's circuit must be hooked up, your meter only needs two wires.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Your TPS connection has three wires. One is a 5.0 volt reference power supply. One is a ground and the third is the rheostat output. As the throttle is opened, the rheostat power should increase from the adjusted low of approx .540 volts up and and close to the full 5 volt input. Connect the wires to the new rheostat (TPS) so the output is the same, on the same wires, as it was with the old TPS. The schematic in your FSM may help. You have your DVOM set correctly, but not connected correctly for adjusting it. Your reading of 4.65 really is four and two thirds volts. That is either the input voltage or the WOT voltage. Now move the one meter probe to the other end of the wiper.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi cfi and redrose,
thanks for your replys back.
so where does the yellow aligator clip on the tps test module connect to please ?
red and black is easy enough.
im not really understanding what you are saying ?
the voltage i am getting when i push/open up wide open is 4.58 volts.
cheers
shae
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 AM
imputor
Intermediate

are you using a stock ecm with an 8 tb setup? if you can find manufacturer data sheets on the new tps units they might have the voltages. If they are different you might have to program your ecm for the new voltages. How many tps's do you have, if the tb's are tied together it would seem you would only need one tps. If the tps does have different voltages then stock and the ecm can't be edited you could fabricate a circuit to rectify the voltages to meet stock ecm requirments.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:51 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi imputor,
how are ya!
thanks for the reply .
at the moment i am using the standard 730 ecm,also i only have one tps and the the t/b are tied up to 4 onto one throttel shaft ,then there is the centre tunr table linkages.
im thinking that might of stuffed up when wiring togeather tps wires and plug just like kindly what REDROSE stated to me earlier.
i put the red wire(voltage/ref) from the tps to the dark blue wire (tps signal) which now i belive is wrong and red should of gone to the grey wire instead.

here is my thinking,
green= signal
red=voltage/ref
black=ground

which there means green wire from tps should go too (b) dark blue wire factory harness,
black wire ground to black,
red wire from tps goes too (c) grey wire 5 volt ecm reference
so i will buy a new plug and hopefully see what happnes.
thanks guys,i really appreciate your help and time.
cheers
shae
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by emo-vet
hi cfi and redrose,
thanks for your replys back.
so where does the yellow aligator clip on the tps test module connect to please ?
red and black is easy enough.
im not really understanding what you are saying ?
the voltage i am getting when i push/open up wide open is 4.58 volts.
cheers
shae
I can't see from here and have no idea what you are referring to when you talk about the "red" the "black", and the "yellow" wires. It would appear the new TPS uses different colored wires that the wires in the cars harness. 4.58 volts at WOT is great. Does the voltage change when you close the throttle? If so, that is where you monitor the voltage when you adjust the TPS.

If you are still having trouble connecting the new TPS, try this. Plug the old TPS into the car's wiring connector. Write down what the volt meter does when connected in various ways between all three terminals. Now, with the new TPS, experiment connecting it in different combinations until you duplicate the original meter responses with the stock TPS.

RACE ON!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
emo-vet
Pro

hi cfi-efi,
yep the wires on the new tps are different to that of the standard tps/factory wire loom,i have a red,green,black wires there.
i beleive i had the red wire (voltage/ref)fitted to the wrong color wire on the factory harness end.
thanks for your help mate, i will give what you said a try.
cheers
shae

Get notified of new replies

To question r.e throttle position sensors?

Quick Reply: question r.e throttle position sensors?