C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intake manifold bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Intake manifold bolts?

I changed the intake manifold gasket on my 90 L98 this week. When I went to put the intake manifold bolts back in I noticed that there were 2 different lengths of bolts. Of course I didn't notice this when I took them out so I had no idea where the longer ones went. I guessed and put one longer one and one shorter one in each location then torqued them in the pattern that the FSM said to.

Now when I fired it up it seems like something is binding up. It idles along and there will be like a pop/bang noise.

Is it possible that the longer bolts are in the wrong location and interfering with the pushrods?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
rlf105
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my 90 intake over the summer. If memory serves me right the longer bolts go on the outer corners of the manifold and are also torqued a little more to seal the front and rear of the manifold.
I dont think they were long enough to hit any pushrods or anything though. did you check you timing? just a thought
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Its been a long time, but I think its very possible, the bolts are hitting the pushrods.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirst90coupe

Is it possible that the longer bolts are in the wrong location and interfering with the pushrods?

Thanks,
Jeff
I really don't think this is possible.

Why did you change the gasket in the first place?
Your sure you got the distributor has been fully dropped back in on the "correct" tooth?
Oil pressure is good?
Wires on the dizzy are correct?
Checked the base timing?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by engle1147
I really don't think this is possible.

Why did you change the gasket in the first place?
Your sure you got the distributor has been fully dropped back in on the "correct" tooth?
Oil pressure is good?
Wires on the dizzy are correct?
Checked the base timing?

It is possible. I had that issue when installing mine the fist time. the shorter bolts go in the middle if I remember correctly.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
EastCoastHD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed the intake manifold gasket on my 90 L98 this week. When I went to put the intake manifold bolts back in I noticed that there were 2 different lengths of bolts. Of course I didn't notice this when I took them out so I had no idea where the longer ones went. I guessed and put one longer one and one shorter one in each location then torqued them in the pattern that the FSM said to.

Now when I fired it up it seems like something is binding up. It idles along and there will be like a pop/bang noise.

Thanks,
Jeff
Not sure of the correct location of the longer bolts, possibly the outside corners, just a guess. I had my intake off last year and can't remember for the life of me.

This is how I organized my bolts...

This is a close-up off cyl. #4. The exhaust pushrod sure is close to that bolt hole. 1 & 5 exhaust look tight also.

If it were me, I'd tear it down and install the bolts correctly. GM used long and shorts for a reason.

Originally Posted by rlf105
I did my 90 intake over the summer. If memory serves me right the longer bolts go on the outer corners of the manifold and are also torqued a little more to seal the front and rear of the manifold.
I dont think they were long enough to hit any pushrods or anything though. did you check you timing? just a thought
Incorrect per my 90 FSM. All intake bolts torqued to 35 lb.ft., except position 1&4 (passenger side center)45 lb.ft.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EastCoastHD

This is a close-up off cyl. #4. The exhaust pushrod sure is close to that bolt hole. 1 & 5 exhaust look tight also.

Holy crap-a-mundo I guess it is possible given a long enough bolt. Looks like I dropped the ball on this one. Nice photo shot EastCost
Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

WOW! That is an awesome picture! Scary. I would have double checked before I put them in but I already had the manifold down on the sealant.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Interesting. The intake-to-head bolts on my 89 were all the same length (1 1/8"). There was a thread that pointed out if 1 1/4" bolts were used, contact with the push rods holes would occur. And, that contact would be on the center two holes on each side.

If you had shorter bolts, it seems like they should have gone in the middle.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking I might just pick up 12 3/-16x1-1/8" SS allen head screws and swap them out one by one so I don't mess up my seal.

Any opinions on if I might have messed anything internal up?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When GM redesigned the heads to accept intake gasket retainers, they made the outer water jacket bolts longer. Didn't think any of those heads or gaskets made it onto anything other than the '91. If you take it back off, see if the outer bolt holes on the heads are counterbored for retainers. If so, that's where the longer bolts go and you should use the gaskets with the retainers as they maintain perfect intake gasket alignment which stops most of the leaks.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are some guys who replace the stock GM intake bolts with some ARP bolts. As alot don't like torx type bolts GM liked to use.

One thing you could do is get a C4 parts catalog and see what intake bolts call for a different part number.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rlf105
I have never seen different length factory torx bolts that secure the base to the heads. I wonder if this was the case on all c4's or just certain years.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:38 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm thinking I might just pick up 12 3/-16x1-1/8" SS allen head screws and swap them out one by one so I don't mess up my seal.

Any opinions on if I might have messed anything internal up?
According to my parts catalog. The intake bolt part number is 14091547. And is 3/8-16 X 1 1/8.

I say you'll have to chase the threads and put new sealant on the bolts. I'd look to see what ARP bolts others are using for their intake bolts.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
I have never seen different length factory torx bolts that secure the base to the heads. I wonder if this was the case on all c4's or just certain years.
When I put the intake on my 383 about 4 months ago I ordered new intake bolts from GM and they were all the same size from the factory.I also have a set of Summits intake bolts with hex heads and they measure 1" instead of the GM length which are 1"1/8..You may be able to replace them one at a time like you were saying. I would start in the middle and work my way out just like the tightening sequence,just remember to redo the sealent on the threads..You really have nothing to lose, if it leaks then you can replace it. ..WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-06-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
I guess my post was to small and over looked. My 91 had different size bolts form the factory. I had the same problem the short bolts go in the middle. Maybe you are right and it was only certain years.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I guess my post was to small and over looked. My 91 had different size bolts form the factory. I had the same problem the short bolts go in the middle. Maybe you are right and it was only certain years.
Having a bad day?

Get notified of new replies

To Intake manifold bolts?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Hopefully this gets noticed.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Now we got it covered.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:55 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Quick Reply: Intake manifold bolts?