C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 u-joint broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The cap that had come off. Was it one of the caps in the halfshaft, or one in the yoke?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
The cap that had come off. Was it one of the caps in the halfshaft, or one in the yoke?
at the wheel in the half shaft. so when the cap came off the end of the ujoint tore up the inside of the knuckle as well as the clip groove. the outside of the half shaft also lost some aluminum to the inner knuckle. I don't think it's a big deal for the inside of the knuckle to have a couple scrapes, at least I hope not
Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by hooked073
Elrick take a look at my post. the strap bolts being loose are the frist indication to me that the cap was riding over the shoulder on the yoke and not inside it. look hard at the shoulder on the yoke and see if it is shiny or deformed in anyway also look at the old caps and see if there is evidence that it was riding just on the shoulder.
I agree with what you are saying, I had to have screwed up somewhere. There is no evidence on the shoulder of the yoke, one of the caps was gone the other cap actually broke of in the halfshaft. when I took the half shaft out I was able to turn out the ujoint because the end cap in one side of the half shaft was gone. That left the other cap still pressed in the opposite side. It was more than just the cap, there was sheared off metal attached to end of the cap, very jagged. I am guessing that the strap came loose, no threadlocker, then rode up on the inner tab of the yoke and popped off this caused the unbalance and all the thumping and scraping. I think I have it mostly figured out now. I am just going to be forever paranoid I did it wrong again. I may also have not originally installed the clip correctly. I did the new ones tonight and can see how they could be not entirely seated. I also hit a deep pot hole when this happened so the jarring contributed. sorry to be so long winded here, thanks for your help, I obviously need all I can get
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, that is one thing people do. Put the clip in, and it looks all the way in. But it isn't.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

I have put countless ujoints in I mean 100's of 1000's everything from small cars to 30 ton dumps, I have never used lock tight on any joint and never had one come back on me. I am not saying dont use it but if you had the straps tight and they were seated correctly I do not think that is your problem

Quick Reply: 86 u-joint broke