C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Door Ajar Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
I bought a pair that look like that, but the ones on my '95 are flush at the end. Those tips don't seem to have any adjustment, and I believe that when the door is shut those little tips will be completely gone.

Anyone else run into this?

Steven
You're right. The tips usually wear out first. There's no real adjustment for the switches. I believe they used two different types during the C4's production run.

All you can do is replace with new or use the band-aid solutions we've discussed in this thread.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:29 AM
huntegeoffrey
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door switch

just pulled mine out then cleaned it up and oiled it. works perfect now. also new ones are only $30
Old 10-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I bought a new one and it was sticky so I put silicone grease on it. It's been fine for about 10 years.

I didn't realize the nut plate isn't attached to anything, but I have the switch with the long wires on it so the plate didn't fall down inside the door. I was able to pull the switch out far enough to disconnect it without taking off the door panel.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

On my '95 I could not get the swtich & connector to come out....is it supposed to be able to? Or do I have to remove the sheet metal plate and disconnect the connector first?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:36 PM
torchred96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one more thing to add. My car is a 91 and I adjusted the tip just as mentioned above..unfortunately, after a few door closes, the interior light would come back on or flicker....so, I surmised that the adjuster was getting pushed back in..so, what I did was pulled it out again, but this time, I slipped a very small o-ring behind the plunger..that way, it can't get pushed all the way back in again.

It's been months and the problem hasn't recurred.

Quick Reply: Door Ajar Switch