C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Manual Fan Switch Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM
MY93TOY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I did it this way also about 4 years ago or so on my 94. I obviously connected to the secondary fans relay and used the dark blue wire #473 to close the relay. I never thought of getting a fan kit. I just used the parts that I usually have at home.

FYI – When the switch closed and the relay is energized, the PCM sees this as a fault since its not expecting to see a short at that point at that time since it did not tell it to close the relay. So it will throw a code (can’t remember I think 78?) that will always be stored in the PCM. Will not affect anything and no indication (SES) that it is stored.

Respectfully disagree with much of this. My cooling system works exactly right as it was designed with no abnormal problems. Here in Orlando where its hot most of the time, and hotter in the summer, the primary cooling fan just does not pull enough air in to keep things cool when standing in traffic. My A/C runs 99% of the time, even in the winter to keep the moisture off the inside of the windshield.

The duty cycle of the secondary fan is much less than the primary which runs all the time when the A/C is on. I only turn on the secondary fan when I get over about 210* or if it looks like I will be stuck for a while in traffic. The usage of the secondary fan is quite low and is probably no more than if it came on itself, but I am just doing it at a lower temperature. Secondary fans are not burning up.

Once I get rolling I can shut all fans off and come down to 195*. With only one fan running its doing the best it can in Orlando, which is not good enough when hot in traffic. With the second fan running the cooling is extraordinary better. There is no problem, things are working as designed.

As designed – opinion. The radiators are under designed for the car. I changed mine from a stock 7/8’“ GM to a new stock 1 ¼” GM. Made a nice difference. Larger radiators will help even more

Charge on

Were did you put the second wire off the switch to get a good ground?

After you get the code (78) does the code turn off when the switch is open to stop the fan?
In the Mid-America's kit instructions it has 94-95 will get this code. I have a 93 will I not get this code?

Thanks!

Last edited by MY93TOY; 04-18-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Surfin' Elvis
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only switched the secondary fan. Put the switch just to the left of the stering column on the flat pastic under the tach. Grounded the wire to the far left side of the dash under the kick panel. All is well in Corvette land.
Now all I have to do is get the 80 L-82 finished so I can sell it! Sweet car, just don't need it any more.
Thansk to all who offered their help!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MY93TOY

After you get the code (78) does the code turn off when the switch is open to stop the fan?
In the Mid-America's kit instructions it has 94-95 will get this code. I have a 93 will I not get this code?

Thanks!
I do not believe that you will get that code because I don’t believe that code exists in the ECM firmware. The PCM is a much different kind of unit (different DTCs) doing the same basics but a bit more elaborate. Check this link, I don’t see the error code for the 93.

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/1992_93_DTC_Codes.html

FYI - The 78 error code that is set in the 94 does not light the service engine light. You would never know the code was set unless you checked for it. Once the code is set it will stay in there. I think you need a 100 ignition cycles for it to clear itself, but who cares. Does not affect anything.

The place I used for a ground was just forward of the relays there is a ground lug near the horn. I used that bolt. I used a double wire in a single jacket and ran it inside to car. I did not want to cut anything up, so I mounted the switch below my seat on the track pipe.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 PM
MY93TOY
Pro

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I do not believe that you will get that code because I don’t believe that code exists in the ECM firmware. The PCM is a much different kind of unit (different DTCs) doing the same basics but a bit more elaborate. Check this link, I don’t see the error code for the 93.

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/1992_93_DTC_Codes.html

FYI - The 78 error code that is set in the 94 does not light the service engine light. You would never know the code was set unless you checked for it. Once the code is set it will stay in there. I think you need a 100 ignition cycles for it to clear itself, but who cares. Does not affect anything.

The place I used for a ground was just forward of the relays there is a ground lug near the horn. I used that bolt. I used a double wire in a single jacket and ran it inside to car. I did not want to cut anything up, so I mounted the switch below my seat on the track pipe.

Thanks for you quick reply!
I'm like you I don’t want to cut anything up. I like where you put the
switch.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Rich Gene Everett
Cruising

Default fan switch mod

Hi IceDazzlr,
I too have a 94 and same situation as you had. I am very interested in doing the switch, however i am not good at electric stuff and it scares me but im willing to try. Can you do me a solid please? A write up on how to do this for dummies (me) with pics, how too, simple instructions please. Im in cali and its hot here. Please help. Please send to my email pumasixtynine@gmail.com thank you.

Originally Posted by IceDazzlr
Thanks for the help. Installed my manual fans swith tonight and it's fantastic. Both fans come on when I want and it does help cool the car when the temp gets above 215 degrees. I love it!
Old 06-01-2021, 11:07 PM
dt25
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of running wires, I unplugged my A/C and pushed the A/C button on the dash with the motor running. The primary kicks on, but my A/C does not. Great hack if you don’t need A/C.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:01 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

You can run the radiator fans by turning on the air conditioning. No wires, no mods, no work required. They come factory this way, and it cools down the engine quickly.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:47 PM
86project
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fan control switch.

Originally Posted by jfb
I installed my own switch on my 87, it should be the same as a 94. Connect a wire from the fan relay ground wire (green/wh on an 87) and from the engine compartment snake it through the rubber boot in the door and into the passenger compartment. Connect the wire to one switch teminal and ground the other switch terminal. With the ignition on, when you turn on the switch, the fan will run.
Hello JFB, I will be doing the the same thing on my 86, you said to run the wire thru the rubber boot in the door, the only rubber boot I have is for the door off & on lite switch in the door jamb. is that the one you're talking about? also why would you run the wire to the passenger compartment being that fan relay is on the drivers side of the car near the battery? I think I can mount a switch somewhere on the left side of the dash. Your post was made in 2008, I hope you're still around. Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply: Manual Fan Switch Installation