C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 water through heater core

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 84 water through heater core

Does water flow through the heater core on a 84 when the switch is in the closed position?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:32 AM
suks2bu37
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On every car I have ever owned, when the temperature is set to cool, the heater control valve closes and does't allow the hot coolant to go to the heater core. I have seen more clogged up heater cores due to lack of usage. I worked at a dealership and was told by the service manager to turn on the heater once a month and let it run for at least twenty minutes to circulate the coolant through the heater core. If your heater doesn't work in the winter, I can tell you from experience, that you need to take the heater hoses off the heater core and flush water back and forth through the two nipples. You will be amazed at the slime that will come out and your heater will return to its proper heating temp. I have actually seen the heater core so plugged, it wouldn't run water through it until I reverse flowed it with about 30 pounds of water pressure. The slug of slime that came out could be picked up and thrown across the shop. Just my .02.
suks2bu37
Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ps374
Does water flow through the heater core on a 84 when the switch is in the closed position?
It shouldn't. There is a vacuum operated valve, just before the core.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 water through heater core

Quick Reply: 84 water through heater core