C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Performance Increase??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 02:30 PM
Mark92LT1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Increase??

This summer, I had a blown head gasket and decided to replace it myself. While having the heads off, I had them pocket ported/polished, and had a competition valve job done. Also, the EGR tube (?) that goes into the exhaust headers, was fused to the header, so I got a new EGR tube, and a set of SLP shorty headers. After re-assembling everything, I put in some new spark plugs, cut my air filter lid, and did a K&N air filter. A week or two later, my fuel pressure regulater bit the dust, so I installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. So in the end, I have ported/polished heads, slp shorty headers, adustable fuel pressure reg., a 180deg thermostat, new plugs, a cut lid and K&N filter (all from a completely stock engine). Now I feel a SOTP increase, but am wondering if it is just my imagination. Would I get enough of a HP increase to feel anything from these upgrades? Any estimates on 1/4 mile time? (what is the stock 1/4 mile time on a 92 LT1?)

Also, an unrelated question- the previous owner of the car left a non-breathing car cover on for too long, which kinda messed up the paint on most of the car (the finish is pretty cloudy). How much does an OK paint job cost? (something to just make it look better then it is. I am a college student, so I cant exactly afford a show quality paint job!). Thanks!

-Mark
Old 12-05-2001, 02:43 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Re: Performance Increase?? (Mark92LT1)

Mark,

I have a '92 LT1, auto tranny, and a 2.59 rear end. With only a cut lid and K&N filter for mods, I run in the low 14's at the track. Trap speeds run 100-101.5 mph, so I'm pretty sure that if I could get my 60 foot times down to something reasonable, I should be in the high 13's. I've only just started racing at the local dragstrip, so I fall into the category of clueless newbie. I still need to learn the right amount of throttle at the start to avoid standing still with the tires burning.

I would guess with your mods that you should expect mid-to-low 13's, depending on your rear axle ratio and what kind of tires you have.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:45 PM
fade_to_black
Pro

Default Re: Performance Increase?? (Mark92LT1)

Definitely! I should say that you should EASILY be able to break into the high twelves. Those are some nice mods for increase....although when I had the heads off I would have Port and Polished the intake as well. And then...if the funds permitted, might as well do a cam. But thats just me :D Anyway, Those are some NICE mods! :cheers:
Old 12-05-2001, 02:46 PM
Mark92LT1
Advanced

Default Re: Performance Increase?? (MTVette)

Thanks for the info MTVette. I probably should have included those extras about my car! :) I actualy have an auto as well, with the stock 2.59 rear end (thinking changing the gears may be next summer's project!) The tires are Mich Pilots. If I could be in the 13s, I would be extremely happy! (now I just have to find the time/guts to actualy go to a drag strip and run her)

-Mark
Old 12-05-2001, 06:06 PM
jay17
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Performance Increase?? (fade_to_black)

You will definitely be in the 13s. Mine just has a k&n and muffler eliminators. My best is 13.843@103.211 with those crappy 2.59s.

[Modified by jay17, 4:07 PM 12/5/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Increase??

Quick Reply: Performance Increase??