C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90 climate control issues ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
What I can see you have a 1990 year car and the motor you ordered is a direct drive motor connecting right to the shaft of the mix door. If you drop the plastic panel (and side panels) above the passengers knee the motor should be visible. It is held on with 2, 7mm screws. One screw is easy with a ¼ “ ratchet, and one is a b***h. I use one of those flat, round, ball ratchet things for shallow places. Only need one screw to hold it for testing purposes.

Once the screws are out, pull straight down, it might be stuck at first. Go easy at first to avoid damage to door and shaft. Squeeze the connector release and it comes right off. Then you can slip the new motor on but pay attention to shaft position. I can only get my motor on in the cold position for some reason.

If you feel you don’t have the setup I have indicated, or I have an error in information, I am speaking from a 94 point of view. I just don’t think you have to pull the heater core or any stuff out.
Almost sounds to me like indeed the 94 is different. My actuator motor is on top of the heater core box and even with dash apart you still cant even see it.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Here is a picture of what is blocking that blendoor motor. I suppose I could drill those rivets to get this thing out of the way. but once it is is there still enough room to pull that motor out? Was your 94 different then this or did you split the heater core case to gain access to your motor?

Also how do you determine the blendoor is in the right position before bolting the motor down or does it matter?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I have no idea what I am looking at with that picture. The mix door (94) shaft comes out thru the bottom of the box inside the car. Except for the panels, very accessible. The shaft has 2 flat spots on it at 6 and 12:00. It fits only one way.

It appears now that the physical motor configuration is very different. However I would assume the principal of operation is the same even though your programmer is different also.

I can't really advise you on taking it apart, for what you really need is a 90 guy who has done this before. However I probably can help you with the electronics or some “94 schematics” if you need them.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I have no idea what I am looking at with that picture. The mix door (94) shaft comes out thru the bottom of the box inside the car. Except for the panels, very accessible. The shaft has 2 flat spots on it at 6 and 12:00. It fits only one way.

It appears now that the physical motor configuration is very different. However I would assume the principal of operation is the same even though your programmer is different also.

I can't really advise you on taking it apart, for what you really need is a 90 guy who has done this before. However I probably can help you with the electronics or some “94 schematics” if you need them.
so this actuator on your 94 is on the bottom of the heatercore box? See mine is mounted right behind that thing in the other picture and its mounted on top of the heatercore box and your lucky to even get your fingers in there.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Perhaps due to the airbag things had to be changed in this area. Or you changed something else hahahaha But if you wanna change mine I will give you 50.00
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Just an update

I replaced the blen-door actuator motor today and tested it to where I could see the blen-door working. If I select cold temps (all tests with key on motor off) the blen-door closes over the heater core. When I select a hotter temp the blen-door now goes to full close in the other direction (before it used to stop about 1/2 way and just oscilate and I always heard the old motor constantly runnimg.

I did take my old blen-door motor apart to see if there were any signs as to why it was doing the oscilating figuring I'de find stripped gears or something broken. However none were found I also found no signs of corrosion in it like others have found in theirs that were giving them problems.

I am hoping this has solved my problem. I did run the system about 20 times and it always did the same thing. So just cause everything looks fine in these motors don't assume it is.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Pcolt

I read your thread and funny thing is the blen-door motor I received is identical to the one you pictured but is quite a bit internally different then the one that came out of the car. Some guy sent me a link to the one I bought but I can't seem to find it. You should replace the motor did wonders for my car.

Yours sounds just like what mine was doing. I could have the a/c on then all of a sudden it would start blowing warmer air and vice versa.

That orange gear in your picture seems to be a position sensor thing so I'm thinking thats the cause of the problem.

I will try and find the link to the motor I bought. I got it for like 68.00 shipped.

Last edited by jeffp1167; 11-01-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 PM
michaelparola
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff I have the same problem with my 90. how did you end up getting the motor out? Did you pull the whole heater core?
Old 03-15-2013, 03:28 AM
VetteVet86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,you have to pull the heater core out so that you can get the front half of the heater core housing removed. Be aware that there are bolts coming through from the front of the firewall, so you will have to open up the evaporator housing as well.

I just did it on my 1991 ZR-1. I ended up having to remove the evaporator housing and evaporator to get at the bolts on the firewall. This, of course, involved recovering the freon, evacuating system and recharging as well. It was definitely more than twice the work of a heater core replacement. It took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-16 hours, but I was feeling my way through it.

Good luck! I don't ever want to have to do this again, EVER!!

Jep
Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
jrd1990zr1
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
Here is a picture of what is blocking that blendoor motor. I suppose I could drill those rivets to get this thing out of the way. but once it is is there still enough room to pull that motor out? Was your 94 different then this or did you split the heater core case to gain access to your motor?

Also how do you determine the blendoor is in the right position before bolting the motor down or does it matter?

Hi,

Any chance you could post the photo or attach to a PM for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 PM
jts90vette
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ator-help.html

Quick Reply: 90 climate control issues ????