C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 1992 Power locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:53 PM
scheidecker
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 1992 Power locks not working

Hello,

I have a 1992 LT1 6sp and a brand new Z06.

I went to a shop to have the rear antenna of my 1992 replaced. They did the job and then the inside commands for the power locks, on both doors do not work anymore. Aside from that, I have also asked them to install the anti rattling kit for the windows I bought at Corvette Central.

The motors of the power locks are working because the car has an alarm that locks the doors. However, it does not work anymore from the inside.

We have taken the central piece of the doors and made sure that it was connected, they were connected. The guy said it was the only way to connect them.

I've tried to find the fuse boxes for the power locks on the user manual, without success. There is a picture on page 234 that shows an auxiliary fuse box which has the power locks fuse but I could not find it. It says under the hood. The fuse box I know is on the right side of the dash.

So the power lock buttons on the inside of the doors do not work anymore, I can only lock the doors with the remote from the after market alarm the car has.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

Scheidecker
Old 08-30-2009, 06:24 PM
0grandmastercorvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you remove the area that holds your power door lock switches and the orange wire should have 12+ power going to them. If you have power going to them than more than likely one if not both switches are bad. They are not that expensive and easily changed. I am not at work now and would have to look at my wiring diagram to verify which fuse it is that controlls them or if they are controlled by the CCM/BCM. Hard for me to remember everything. Check the orange wire on both switches and let me know what you have found.
"DUB"
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
wta9111
3rd Gear

I have the same issue, did you figure out the issue? Do you doors lock and unlock when you put car in drive and when you turn off?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM
2012 coupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fuse

Originally Posted by scheidecker
Hello,

I have a 1992 LT1 6sp and a brand new Z06.

I went to a shop to have the rear antenna of my 1992 replaced. They did the job and then the inside commands for the power locks, on both doors do not work anymore. Aside from that, I have also asked them to install the anti rattling kit for the windows I bought at Corvette Central.

The motors of the power locks are working because the car has an alarm that locks the doors. However, it does not work anymore from the inside.

We have taken the central piece of the doors and made sure that it was connected, they were connected. The guy said it was the only way to connect them.

I've tried to find the fuse boxes for the power locks on the user manual, without success. There is a picture on page 234 that shows an auxiliary fuse box which has the power locks fuse but I could not find it. It says under the hood. The fuse box I know is on the right side of the dash.

So the power lock buttons on the inside of the doors do not work anymore, I can only lock the doors with the remote from the after market alarm the car has.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

Scheidecker

The fuse is under the dash on the passengers side. Remove the under dash panel and there are two fuse holders. 4 fuses per holder, one of them is for the power door locks. The fuse layout is in the owners manual or the FSM.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
workerbee
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Danah92LT-1
The fuse is under the dash on the passengers side. Remove the under dash panel and there are two fuse holders. 4 fuses per holder, one of them is for the power door locks. The fuse layout is in the owners manual or the FSM.

Great message, yes the two fuse holders are under the kick panel, be sure to take all three screws out. there is one way on the right side, to get to it you need to take off the cover plate for the main fuse panel, the power door lock fuse panel is facing downwared and you really have to get down there to see it. My fuse was blown, why GM put it ther is crazy. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Last edited by workerbee; 12-08-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-01-2014, 05:27 PM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found the blue 15A Power Door fuse under the dash on the passenger side, and it was blown. I replaced it, but the door lock sliders only move a fraction of the full travel that they should.
Does that mean the Power Door Lock Actuators may be seized?
Also, the door keys don't seem to lock the doors, again because it seems they don't move the full swing.
Are there any aftermarket sources for theses Power Actuators? I don't see them on RockAuto or the Mid America M/W catalog.

Thank for the help.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...the actuators are or possibly BAD...and if you are not getting enough movement...it can be due to the actuators being bad and you are fighting against them when using the key.

Remove the linkage to the actuators and see what happens. It is a process of elimination. I am not there to see what it happening....or how the door key feels when locking and or un-locking the doors.

I like using DORMAN actuator's...they move very freely and smoothly and on a C3...that is REALLY important due to you can twist the lock cylinder in the door due to a binding door lock actuator.

DUB
Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM
cinor
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by workerbee
Great message, yes the two fuse holders are under the kick panel, be sure to take all three screws out. there is one way on the right side, to get to it you need to take off the cover plate for the main fuse panel, the power door lock fuse panel is facing downwared and you really have to get down there to see it. My fuse was blown, why GM put it ther is crazy. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.
Which fuse is the power door lock one? There is a block of3 close to the counsel and block of two a little further away. Can't fricking see the writing with my eyes and how are they removed? Is there a tab holding them or do they just pull straight out? I tried and tried to pull them out but sure don't want to break anything the plastic in these older cars can be quite brittle
Thanks ahead of time, I searched for the stupid fuses for awhile before i read this post, thank God for the forums
Old 01-22-2016, 04:33 PM
atc104
Navigator

Originally Posted by workerbee
Is this true too (regarding location of hidden pwr. locks fuses) , for 1991 C4 ZR1
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-22-2016, 05:04 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by atc104
Is this true too (regarding location of hidden pwr. locks fuses) , for 1991 C4 ZR1
Thanks
Mike
not sure he will see this old thread.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 1992 Power locks not working

Quick Reply: C4 1992 Power locks not working