C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Let the Teardown Begin!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 06:27 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Default Let the Teardown Begin!!!!

Well, just the intake manifold.... :)

Have the usual rear and front intake manifold leaks. The rear is so bad it drips all over the garage floor and also gets on the pre-cat. The stuff that drips on the pre-cat is what bugs me.... it stinks and I'm afraid if it gets hot enough it could catch fire. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it worries me!

I'm leaving town tomorrow so I didn't want to get too far into this, so I didn't even remove the throttle body yet since it still has coolant lines on it (which will be bypassed in the spring). Just removed the plenum so far....

Oh and I must be the luckiest man alive!!! The EGR tube came right off with no stripped torx bits!!! WOW! :D :eek: :D

The ends are pretty rusty so I'll clean 'em with the dremel. The plenum was pretty dirty inside with carbon buildup, too.

When I put it all back together, I'll be putting this adjustable regulator on since it's been on the garage shelf for about a year! It was originally for my '85 that had some motor work on it, but I never got it put on there.

I'll also be pulling the valve covers and repainting them with the MAD valve cover paint. I plan on cleaning up the intake and runners too. Should look good when I'm all done!

happy Thanksgiving everyone!

:D :D :D :D
Old 11-21-2001, 06:33 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Let the Teardown Begin!!!! (Marcho Polo)

Lookin good on your teardown and clean up. Wish I had repainted my valve covers or bought new shiny chrome ones when it was apart. I got lots of spare parts if anything strips or breaks. Chris
Old 11-21-2001, 06:43 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awright! Good job on the pipe...you dodged a bullet, this is mine from last Saturday:
It was a bear as the bolts were frozen in there. Gonna use black or grey RTV on the ends? Easy on starting the bolts threads going into the heads(I speak from experience :cry thank goodness for Helicoil). Sounds like fun.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:51 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

Default Re: Let the Teardown Begin!!!! (89 Paul in cal)

Awright! Good job on the pipe...you dodged a bullet, this is mine from last Saturday:
It was a bear as the bolts were frozen in there. Gonna use black or grey RTV on the ends? Easy on starting the bolts threads going into the heads(I speak from experience :cry thank goodness for Helicoil). Sounds like fun.
OUCH!! I remember seeing your picture last week. That sucks. I was hoping mine wouldn't do that tonight!

When I put the intake on my '85 motor, I used black RTV that came with the gasket set for the ends. I didn't put anything else in there. Plus the engine sat on the stand for a few days before I put it in and started it up, so it had plenty of time to cure. I will be back home Friday morning and hope to have everything put back together by that night so I can let it sit until Sunday before starting it.

Here's my old motor, wish I could get this one as clean!!!!

Old 11-21-2001, 07:44 PM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

You always manage to find something to do to your car, at least its always for the better, keep us updated!
Old 11-21-2001, 09:26 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Wow Marcho :eek: For the first time ever, I wish I had a L98 in my '92! That engine is beautiful! :D
Old 11-21-2001, 11:55 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

Default Re: Let the Teardown Begin!!!! (92Shawnster)

Wow Marcho :eek: For the first time ever, I wish I had a L98 in my '92! That engine is beautiful! :D

Yup, that motor was beautiful! Now the insurance company has the car.... :(

Someday when I get another car for my daily driver I'll pull the motor in the '90 and clean it up like my old one!
Old 11-22-2001, 03:31 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey Buddy,
Wow I never seen that engine pic before on the stand..that looked great!
Good Luck with the intake job...lotsa work but worth it eh?
Btw, when my intake leaks again and I know it will, Im going to use this sealer called "the right stuff" made by permatex.Its like cheeze whiz cans, you push the nozzle and it comes out the tip.
Vettenuts told me about it and said he used it on his rear end job and his intake manifold.
I used it on my rear end to reseal it and its holding up great so far.
Ill be using that for the intake job as well.Supposed to be far superior then the rtv that comes with the gasket kit.

Btw its between 12 and 18 dollars a can depending on where you get it from. :eek:

Talk to you later!
:)
Old 11-22-2001, 08:42 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Let the Teardown Begin!!!! (Bill's86Coupe)

I will second "the right stuff". The stuff is unbelievable. I would not use anything else. Save yourself the headaches and do it right the first time. Had my manifold redone by my mechanic about 2.5 yrs ago while I was in Ireland and it has not leaked one drop. I am currently going through and putting the items in my signiture and I will depend of "the right stuff" again. I am confident that I will have zero leaks. Good luck. autozone carries the stuff.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:23 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Let the Teardown Begin!!!! (ski_dwn_it)

I will second "the right stuff". The stuff is unbelievable.
Are you guys talking about the expanding foam that comes in the red and yellow can? :confused:
Old 11-22-2001, 10:49 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Let the Teardown Begin!!!! (BobMachus)

Bob,
No, It comes in a black and orange can. I think there is a piece of steel with rivets on picture of the tube. The stuff I used was in a small caulk type gun. I think they came out with the can that self extracts itself as the earlier post indicates. The stuff is black or dark gray when dispensed. It is very sticky when first dispensed and then hardens to a very rubbery type texture. It will not move or fail I am sure of that. It is vertually uneffected by heat during normal operating temps. I recently used it on the breather tubes and PVC adapter that mounts through the valve covers. I was always getting a bit of oil show off that area. After a small bit of that smeared around the fittings. Not one bit of oil has been seen since. If I were you I would use the stuff. Get some and experiment on something other than you engine. Then if your happy with the outcome use it for your engine. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Let the Teardown Begin!!!!

Quick Reply: Let the Teardown Begin!!!!