C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

heater control valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
mrbonzia
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default heater control valve

i have a 84 c4 can this be bypassed and still have heat
Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

If you mean the valve that determines whether hot coolant flows to the inside of the car and through the heater core, then you could bypass it. You would just have heat all the time. If you meant the heater core, because it is leaking, then the answer would be no. You can bypass it so that the hot coolant doesn't enter the inside of the car but then no, or little, heat.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 PM
mrbonzia
Pro

HEATER CORE IS FINE just very little heat was trying to see the options there are for the valve seems to be a hard item to find
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this the part? http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...0&dept_id=1193

You could also, fabricate a manual one using plumbing parts from the hardware store.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you tried just pulling the vacuum line off it and see if the heater works better, without vacuum it should be fully open all the time.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:18 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

You can splice a sifferent one into the hose from another car. The one on my 80 Vette also fits a Dodge truck.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a pic of mine, after removing the valve part. I have heat when I need it, and cold AC when I need it.
For what it's worth, GM eliminated the valve somehere around 1988.
The following users liked this post:
Black LS2 (12-22-2015)
Old 01-27-2008, 11:13 AM
mrbonzia
Pro

found the problem vacumm liones inside the car at the heater controls are bad
Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 PM
fat dawg
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a little help concerning "heater control valve" I am confused.
Heater control valve or heater control valve for engne oil cooler system. Heater will not work and I am trying to figure out what I need. The latter has been discontinued and the former does not seem to be what I want.

HEEPPPPP

FAT DAWG
Old 12-19-2008, 07:42 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fat dawg
Need a little help concerning "heater control valve" I am confused.
Heater control valve or heater control valve for engne oil cooler system.
The oil cooler , if fitted has no control; sees full coolant flow all the time.
The heater control valve is on the engine side of the firewall where the hoses enter .Can be bypassed or replaced with non Vette one as mentioned
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
silfox
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Here is a pic of mine, after removing the valve part. I have heat when I need it, and cold AC when I need it.
Without the heater control valve, it would seem you would have have hot coolant flowing through the heater at all times. How do you keep it from blowing hot air inside all the time. Guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure exactly how the blend air doors inside the heater work so it would seem that even when you want AC, you would still have the hot coolant flowing into the system and screwing up things.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silfox
Without the heater control valve, it would seem you would have have hot coolant flowing through the heater at all times. How do you keep it from blowing hot air inside all the time. Guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure exactly how the blend air doors inside the heater work so it would seem that even when you want AC, you would still have the hot coolant flowing into the system and screwing up things.
You answered your own question....sort off...The blend door will will block the heater core air when controls set to cold air and vice verse. The later C4's do not have a "conrol valve" and coolant is always flowing through the heater core...

Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Randy Ferraro
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this thread about 2 years ago and it did not help me then. My 84 had a leaky heater control valve. Running heat all the time meant having lukewarm air conditioning, too much hot air in the cabin. So, with heat in an 84 it is all heat or nothing. Replacing the factory $130 valve was not in the budget, and no amount of bypassing solved the problem. I live in the desert where spring days can be 85 degrees and nights can be in the high 30s. I finally solved the problem with Four Seasons part #74800 Heater Control Valve. It costs about $30. It cleaned up the plumbing in the engine compartment quite a bit. The original design was a clusterf@#k. The Four Seasons part mounted right up by the heater core nicely and works exactly as the factory did. If ever I have to find this part number again for future repairs, then here it is.
Four Seasons part # 74800 Heater Control Valve
The following users liked this post:
raymos (12-21-2015)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
You're right, in 88 they used an electric diverter door, which I don't like because it keeps hot ant-freeze comming in the car all the time. The valve vacumm line works with the control unit inside the car and opens the valve when the heat is turned on, there are replacement valves that are cheap ($20), the OEM's are expensive and are an elaborate set-up of metal tubes. I know people who have installed a simple ball-valve from the hardware store and just open it in the winter and close it in the summer. I was thinking of doing this, because in my car the A/C has to fight the hot anti-freeze inside the heatercore in the summer. I think a control valve was the better design. There are aftermarket valves that are cable controlled, almost like a ballvalve but you cortrol it from a lever inside the car, it eliminates the need for vacumm and bypasses the dash control for on & off.

Last edited by caddyboy84; 03-30-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:21 PM
raymos
Cruising

Originally Posted by Randy Ferraro
I read this thread about 2 years ago and it did not help me then. My 84 had a leaky heater control valve. Running heat all the time meant having lukewarm air conditioning, too much hot air in the cabin. So, with heat in an 84 it is all heat or nothing. Replacing the factory $130 valve was not in the budget, and no amount of bypassing solved the problem. I live in the desert where spring days can be 85 degrees and nights can be in the high 30s. I finally solved the problem with Four Seasons part #74800 Heater Control Valve. It costs about $30. It cleaned up the plumbing in the engine compartment quite a bit. The original design was a clusterf@#k. The Four Seasons part mounted right up by the heater core nicely and works exactly as the factory did. If ever I have to find this part number again for future repairs, then here it is.
Four Seasons part # 74800 Heater Control Valve

I went this route today on my 1984 Vette. Had to purchase the valve and about 18" of rubber tubing to connect the lower heater core at the firewall to the port of the valve (smaller diameter). The 74800 valve has 4 ports but you only need 3 so you need to plug the other smaller diameter port with a cap and clamp, which you can purchase from an auto store. The large ports on the valve will connect to the existing tubing from the back of the block and the elbow that comes off the hard line in front of the valve.

Last edited by raymos; 12-22-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Please post the pic...mine is OK..........for now. I am sure the day will come.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:43 AM
raymos
Cruising

Originally Posted by Black LS2
Please post the pic...mine is OK..........for now. I am sure the day will come.
Pic added to my post. Enjoy
Old 01-11-2021, 03:49 PM
Elijah Collins
3rd Gear

How did you hook it up sine the 4 seasons has 4 stems and the factory one only has 3
Old 01-12-2021, 08:40 AM
raymos
Cruising

Originally Posted by Elijah Collins
How did you hook it up sine the 4 seasons has 4 stems and the factory one only has 3
Use a plug like the one in the link below. I originally used a plug from a local parts store made of rubber and it was fine for several years but is now dry and cracking. Replaced with this one.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get notified of new replies

To heater control valve

Quick Reply: heater control valve