C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Scan codes 16, 42, 36, & 34

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:53 AM
J. L. Sonnier
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan codes 16, 42, 36, & 34

I have a 94 w/ approx 80m miles. Opti (GM), plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel pump & sock changed @ about 73M. The car is a basic 5.7 LT1 & to the best of my knowledge kas no mods except a K & N air filter and flowmaster exhaust.

The car killed on me (like turning off the key; no missing, surging, etc) & restarted very easily 3 times in less than 1/2 mile. I had it towed home rather than risking getting into traffic with it.

A mechanic friend came over & of course, it ran perfectly. He scanned it & got the following codes.
16 low resolution pulse failure
42 EST grounded
36 high resolution pulse failure
34 MAP sensor

Till I can figure out what the problem is, I dont want to risk getting in traffic & another wrecker bill.

The codes have been erased & the mechanic is going to check with a friend of his at the local chevy dealership to get some input.

Suggestions, recommendations etc would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 AM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by J. L. Sonnier
I have a 94 w/ approx 80m miles. Opti (GM), plugs, wires, fuel filter, fuel pump & sock changed @ about 73M. The car is a basic 5.7 LT1 & to the best of my knowledge kas no mods except a K & N air filter and flowmaster exhaust.

The car killed on me (like turning off the key; no missing, surging, etc) & restarted very easily 3 times in less than 1/2 mile. I had it towed home rather than risking getting into traffic with it.

A mechanic friend came over & of course, it ran perfectly. He scanned it & got the following codes.
16 low resolution pulse failure
42 EST grounded
36 high resolution pulse failure
34 MAP sensor

Till I can figure out what the problem is, I dont want to risk getting in traffic & another wrecker bill.

The codes have been erased & the mechanic is going to check with a friend of his at the local chevy dealership to get some input.

Suggestions, recommendations etc would be appreciated.
not familiar with the LT1(other than wishing I had one), but it sounds like it might be an ECM failure to me, with that array of codes... I would suspect the opti, with the exception of the last code...

Cheers,
Michael
Old 12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks like a bad opti.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM
J. L. Sonnier
Cruising

Originally Posted by mk842766
not familiar with the LT1(other than wishing I had one), but it sounds like it might be an ECM failure to me, with that array of codes... I would suspect the opti, with the exception of the last code...

Cheers,
Michael
It has been throwing the 34 Map code, but with no evident running problems; so the 34 code could have already been there when it started killing; does that ad any light? Also, how to test the ECM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 PM
J. L. Sonnier
Cruising

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Looks like a bad opti.
GM opti w/ less than 8m miles, garage kept, driven in rain once since replacing; do these things crap out that frequently? How do you test whether it is the opti? When it went out the first time, it would hesitate backfire & miss for a bit under strong acceleration.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

My first opti went at 12k, the second at 8k later, and the car was maybe driven in the rain twice in that timeframe. My car sat alot, and the Gen I optis seem to collect moisture when not in use. I've since upgraded to the Gen II vented opti.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:17 AM
RACER 1993
Racer

If you can start the car and just let it idle you will probably get at least the Opti codes again after a few minutes. If that Opti is going bad it will show up again soon without driving. The car can't run without the Low res. pulses. They are what tells the ignition to fire the plugs, and provide cylinder identification.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 PM
J. L. Sonnier
Cruising

Originally Posted by RACER 1993
If you can start the car and just let it idle you will probably get at least the Opti codes again after a few minutes. If that Opti is going bad it will show up again soon without driving. The car can't run without the Low res. pulses. They are what tells the ignition to fire the plugs, and provide cylinder identification.
Racer: No problems starting. I took her out & drove about 5 miles; got on it hard a few times on the way; turned her off & let her sit for about 45 minutes; she started up fine; ran her the 5 miles home & got on her hard several more times. The 5 miles involved light traffic & several traffic lights. Absolutely no symptoms, & I did not notice the check engine light come on.
What else can I do to check out the opti &/or ECM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I have 3 basic suggestions. The opti is the obvious of all choices and is characteristic of what happens as a multitude of symptoms can occur. My second suspect could be the ICM which might cause some runability problems but would not explain all the codes. Also check the coil wire for any arking just above the opti where it passes thru the water pump in close quarters.

I would clear the codes, run the car and see if they return or what result might be. It might be just unfortunate you received a bad opti. If it was early than a 94, I would look to the ECM. But the 94 and up uses an PCM which does basically the same, but is a much more reliable computer with less problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Scan codes 16, 42, 36, & 34

Quick Reply: Scan codes 16, 42, 36, & 34