C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 06:32 PM
emoshn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heater core replacement

I read posts on this before and am contemplating this job soon...don't know for sure whether that's my problem or not.

1. Ocassionally (just occassionally), I'll get a fine mist right in the center of my windshield on the inside. I usually get this after I've driven the car, parked it for about 15-20 minutes, jump back in and fire it up...there's the little mist. It goes away really quickly, say 1-2 minutes, and has no antifreeze odor or taste...nor does it leave residue. I can't figure it out...unless it's the heater core (not sure)....any thoughts?

2. IF I have to change the core, it appears to be one mother of a job involving removing the DASH (what genuius designed that?). Does anyone have any shortcuts to offer or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks for your time.

Dave :)
Old 03-28-2002, 06:46 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Heater core replacement (emoshn)

2. IF I have to change the core, it appears to be one mother of a job involving removing the DASH (what genuius designed that?). Does anyone have any shortcuts to offer or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks for your time.

Dave :)
Having done it once, I have it down to a simple 2 step process.

Step 1) Purchase a FACTORY service manual.
Step 2) Be sure to give the manual to the person who buys your car, because they've got one nasty project ahead of them.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:52 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running the AC when you get the mist? If so the door that closes the defrost vent when you turn on the AC may be malfuntioning. Cold air on the inside-warm air outside could cause a mist.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:36 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

It could just be condensation. If it doesn't smell like antifreeze and doesn't happen that often, I would not worry about it.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:38 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It may just be some condensation from the heating ducts. If you don't smell the antifreeze and don't have the puddle in the passenger footwell, you probably don't have a heater core problem.

I didn't hate replacing my heater core as much as most folks. It took a good day and a half, and I scraped a couple of knuckles, but it did not require any extraordinary skill. Just some patience. The dash pad was easy to get out. You have to disassemble part of the wiring harness to make space to access the core. That was annoying. Finally, fixing the new core into place required some dexterity.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any shortcuts. The chassis service manual is essential though.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:04 PM
emoshn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Heater core replacement (jwg2)

The puddle on the floor thing bugs me. It HAS had that...one time, the other times it's just simply been a small mist that disappears after a few minutes. The one time the carpet was damp, again there was no smell, taste, or residue of antifreeze...so I attributed it to a small leak somewhere from outside the vehicle.

I'm not going to rush into the job. I DO have the two Hayes shop manuals. That's where I read the procedure (which has about 50 steps...the last one being: "remove the heater core".) :crazy:

So, for now, I guess I'll let it rest. But I have a sinking feeling that this job is in my future.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:40 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I never did reach the "puddle on the floor" stage. Eventially, the carpet on the firewall DID get damp. My first indication of a problem came when I was out of state at a race. I fired it up late at night to head back to the motel, and the windshield fogged up, where I had to wipe it every minute or so. I survived the weekend and actually many months more, with the addition of a container of Alumaseal, radiator stop leak. When that finally gave up, I "short curcuited" the heater out of the cooling system. I point all this out, just to illustrate that you CAN buy time, before you have to tear into it. Good luck. Don't forget my easy two step method, posted above. I'll use it next time.

[Modified by CFI-EFI, 11:44 AM 3/29/2002]
Old 03-29-2002, 02:45 PM
RichAshley-Black99
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Heater core replacement (CFI-EFI)

I need to do the nasty too, IM taking it to get it done all the stories Ive heard dont even want to attempt it. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 03-31-2002, 06:08 AM
VetteRacer282
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted to swap it. I couldnt get the new core through the dash, and had no idea how I was going to connect the door again.

My solution? Pull the entire A/C & Heater system from the car. Heater was dead for over a year anyways, and A/C had been on a half dozen times in the few years I drove the car. So no real loss :)

My advice, find a shop thats stupid enough to do it!
Goodluck if you change it.
Matt
Old 03-31-2002, 06:45 PM
jshope
Advanced

I don't know what the gods say about this stuff, but they do make a liquid that you pour into your coolant system to plug leaks. It's this brown nasty stuff that - I think this is how it works anyway - you put into the coolant and as it starts to leak out, it dries up and plugs the hole.

I used to smell antifreeze every once in a while, then did this and I don't smell it anymore. If the leak is small, then I'd try this first. It could save you a bunch of time.

Now let be say a little more before someone else does it. Do you really want to put something in your coolant system that it's main purpose is to clog stuff? Well, it's a chance I took a few years ago and I haven't had any problems (yet).

Could be worth a shot.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:03 PM
siberianhusky911
Instructor

Mine blew about two weeks ago. Who needs heat anyway i just bypassed it. :cheers:
Old 03-31-2002, 08:06 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Heater core replacement (jshope)

I don't know what the gods say about this stuff, but they do make a liquid that you pour into your coolant system to plug leaks.
Good luck.
I don't care what the Gods say...all their cars have seen this product one time or another...The three big Detroit Monsters all use it in cars coming off the line...

Get notified of new replies

To Heater core replacement

Quick Reply: Heater core replacement