C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 LT1 coolent sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default 94 LT1 coolent sensor

for my 94 the digital reading stays at 142* while the analog gauge reads around 200*. thus throws a code of 15. keeping the the car into a closed loop system. checked the OHM from the sensor from the water pump to the ECM and it checked out fine. so the FSM says its either the switch which we replaced 3 times or the dash cluster. or could it be the ECM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
for my 94 the digital reading stays at 142* while the analog gauge reads around 200*. thus throws a code of 15. keeping the the car into a closed loop system. checked the OHM from the sensor from the water pump to the ECM and it checked out fine. so the FSM says its either the switch which we replaced 3 times or the dash cluster. or could it be the ECM.
I believe there are 2 different coolant temp senders for the cluster gages, one for the digital gauge and one for the analog gauge. The analog one is in the head....check or change the one in the cylinder head. You can also check the cluster for trouble codes.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by engle1147
I believe there are 2 different coolant temp senders for the cluster gages, one for the digital gauge and one for the analog gauge. The analog one is in the head....check or change the one in the cylinder head. You can also check the cluster for trouble codes.
pulled the code using a scanner and got code #15
Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pulled the code using a scanner and got code #15
I don't have a FSM in front of me right now I'm out of town and my books are back at home.....maybe someone else will chime in to help with the code issue.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:12 PM
joecarter85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The digital temp. readout, which is also the temp. reading used by your PCM, is controlled by the temp sensor mounted on the front of your WP. If it is reading 142*, then I would recommend replacing it. About $15. That 142* will mess up the PCM, and probably never let it go "closed loop".

The analog gauge reading of 200* sounds right on, and this is a single wire temp sensor located on the passenger side of the block, just below and to the right of the #8 cylinder. This temp. sensor is ONLY used for the analog gauge and not used by your PCM.

code 15 - Coolant temperature sensor signal indicates a temperature colder than -56 F.

Did you say you tried 3 different temp sensors, and you always get 142* ? (you used the word "switch")
-check the integrity of the connector to the temp. sensor
-I would check continuity from your temp. sensor connector back to PCM ( 2 wire connector, both go back to PCM))
-with key in "on" position, but not runnig, the non-black lead wire should read +5v, which is reference voltage supplied
from the PCM to the temp sensor. The other wire(black) is a digital PCM ground (not chassis ground).

When engine cold, your dig. should be reading approx. outside ambient temperature (but usually reads higher). If you have tried 3 temp. sensors, and all read 142*, I would suspect a problem with
1) connector
2) bad contact at PCM connector (inspect and re-seat)
3) open or short somewhere between connector and PCM
4) I would suspect a bad PCM as last resort.

Last edited by joecarter85; 01-25-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

with joecarter85...right on.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by joecarter85
The digital temp. readout, which is also the temp. reading used by your PCM, is controlled by the temp sensor mounted on the front of your WP. If it is reading 142*, then I would recommend replacing it. About $15. That 142* will mess up the PCM, and probably never let it go "closed loop".

The analog gauge reading of 200* sounds right on, and this is a single wire temp sensor located on the passenger side of the block, just below and to the right of the #8 cylinder. This temp. sensor is ONLY used for the analog gauge and not used by your PCM.

code 15 - Coolant temperature sensor signal indicates a temperature colder than -56 F.

Did you say you tried 3 different temp sensors, and you always get 142* ? (you used the word "switch")
-check the integrity of the connector to the temp. sensor
-I would check continuity from your temp. sensor connector back to PCM ( 2 wire connector, both go back to PCM))
-with key in "on" position, but not runnig, the non-black lead wire should read +5v, which is reference voltage supplied
from the PCM to the temp sensor. The other wire(black) is a digital PCM ground (not chassis ground).

When engine cold, your dig. should be reading approx. outside ambient temperature (but usually reads higher). If you have tried 3 temp. sensors, and all read 142*, I would suspect a problem with
1) connector
2) bad contact at PCM connector (inspect and re-seat)
3) open or short somewhere between connector and PCM
4) I would suspect a bad PCM as last resort.

since I bought the car 1.5 years I have put 3 senders in at the water pump. I checked the rest you mentioned. I guess I will look at it more today. thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

fired the car up this morning. no codes were thrown the digital read out was working like it should. so now what
Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM
joecarter85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fired the car up this morning. no codes were thrown the digital read out was working like it should. so now what
....what else.....drive it like you stole it !!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by joecarter85
....what else.....drive it like you stole it !!

this car hates me. sounds like a plan.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ground problem?

have you experienced any other 'wierd' electrical problems?

If so, I would suspect a problem with one or more ground points (e.g. driver side bell housing).

Otherwise, suspect a wire or connector problem to the temp sender or PCM. Suggest with key on (but engine not running) try moving the wire/harness around and see if the digital temp changes.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by theadmiral94
have you experienced any other 'wierd' electrical problems?

If so, I would suspect a problem with one or more ground points (e.g. driver side bell housing).

Otherwise, suspect a wire or connector problem to the temp sender or PCM. Suggest with key on (but engine not running) try moving the wire/harness around and see if the digital temp changes.
no I haven't experienced any other weird problems not so much for a 15 year old car. this problem has been with the car since I bought it. when I bought the car the wire connector at the water pump was bubbabed up real bad. maybe it has a bad connection in the wire end. that shows up ever now and then.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 LT1 coolent sensor

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 coolent sensor