C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Preliminary results for the new PT88mm Turbo Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Preliminary results for the new PT88mm Turbo Corvette

Hey guys,

I know its been a few days since I expected to get the car finished but it took a little longer then expected. well worth the way however!

The first wave of results which was just 3 pulls on the dyno at National Speed Inc. the company I now work for netted the results below, I didn't have any time to get any tuning or raising of the boost due to it being an Imports Vs. Domestic dyno shootout and each car only got 3 pulls, but it was enough to get the AFR flattened out a little bit but not to add back in some timing I pulled for safety or to turn the boost up. I need to remap my VE tables for the higher boost levels I will be testing this turbo on my tuibo setup to.

anyways, here is some video. the uncorrected numbers are:

939RWHP

896RWTQ

I don't have the graph yet, Our dyno operator was exhausted so I will likely havethem tomorrow sometime.

the SAE corrected number was 906RWHP.

boost was set at 24psi on base pressure with the new Eboost 2. pretty slick controller.. looking forward to turbing it up this week after work and trying to slay that 1000+rwhp mark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cccYW...e=channel_page

Thanks guys I will get the engine bay cleaned up a bit more and take few pictures. this turbo required additional fabrication and a shorter radiator but it is working just fine, never saw temps over 190 and at cruise they sit steady at 178*s.

will post back with Graph as soon as I have it!

Chris
Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Wow!

Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Note to self: Save for Chris' turbo system!!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:34 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys!

I am very much looking forward to finalizing the tune on the car and hotting my 4 figure mark from a 355cid ltx based motor.

there are still several things that can be done to maximize power such as port the intake manifold which is a un touched edelbrock and also put in a slightly bigger camshaft as the baby 224 224 .570 .570 115LSA cam along with the unported manifold is holding me back on RPM which would net some much broader torque figures and higher horsepower.. that is a project for the next round though.. I will hit the 1000rwhp mark on a docile driver friendly street car that anyone can drive normally without bucking and surging and proper manners. that was the goal and it is within reach!

I will keep everyone updated and I know if FinnC4 vette sees this soon he will be very happy at the capability of this kit for his own project!

Chris
Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 AM
FinnC4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lcvette
Thanks guys!

I am very much looking forward to finalizing the tune on the car and hotting my 4 figure mark from a 355cid ltx based motor.

there are still several things that can be done to maximize power such as port the intake manifold which is a un touched edelbrock and also put in a slightly bigger camshaft as the baby 224 224 .570 .570 115LSA cam along with the unported manifold is holding me back on RPM which would net some much broader torque figures and higher horsepower.. that is a project for the next round though.. I will hit the 1000rwhp mark on a docile driver friendly street car that anyone can drive normally without bucking and surging and proper manners. that was the goal and it is within reach!

I will keep everyone updated and I know if FinnC4 vette sees this soon he will be very happy at the capability of this kit for his own project!

Chris
I know I will be very happy I'm sure this thing is gonna give me a permanent

Awesome things you are doing here Chris!!

A hint to everyone.. think what you can do with your C4 and a help from a knowledgeable person
Old 01-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Vette Fast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the reaction of the people standing around for the competition, when the results of your Vette’s pulls were announced? I am sure you surprised the majority of the on lookers.

With all of the R&R you have done, how much would you guess it would cost to replicate the same system?

Congratulations on your numbers!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

FinnC4, Thanks! I figure I have a little more tuning to do to extract the remaining power available this week and then I will begin packaging and labeling and taking pictures of the uninstall to make some instructions for your install! The 88mm turbo would require a good bit of extra fabrication to fit I think, I know you were pretty satiusfied with the results of the PT78 turbo which was a drop in fit. I would be happy to assist you on the PT88 if this becomes your choice.

Spool was about 650-700 RPM later on my 355 but a 383 would scoot that up some more. I did however gain about 500-600 RPM of power band due primarily to the larger better flowing turbine wheel size.

I have not had an opportunity to feel the power on the street as it was raining yesterday and that would have been silly to even try.

We can further discuss your options as much as you like.

Vette Fast,

Yes with the supra at the shoot out and the turbo LS1 and big spray LS1 corvette there, many were suprised when I arrived in a collectors edition C4 corvette looking bone stock. the open downpipe I was running completely mismatched the expected sound from the car, had I been running an exhaust system it would have been completely sleeper quiet with only the hint of a small cam maybe. it certainly opened a few peoples eyes when we opened the throttle plates and the car lerched on the dyno.

very satisfying indeed!

To replicate my exact system would have a rough estimate cost of about $15-17k including everything done so far with a motor build clutch, fuel system, turbo system, engine management, fab work to get to fit etc. It may sound expensive but in truth it isn't that bad in comparison to the resulting power. less power can be had for less money as the supporting mods are really the primary expense with the turbo kit being the key to making the power and the engine and fuel and electronics being the method with which to exploit the potential power.

Chris
Old 01-25-2009, 12:21 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Chris, it's been two years and a day since I've been on here. I'm glad to see people are still playing w/ their C4's. Congratulations on your accomplishments, I see your still at it. I am now down to 1 non running C4 and the turbo 383 is going in a lifted 4x4. I didn't even see that one coming. Again, nice job on your car!!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

All I can say is WOW,that thing will be a beast on the street.Fantastic job chris!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM
wickedred
Advanced

Nice numbers bro.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Old 01-25-2009, 10:59 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Impressive sir, much different looking than the last time I saw it on the dyno.

Congrats on the numbers, I know you are loving it!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 AM
"swamp rat"
Instructor

I'M building a 355 right now all forged!! You are getting some good numbers!!! .......Going with "NITROUS" .......
Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,
Nice numbers! What boost level were you able to attain with the 88MM? What were the IATs (are you still just running the baby IC, no xxOH)?

When you going to take that thing to the track? No supra mentality allowed here ...

Again, very nice numbers.
Aaron
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Josh,

Thanks man! you definately need a ride int his bad boy..lol

Aaron,

I haven't pushed the 88mm yet, this week I will get some time to strap it down at work and turn up the wick, the numbers there were from the base setting on the old turbo which made 21psi, the dyno numbers for the most recent pulls were at 24psi. IAT's never got above 76* with a 54* ambient and that was at the very end of the run. my little baby 12x4x24 intercooler is kickin like it should!

as for the track... I doubt it will be the drag strip I am getting very interested in trying my hand in the mile race.. I think this setup would play well with others there. I am sure I will take it to the drag strip but I don't expect to do great in regards to ET but probably some nice trap speeds.. I have no interest as of now of going solid axle and I don't feel like dumping money after the rear end from breakage. the 85 vette we have may get dained the all out drag car and I have some ideas for it.. thinking a destroked 302ci setup and some of the new Brodix spread port heads and custom intake manifold and a 91mm turbo along with an automatic built tranny and a solid axle rear end.

Chris
Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

wow, that is flat out awesome!
Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

insane numbers, Very impressed!

Get notified of new replies

To Preliminary results for the new PT88mm Turbo Corvette

Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

just to confirm, those numbers were on e85 right?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, he is on E85.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I cant wait to see what the T-88 will do with some tune and more boost.

I am guessing 1050-11XXhp

So, is this something one can purchase in the future?
what would it take to fit it in an L-98, that has the Ac removed and an extra AC/heat fan shroud awaiting to do the cut it down mod?

Quick Reply: Preliminary results for the new PT88mm Turbo Corvette