C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 cross fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:10 AM
bhepp
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya ive heard the pavillions are fun to go to and your right about the ricer comment, They all think they got somethin and only 1 out of 10 actually do if that.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 AM
vettin_it
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

yep just watch out for those evo's and sti's though.
I was cruisin an 84 for a while never really had a problem with any rice.
I try to go to the pavs as much as possible but its hard to get off work though. let me know if you head out there anytime
Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the guys with the S2000 are always fun.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:49 AM
vettin_it
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

the S2000 is a chick car plain and simple. Im pretty sure the makers of the fast and the furious agree.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
OK, here are the magazine numbers. March 83, Road and Track; 84 Vette auto,3.31-1 gears=15.5@88.0mph. Dec. 84, Car and Driver; 85 Vette auto,3.07-1 gears=14.1@95.0mph. Is this a significant performance increase? Could an equally prepped 84 run circles around an 85? Only in someone's dreams. There will always be certain cars that run above their pay grade, but the average 84 is no match for the average 85, case closed.

Paul
Those test numbers for stock Corvettes prove nothing. I never said (there you go again) that a stock Crossfire was faster than than a stock TPI. It was YOU that said:
You have to have a real sense of humor to write stuff like that! There are completely stock TPIs that are faster than your car.
You'd have to take a nap and a half for a 13.80 car to loose to a 14.10 car. What kind of case gets closed when you make a statement on one point and present proof for a totally different point? You have to have a real sense of humor to write stuff like that!

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
crazy247
Intermediate

those R&T times are kinda bad IMO it says the standard is a 15.6 and mine is 24 years old and 180xxx Klm and im no means a good driver but i can get my at 14.7 with a horrible reaction time
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM
elkabong
Pro

Originally Posted by bhepp
I am in phx
We should hook up at the Pavillions.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Those test numbers for stock Corvettes prove nothing. I never said (there you go again) that a stock Crossfire was faster than than a stock TPI. It was YOU that said:You'd have to take a nap and a half for a 13.80 car to loose to a 14.10 car. What kind of case gets closed when you make a statement on one point and present proof for a totally different point? You have to have a real sense of humor to write stuff like that!

RACE ON!!!
Here's what you said CFI-EFI, "Stock TPIs are not a lot better than a Crossfire", "A home rodded Crossfire will run circles around a similarly rodded TPI". Both of these statements are laughably inaccurate. I'm not sure where you got the napping story or the 13.8-14.1 business, that wasn't from me.
Look, I don't want to get into a silly argument. The bottom line is TPI is a big improvement over CFI. That's a simple fact and all I'm saying. If people are happy with their CFIs, great I own 3 Corvettes, I work on Corvettes for a living. I don't have a problem with any year Corvette......................... Can't we all just get along?
Come on CFI-EFI, have a sense of humor, we're on the same side.

Paul

Last edited by Paul Ruggeri; 11-09-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by crazy247
those R&T times are kinda bad IMO it says the standard is a 15.6 and mine is 24 years old and 180xxx Klm and im no means a good driver but i can get my at 14.7 with a horrible reaction time
Your "horrible reaction time" is not a component of your ET. Funny how that works. Mine is 24 yours old too.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had exceptional good luck with mine with only 65k(silver) on it. Even my second one with 219k (red) is a daily driver. The red is fully stock with no engine modifications and from what I understand has had no major work done to it.
I think you'll be happy with the 84.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

I'm not sure where you got the napping story or the 13.8-14.1 business, that wasn't from me.
The "napping" was a word I introduced to emphasize a point. I'll leave it out. Here is my previous post in clearer, hopefully easier to understand language. You said:
There are completely stock TPIs that are faster than your car.
To back up and justify that statement you posted the TPI ET.
OK, here are the magazine numbers... Dec. 84, Car and Driver; 85 Vette auto,3.07-1 gears=14.1@95.0mph.
There, you have established the new, stock, 1985 TPI was good for a 14.1 ET. My Crossfire runs 13.80s.

Now you know where "the 13.8-14.1 business" came from. You provided the 14.1 and I provided the 13.8. Therefore, your own numbers help disprove your statement of:
There are completely stock TPIs that are faster than your car.
Also, since I have learned to never say never, I don't want to be accused of saying that there isn't SOME TPI somewhere that isn't faster than my Crossfire. I, personally, haven't run across the numbers and certainly not the car. As a rule, my car out runs stock and mildly modified TPIs on a regular basis. My car has never been beaten by a TPI that was close to stock.

Thank you for the details on the "in car" head porting. I don't think I care to bend over the car for that long, nor to take the risk of wayward grindings getting into my engine. Besides, as I said, I don't think this tired old dog is really worth the effort.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "napping" was a word I introduced to emphasize a point. I'll leave it out. Here is my previous post in clearer, hopefully easier to understand language. You said:To back up and justify that statement you posted the TPI ET.There, you have established the new, stock, 1985 TPI was good for a 14.1 ET. My Crossfire runs 13.80s.

Now you know where "the 13.8-14.1 business" came from. You provided the 14.1 and I provided the 13.8. Therefore, your own numbers help disprove your statement of:Also, since I have learned to never say never, I don't want to be accused of saying that there isn't SOME TPI somewhere that isn't faster than my Crossfire. I, personally, haven't run across the numbers and certainly not the car. As a rule, my car out runs stock and mildly modified TPIs on a regular basis. My car has never been beaten by a TPI that was close to stock.

Thank you for the details on the "in car" head porting. I don't think I care to bend over the car for that long, nor to take the risk of wayward grindings getting into my engine. Besides, as I said, I don't think this tired old dog is really worth the effort.

RACE ON!!!
OK, I see what you're saying about the times. I'm sure I've seen post by stock TPI owners with faster times. Maybe my memory is faulty. My main point is, all things being equal a TPI is faster than a Crossfire. I don't think that's debatable.
I agree that porting your heads on the car is a lot of work. I wouldn't do unless you're going to pull the manifold anyway and don't want to buy better heads. At the time, the 80s, this was a good solution.

Paul
Old 11-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Hey bhepp, since you live in Phoenix we can meet up at the Pavilions this staurday if you like and meet some other CF owners and join our little group and talk about your CF motor more. We'll look for you anyway.

This CFI vs TPI discussion is getting rather boring and is pointless...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

OK, I see what you're saying about the times. I'm sure I've seen post by stock TPI owners with faster times. Maybe my memory is faulty.
You may have. I'm not saying you haven't. *I* haven't.

My main point is, all things being equal a TPI is faster than a Crossfire. I don't think that's debatable.
I never tried.

I agree that porting your heads on the car is a lot of work. I wouldn't do unless you're going to pull the manifold anyway and don't want to buy better heads. At the time, the 80s, this was a good solution.

Paul
Porting the heads on the car may have provided an affordable, alternative, "service" for some people, back in the day, but if I were of a mind to port my heads, I wouldn't be satisfied with what could be done with them on the car. Like I said, this engine has given it's all.

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Does someone have a gun to your head? Feel free to leave at any time.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

WHY???
I thought
RACE ON!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

... With the Crossfire, one is virtually forced to "do it yourself", for little expense, but significant gains. A home rodded Crossfire will run circles around a similarly rodded (for similar cost) TPI.

To convert a Crossfire to a TPI for an increase in performance would be a huge waste of time and money. To convert a Crossfire to a TPI just so it can receive typical TPI up grades would be too. Now converting it directly to a Mini Ram or a Super Ram, or whatever is a different story.

RACE ON!!!
IMO Xfire was intentionally held back so the TPI "looked" more powerful. Doesn't take much to get a Xfire to run with a TPI motor.
If I hadn't bought a ZR-1, the MR was going to be the next upgrade for my 84 Xfire. As it was, it trapped at 104.5mph with a Xfire manifold.
The motor is a SBC. So it responds to the same mods any SBC does.
Go visit 3rdGen.org to see what people have done with TBI motors.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 cross fire

Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 PM
bhepp
Cruising

Default Buccaneer+elkabong

I might be down for tomorrow night at the pavil, If you see me in the car say what up!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

I'll be going up there this afternoon/tonight and hang out for a few hours, I'll look for you.

As for... The sputum that you post is hilarious and good entertainment about your CF, but still boring and pointless, just give it up already. This is just my opinion and I'm sure yours will vary.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

As for... The sputum that you post is hilarious and good entertainment about your CF, but still boring and pointless, just give it up already. This is just my opinion and I'm sure yours will vary.
WHICH is your opinion??? You have contradicted yourself in a single sentence. That type of hypocrisy defines the credence your posts deserve. Is it "hilarious and good entertainment" or is it "boring and pointless". Make up your mind if you have one.

RACE ON!!!

Quick Reply: 84 cross fire