C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear axle spindle 86

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear axle spindle 86

I am still a bit confused about putting the new wheel bearing and spline back in. The spindle just has the yoke end, then the toothed wheel sensor ring and then there is a cup or race which is part of the assembly. It seems like something should go in there because when you put the spline through the knuckle this race butts right up to the knuckle. Its metal on metal which doesn't seem right. I posted an earlier thread and everyone said there is no washer or seal that slides onto the spline, just the lipped washer that goes on the outside of the knuckle. Is there supposed to be rubber inside this "race". I don't know if I am describing this in a way that makes sense. There is a pocket that seems like it would accept a part to buffer the metal to metal. Please don't think that I am doubting all the advice you guys have given on this topic. I am doubting my own ability to accurately describe what is going on here and I am a total novice at this. I don't want to ruin expensive parts. any clarity here would be most appreciated.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Metal to metal is correct. Just the lipped washer that goes onto the spline side of the yoke. Once the yoke is installed and nutted through the wheel bearing the inner part of the wheel bearing spins with the yoke (the wheel bearing and yoke are basically one assembly at this point) so there is no movement in-between these pieces.

Note: If someone gives bad advice on a "thread" others will ususally chime in with a "correction".

Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by engle1147
Metal to metal is correct. Just the lipped washer that goes onto the spline side of the yoke. Once the yoke is installed and nutted through the wheel bearing the inner part of the wheel bearing spins with the yoke (the wheel bearing and yoke are basically one assembly at this point) so there is no movement in-between these pieces.

Note: If someone gives bad advice on a "thread" others will ususally chime in with a "correction".

Thank you-E
Old 02-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by engle1147

I am just trying to understand how the part of the spline that meets up with the inside of the knuckle works. The axle turns along with the spline and the hub/bearing, all as one. The knuckle does not move so the inside of the spline is turning against the inside of the knuckle, metal to metal, unless there is a small gap there. That is the part that I don't understand, why the inside surface of the knuckle does not wear against the toothed ring of the spline. I will put it back in. Thanks for the info. I was just worried due to my lack of knowledge about this. Take care and thanks again-E
Old 02-07-2010, 07:01 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Elrick
I am just trying to understand how the part of the spline that meets up with the inside of the knuckle works. The axle turns along with the spline and the hub/bearing, all as one. The knuckle does not move so the inside of the spline is turning against the inside of the knuckle, metal to metal, unless there is a small gap there. That is the part that I don't understand, why the inside surface of the knuckle does not wear against the toothed ring of the spline. I will put it back in. Thanks for the info. I was just worried due to my lack of knowledge about this. Take care and thanks again-E
(should be small gap) with the exception of the bearing, there should be no contact between the spindle and the knuckle

Mike

Last edited by aboatguy; 02-07-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by aboatguy
(should be small gap) with the exception of the bearing, there should be no contact between the spindle and the knuckle

Mike
Thanks. I figured there had to be a gap or I was missing a part. Just trying to be smart and cautious.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear axle spindle 86

Quick Reply: Rear axle spindle 86