C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dome light relay buzzing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 PM
jmoeller
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dome light relay buzzing

I have a 1993 vette and as I was working on the glove box light switch the other day, the dome light relay started buzzing. I tried a new relay with no luck. If I turn the dash light adjustment to turn the interior lights on, it stops the buzzing. Also if I open the hatch it stops buzzing and anytime the dome lights go off, it stops. I have pulled the door switches on both doors, pulled out the headlight switch and checked the connections there. I pulled the door panels off and couldn't find anything obvious there. If I take a jumper wire direct to the relay coil from power at the fuse box, it also stops. I appreciate any ideas on this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You have a poor electrical connection in the car wiring somewhere from the fusebox to the dome relay coil. If you jump each connection and switch and the relay stops buzzing and holds in, you have found the poor connection.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 AM
jmoeller
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if there are any connections around the glove box area that I can't see? I'm pretty sure it can't be either door switch, because it does it when I open both doors. I am thinking there must be a terminal block somewhere before relay that the doors wire to. What's your thoughts on this?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You need the 93 electrical diagnosis manual. I have one for my 87 and it shows the electrical systems in the car with circuit diagrams, an explanation of how they work, and a troubleshooting procedure. Also all the parts of each system are named and there is a list and pictures of their location. These diagrams include every splice and unpluggable connection. I suspect that you have an unpluggable connection that is oxidized and is arcing causing your dome relay to buzz. If you jump each connection in the dome light circuit, you should find one connection that stops the relay from buzzing and you can service that connection.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 AM
2cubfans
Heel & Toe

Did you ever find a fix for this buzzing problem? I'm having the same issue with my 1993 and I'm thinking it's coming from the headlamp assembly switch. I'm thinking of pulling the assemble and trying to clean the contacts.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:29 AM
Stevewaterguy
Navigator

Default Courtesy light relay buzzing

Upon opening either the driver or passenger door of my 1993 Corvette , the courtesy lamp relay buzzes. I can stop the buzzing by switching on the interior lights using the dashboard lights dimmer switch. This all started when I had my car in the repair shop : the center console storage compartment (between the two seats) had been opened by force. This compartment has an interior light that goes on when you open the compartment. Is this light part of the courtesy light circuit ? If yes, could this be somehow causing the sustained reply oscillations, and what can I do about it ?

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To dome light relay buzzing

Quick Reply: dome light relay buzzing