C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vette Tech Tri-Y Status?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Jeff M
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette Tech Tri-Y Status?

In Brian's defense I haven't e-mailed nor called him in a while since I assume he is busy. Was just wondering if anyone else has any updated info or has received their headers yet.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff M
In Brian's defense I haven't e-mailed nor called him in a while since I assume he is busy. Was just wondering if anyone else has any updated info or has received their headers yet.
I am waiting for some positive comment before I jump into this line.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I got mine

I bought some of these headers in February. EARLY Feb. I didn't get them until early March. It took awhile and I got pretty impatient, but they did come.
They look VERY good and I'm in the beginning phases of the install. Mine came with the smog hookups and are the 1-5/8". When you get them you'll notice the bolt on reducers aren't reducers, but expanders. Mine come off the 2-1/2" collectors into the 2-1/2" bolt ons and then it expands to 3". Brian told me this is to assist exhaust velocity.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Jeff M
Pro

Thanks for the update Bob, let us know how the install goes. I'm very curious as I ordered a set with all smog for my 92. Is there any way you could post some pics? I'd just like to see a few pics of the headers prior to install.

Thanks,

jeff
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by corvette_bob
When you get them you'll notice the bolt on reducers aren't reducers, but expanders. Mine come off the 2-1/2" collectors into the 2-1/2" bolt ons and then it expands to 3". Brian told me this is to assist exhaust velocity.
I'm not sure this is correct info... I did understand he provides an expander for the purpose of adapting to larger exhaust pipes. But, the exhaust velocity aid (as I understood it) is the piece inside the collector.

And, moving gases entering a larger area lose velocity.

gp
Old 05-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some of these headers in February. EARLY Feb. I didn't get them until early March. It took awhile and I got pretty impatient, but they did come.
They look VERY good and I'm in the beginning phases of the install. Mine came with the smog hookups and are the 1-5/8". When you get them you'll notice the bolt on reducers aren't reducers, but expanders. Mine come off the 2-1/2" collectors into the 2-1/2" bolt ons and then it expands to 3". Brian told me this is to assist exhaust velocity.
I've been hearing about some people working with "expanders" lately. I'd still like to know the Primary, Secondary, and Collector diameters and lengths.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 AM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I'm not sure this is correct info... I did understand he provides an expander for the purpose of adapting to larger exhaust pipes. But, the exhaust velocity aid (as I understood it) is the piece inside the collector.

And, moving gases entering a larger area lose velocity.

gp
I can't say I understand it all. I don't have that big-o-brain for it. But what I posted is what he told me. "IF" I remember the conversation correctly, once the gasses enter the collector, the "pickle" as he called it kept things moving. Remember that as tri-Y's, the pulses are coming thru differently than standard long tubes. It all is a design to keep things moving. As the gasses get thru the collector and enter the expander, the shape of the expander acts as a venturi to help pull the gasses out to the collector. I haven't finalised how I'm gonna do it, but I will either get a custom 3" Y made to run to the convertor, or use the flowmaster reducers like these to go into a Y then the convertor.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flowmaster/744771/10002/-1

I'll try to post some pics, but don't hold me to it.

BTW,My primaries are 1-5/8", secondaries are 2-1/4". I haven't measured the lengths.

Last edited by corvette_bob; 05-09-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While 3" pipe will cost a bit more, I think it would be best with the Expander. It seems to me that necking back to 2 1/2" would defeat the function of it, or at least disrupt the Exhaust flow. Of course 3" with individual Cats, then back to an X or H would be even better.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 AM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

Brian was going to call me at the end of March as he put me on the list. When I called him in April he said that the headers are at the coaters and should be done in a week, still have not heard from him and getting a little pi$$ed.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 PM
TJM
Drifting

I hope I am the list as well. Brian's business isn't headers and correspondence is "awkward".

Pretty much depending on "The Kindness of Other's" to stay updated. [Thank you Gregg].

The 3" thing is a tad surprising? I wonder if this is like Stahl's collector ?

I wonder more what affect my 2-1/2" free flow cat will do? I was hoping it would serve as sort of a crossover affect?

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:58 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Of all people, I certainly can't blame you guys for getting impatient w/ Brian. I got impatient as he!!. I even googled his address and looked for it on a satellite pic. When I told him this, he explained that his business address is set far off the road and not readily visible that way. I even called the local sheriffs office asking if the address was real. They confirmed that it was an actual address. In a later call, Brian also explained to me that these headers aren't made in one place. I don't recall where, but they are built by someone else. Then they are shipped to the coaters in a nearby town for plating. While there they are baked to remove the impurities from the metal, then sandblasted and coated. Then they're placed in a tumbler to give them the bright finish. Afterward they are boxed and sent to the local carrier for shipment.

I never asked, but I think he does what alot of small businesses do. I think he waits for a minimum quantity order to be built before starting the whole process. You have to keep after him, but he'll get them out to you. I bugged the heck out of him, as much as several times a day for updates. Best of luck guys.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:12 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

What is the cost for a set? I remember seeing these on ebay but I wasn't sure if it was a real deal or a not.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
What is the cost for a set? I remember seeing these on ebay but I wasn't sure if it was a real deal or a not.
I got mine for $687, shipped. This was for a set of coated, 1-5/8" w/smog hookups.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 AM
OMINOUS_87
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got mine for $687, shipped. This was for a set of coated, 1-5/8" w/smog hookups.

where are the pics Brother Bob???
Old 05-18-2008, 12:44 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Originally Posted by OMINOUS_87
where are the pics Brother Bob???
You got me there. Since I got another thread going besides being a part of this one, I'll try to get a few and post them tonight. Got social plans today, but I'll try tonight.

Last edited by corvette_bob; 05-18-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 05-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Jeff M
Pro

Just got a call from Brian today said mine were done and ready to ship, I e-mailed him my info for PayPal purposes. As soon as I have them I'll try and post a few pics, might need a little help as I haven't posted anything in quite some time. It will be a while before I install them as I'm working on a motor project not to mention all the other albeit less important responsibilities of life.

jeff
Old 05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Default Got some pics

I'm gonna try to post a few pics. My apologies to the mods if they come out too large.

These 1st two pics are obviously the collector. I have the expander bolted on so you can see how it looks on there

this is a side view of the left collector w/ expander. Sorry it doesn't show better, but this is where the exhaust exits the 2-1/2" collector into the expander

This side view of the left side tubes is a bit cropped. It doesn't show the smog hook-up on the #3 tube. On these headers us L98 guys will need to switch over to a single air tube into the #3, and #4 pipes. This how the LT1's did it and all it takes is a bit of heater hose to make the left side connection reach. That's right, heater hose. Since it's on the cold side of the check valve, a good quality hose is all you need and all the dealer service and parts dept. said they use.

These last two are of the bracket I made up to connect a brace from the back of the alternator to the engine. Don't just leave this off as it's there to stop the vibration that'll bust your alum. alternator bracketry.
If you look on the pic of the whole header, you'll see where I've drilled and tapped a 3/8-16 hole in the header flange behind the #5 tube. This will be where it mounts to the flange Via factory bolt immediately behind the #5 tube and the tapped hole. The steel alternator bar will attach to the top and run to alt. I haven't made that part yet as it's gonna have to be a "fit-at-assembly" deal.

There you go, I hope this helps you guys. Again, sorry if the pics are too large.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Tech Tri-Y Status?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 PM
OMINOUS_87
Instructor

dont get the expander? looks like its just flaired to 3inch after the flange as most folks will be hooking into 3inch exhaust systems

how is the weld quality? didnt see any pics up of the primary openings, looks kinda busy inside that collector where the expander bolts up, is there any obstructions in there or do the pics just distrot things?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Originally Posted by OMINOUS_87
dont get the expander? looks like its just flaired to 3inch after the flange as most folks will be hooking into 3inch exhaust systems

how is the weld quality? didnt see any pics up of the primary openings, looks kinda busy inside that collector where the expander bolts up, is there any obstructions in there or do the pics just distrot things?
1st, you should read or re-read post #7. Weld quality seems good.
At the end of the collector it looks a little like they got too happy with the weld bead, but that's liveable. If absolutely necessary I guess I could knock it down w/ the die grinder and spray it w/ some hi-temp paint.
The primary tubes look just fine.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM
OMINOUS_87
Instructor

1st, you should read or re-read post #7. Weld quality seems good.
At the end of the collector it looks a little like they got too happy with the weld bead, but that's liveable. If absolutely necessary I guess I could knock it down w/ the die grinder and spray it w/ some hi-temp paint.
The primary tubes look just fine.

its not a question of expander functionality, its a question of the choice of vette tech to have the flange located before vs after the expander...looking at the welds it appears from the pics that there mabe be some trurbulance introduced at that point...but again it could be due to the angle of the pic not the actuall wleds or real world alignemnt of things..

Quick Reply: Vette Tech Tri-Y Status?