C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 Climate Control delima

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Ordinarily, Crocamonga would sniff out a thread revival like a piece of rotting carrion and drag it to the depths....

But this thread needs to be a sticky, and preserved for all to benefit from.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:37 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Until today I thought the only way to change the core was to pull the dash. This is important info that many members will need to know at some point.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Must.....be....sticky
Old 12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
bigj177
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is this vette

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Here is a breakdown of what I did, it's been a few years, so I might miss something.
Remove passenger seat
Remove lower dash panel (the one with the courtesy light)
Remove connector to temp door motor
Remove ECM ( held in by two 10mm screws, remove them and slide the ECM down and out of the way. You can disconnect it and remove it entirely)
Disconnect rod from connector at door motor arm.
Remove the door motor
Remove the tubular angle brace
Disconnect small duct-work
Remove all the screws holding plastic cover
Wrestle cover off
Re and re core and put it all back together.

The top 2 screw on cover are a bitch, knowing where they were, would have made it easier.

Here is a few pics of what you'll find.

ECM removed, door motor ready for removal.

Close up of rod connector on motor

Door motor removed, bolt for tubular brace is easily accessed now.

Pic of cover showing where the top 2 screws are located.

Cover off

Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by bigj177
What year is this vette
Agent 86 has a 1986 Corvette.

He has the same charcoal interior I do. His car is nicer, though. Those Canadian winters are long and cold and he has lots of time to polish suspension parts. I drive mine every day so it looks it. Well OK, several people have told me mine is very clean.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:34 AM
Burgandy 1988
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace heater core 1989 Vette

Hi all,
I am in the process of replacing the heater using the AGENT 86 method.
I have all the screws out the housing ready to split the housing.
My question is how the hell do I get the top screw out that's near the transmission tunnel. I can only just get my fingers in there to feel where is let alone try and get some sort of socket on to it. As it is right behind some metal tubing.
Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
I did try and do the same job last year and gave up. However winter is with us again here in Australia and it would be fantastic to have all up and running as it should.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:23 PM
dspayne
Advanced

I just completed replacing my heater core. It was every bit has hard as others have indicated. My favorite yoga pose is crying baby. I tied a piece of floss around the little plastic piece that attached to the floor duct and goes into the plenum. I then dropped it into the plenum and re-inserted the hard plasic duct thru the center dash. Once that was done I just pulled the short tube out of the plenum and used finger tips to position it back on the duct nipple. I did drop it once or twice but didn't have to remove the cover again.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:08 PM
papapete
Intermediate

Hope all had a Merrychristmas. After reading the heater core posts I think I'm might be in the same delema. My question is I can't find anything wet but I get the faint smell of antifreeze when I stop the car after a descent ride right as I open the door only last for a few seconds. I also had a small puddle of it the same place as funlovnjim showed in his post from 09. Not as much when I sopped it up it hasn't come back?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by papapete
Hope all had a Merrychristmas. After reading the heater core posts I think I'm might be in the same delema. My question is I can't find anything wet but I get the faint smell of antifreeze when I stop the car after a descent ride right as I open the door only last for a few seconds. I also had a small puddle of it the same place as funlovnjim showed in his post from 09. Not as much when I sopped it up it hasn't come back?
how confident are you at wrenching? On my 87 I had a similar width of coolant, it came from a leaking heater crossover tube which is on the passenger side of the distributor and runs coolant from the intake over to the heater hoses. The gasket on meat intake where the crossover tube attaches and failed. I was getting leaking coolant from that. The smell was caused by the hot engine steaming the coolant that was pooling on top similar to yours has pooled but in a different spot than mine was.
If your coolant leaks are not inside the car then you probably do not have a leaking heatercore .You may already know that but I wasn't sure because you posted in a heater core thread.It is possible that you could remove the thermostat housing and inspect the gasket to see if it looks like the leak was coming from there. If it's coming up from the bolt then you may need to pull the intake and do an intake gasket job.The thermostat housing is very easy. The intake manifold gasket job is also easy but will take much more time and you will need a torques bit, I can't remember the exact size sorry, but it is absolutely crucial that you get the exact correct size for you Will strip the bolts if you use too small of a torques bit. Get the exact size.
also note, I have had good luck with a simple retorquing of the intake mounting bolts. They seem to come loose, a lot.
The following users liked this post:
papapete (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 03:46 PM
papapete
Intermediate

You nailed it. It was that crossover tube! Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-03-2017, 04:33 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by papapete
You nailed it. It was that crossover tube! Thanks a bunch!

that's great, I just reread my post above and laughed out loud. I'm surprised you could even tell what I meant. I use the dictation feature on my iPhone all day every day to send communiqué.
It seems like when I come to Corvette forum Siri starts interpreting what I say as gibberish.Glad you got it fixed

Quick Reply: 1986 Climate Control delima