C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Power Steering Fluid?

I changed the power steering fluid in my 92 this weekend. At the time I could not obtain the GM fluid (12345866) so I used the Advance Auto fluid that had purchased for the job. Does anyone know of any problems with running fluid like this? The FSM calls for 12345866 which I believe is a synthetic fluid but I have read elsewhere that the fluid I used is ok. The bottom line is that I do not want to ruin my pump or rack.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM
l1sikes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daily driver '91 was leaking P.S. fluid from the pump seal. Figureing the seal was shot and I had nothing to loose, I topped it off with a parts store's generic Dextron II AFT. Topped it off again the next week. For the next two years (60K + miles) I did not have to top it off again, and the P.S. system was working just fine when I sold it.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by l1sikes
My daily driver '91 was leaking P.S. fluid from the pump seal. Figureing the seal was shot and I had nothing to loose, I topped it off with a parts store's generic Dextron II AFT. Topped it off again the next week. For the next two years (60K + miles) I did not have to top it off again, and the P.S. system was working just fine when I sold it.
We think alike. I also use ATF as a substitute for the PS fluid. It is essentially the same stuff with better additives. My dad does the same thing on his cars (all GM) and none have ever had any problems.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Steve20
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used the Valvoline SynPower PS fluid-very inexepnsive if I remember-under 5 bucks/quart and works great
Old 10-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

What brand did you buy? The Advance Auto Parts site doesn't show an "Advance" brand but it is probably incomplete. If you bought something else, check the web. Pyroil (Valvoline) for instance is OK.

I'm not in agreement with the use AFT group but don't have an empirical reason. Both are light weight oils and the ATF probably has lots of additives that power steering doesn't have. That said, there might be higher sheer stresses in the power steering system than the transmission and the power steering fluid might be designed to handle those better.

I can't find a definitive answer from a reliable source except that no company recommends substituting one for the other -- not following manufacturers' recommendations.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by quickcat
so I used the Advance Auto fluid that had purchased for the job. Does anyone know of any problems with running fluid like this?
Thats pretty much all I've ever used in ANY of my cars. The Corvette Included.

120K+ miles and never any issues. I had to replace the pump once (it failed) and just kept using the cheap stuff. Still no issues.

The expensive synthetic stuff is often overrated IMO.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
miker2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default atf

Originally Posted by Chatman
What brand did you buy? The Advance Auto Parts site doesn't show an "Advance" brand but it is probably incomplete. If you bought something else, check the web. Pyroil (Valvoline) for instance is OK.

I'm not in agreement with the use AFT group but don't have an empirical reason. Both are light weight oils and the ATF probably has lots of additives that power steering doesn't have. That said, there might be higher sheer stresses in the power steering system than the transmission and the power steering fluid might be designed to handle those better.

I can't find a definitive answer from a reliable source except that no company recommends substituting one for the other -- not following manufacturers' recommendations.
i know it's not vette,but the pump i put on my sons taurus last week specifically said to use dextron atf to flush and fill the system.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Fluid?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid?