C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stealth Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Aklim: I'm pretty sure I've seen those K&N cones in my local autoparts stores.

For example, if someone has successfully mounted and run an HSR under a stock vette hood, please let everyone here know!

I was looking at the difference between the K&N RC-5050 the RC-5000 and trying to see which one was better.

Last when the engine was transferred from my 91 Firebird which this thing fit perfectly, I had to drive home with the hood sitting on the TB. Maybe some would call that successful in that the hood almost closes but I don't.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Why that instead of cutting the stock air filter box?
HSR hooks up fine to stock L98 intake plumbing ( once you have solved hood clearance probs )
I had to stretch the bellows a little because TB is higher than stock position but no running problems
Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rodj
HSR hooks up fine to stock L98 intake plumbing ( once you have solved hood clearance probs )
I had to stretch the bellows a little because TB is higher than stock position but no running problems
I was wondering if the air flow would be better with the K&N as opposed to a stock airbox with the ***** cut off.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I was wondering if the air flow would be better with the K&N as opposed to a stock airbox with the ***** cut off.
Only thing I don't like about the K&N direct on the TB in a C4 is the only air that is going into the filter is going to be hot which might negate any benefits from better air flow
Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I have one of those cone filters you can have it if you pay shipping. I'm out of state right now, get with me this weekend.. Pay it forward.

Here is my HRS

Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Aklim: I'm pretty sure I've seen those K&N cones in my local autoparts stores.

Ed: I like your car. I like how you installed/converted your 84 x-fire to an HSR! I even like your avatar. (This is so my next statement is not taken personally.)

I really, really wish I'd seen where you actually RAN an HSR under a stock hood. As pointed out in the thread you linked, both myself and LD85 are skeptical that an HSR can actually be run w/o welding.

I'd love to see someone who really did it (for no other reason than to forward people back to your thread, your work, and your potential discovery). OTOH, even if it looks like it would fit sitting still, I know how the motor torques and what I had to do (in terms of clearance) to allow custom parts on my engine to clear....at least laterally anyway.

I really don't want this post to come across as a , but I wish there was a bit more evidence in your linked thread. For example, if someone has successfully mounted and run an HSR under a stock vette hood, please let everyone here know!

We're good!.. Valid post. I'm confident with it fitting stock under the 84 hood with that adapter, HOWEVER... no one as of yet as confirmed anything with a 85 or newer. I still think the hood slope may be different than the 84. Who knows.... you had a HSR you should have tried it out when you were doing your engine change to answer this question.

I was looking at the difference between the K&N RC-5050 the RC-5000 and trying to see which one was better.
I went with the 5050 because they claim it flows 1000 cfm threw it. who knows for sure. The cone style filters in the auto parts stores will not fit the TB's on the corvette. Those in the store are round where it clamps on...not oval.

Originally Posted by rodj
Only thing I don't like about the K&N direct on the TB in a C4 is the only air that is going into the filter is going to be hot which might negate any benefits from better air flow
I agree for the 85 and newer. But I do believe you get a lot more fresh air with the 84's since you have the build in air ducts in the hood. As long as the cold air mod is done you'll get plenty of air to that filter. Personally I haven't had any problems with air flow going in and also haven't noticed any changes since completing the project last winter.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by qws
We're good!.. Valid post. I'm confident with it fitting stock under the 84 hood with that adapter, HOWEVER... no one as of yet as confirmed anything with a 85 or newer. I still think the hood slope may be different than the 84. Who knows.... you had a HSR you should have tried it out when you were doing your engine change to answer this question.
The only thing I could have proved by putting an HSR on my 383 was how much more top-end power it could generate. (I have a Toledo-Pro Hi-Rise hood.)

I've also wondered about the unique '84 hood. I know it's a different part# but I suspect that's mostly due to the hood brace. But, the underside bracing might also play a role in your theory that the HSR could fit w/o a welded modification.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I have one of those cone filters you can have it if you pay shipping. I'm out of state right now, get with me this weekend.. Pay it forward.

Here is my HRS

Thanx. You take paypal? Zip is 53704. Thanx.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
My1st
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m thinking I’m going to go this route being I have the cowl hood and no issues cutting the hood, I’ll have to keep my eyes open to find a good used HSR. If anyone hears of one please let me know. As long as the intake will be off what heads and mild cam should I be looking for? I’m also going to order the Headman Elite long tubs.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by My1st
I’m thinking I’m going to go this route being I have the cowl hood and no issues cutting the hood, I’ll have to keep my eyes open to find a good used HSR
You'll be glad in the end you went this route. Don't rule out buying a new one. If you were gonna spend $1200 on a used on you can go with a new one for far less than that.
Keep us posted.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:14 AM
My1st
Pro

Who is selling for less? The only thing I can find is complete kits for $3100 - $3500
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Who is selling for less? The only thing I can find is complete kits for $3100 - $3500
Lets try this again cause I don't think your getting it.
You don't need the whole kit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-7540/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-534-186/

Those two items are $325 and $240
Reuse your TB,
Add in a dizzy and remote coil- Advance auto $99 and $40 for those parts
Get your flexible fuel lines

You don't need all the ecm stuff since you already have one.

And your ready to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM
My1st
Pro

Thaks qws, what year dizzy and coil do I need to get? Can't wait to get started on this.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
twin540
Pro

You need a 92 camaro small cap distributor.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:34 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

All the info you need is right here.
Keep in mind you will not need the TB spacer or Tstat, housing because yours will be stock height.I recommend you replace your injectors with Bosch III while you are at it. GL
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...r-hsr-mod.html
Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
My1st
Pro

Thanks Chaos, I purchased Bosch III’s about two months ago they work great. Only thing is they are stock size, will I need to get bigger injectors or will the ones I have work?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Thanks Chaos, I purchased Bosch III’s about two months ago they work great. Only thing is they are stock size, will I need to get bigger injectors or will the ones I have work?
With the HRS you can get a adjustable regulator .. Then it's up to your tuner what pressure he wants you run your injectors at. Depending or what you are running you may be able to use your injectors.

Get notified of new replies

To Stealth Ram?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by ch@0s
With the HRS you can get a adjustable regulator .. Then it's up to your tuner what pressure he wants you run your injectors at. Depending or what you are running you may be able to use your injectors.
Yes, the HSR can be purchased with an adjustable or fixed fuel pressure regulator. When purchased new, the adjustable regulator is about a $50 option. Ask what you're getting if you buy one used. Some people opt for another brand of AFPR -- if they even want an AFPR.

My1st: When you install the HSR, you'll want to purchase an ALDL cable and monitor how the AFR is doing with the HSR. Depending on how far it's off, you may opt for bigger injectors,,,or you might be able to get things to work well enough -- if you buy a unit with the AFPR. Keep in mind the use of an AFPR will cause the car to run rich during (open loop) warm-up because the ECM won't "know" it's getting extra fuel until closed loops kicks in. Even then, I believe it will run on the rich side. IOW, I would not advocate this option.

For the most part, I would anticipate PE fuel to be tweaked. Otherwise, your stock MAF curve should work using stock injectors (as long as they don't hit 100% duty cycle). To change PE, you'll need a burner -- or -- someone who can guess fairly close what a stock HSR needs for PE -- to burn a chip for you. (see note below) Moates sells the adapters to plug in your newly burned chip. (And, by using stock pressure with the tuning method, you have $50 to put toward tuning. You know... the $50 not spent on an AFPR!)

FWIW, PCM4Less will not provide a base tune for a car w/o stock pressure. I'm pretty sure MSeven won't either. I'm not sure about all the rest but doesn't that say something about what tuners think is best?

Note: Another (better) way to set PE is to run the car with a WB sensor (possibly on a dyno). By presenting that feedback to a tuner, he/she will be able to adjust PE according to peg it on the nose.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 11-12-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:08 PM
My1st
Pro

I can pick these heads up for $400 locally is it a good deal and will they work with the HRS? I’m told they have 2500 miles on them.

World Product Torqer heads with 2.02/1.60 valves and full roller rockers

The heads are in great shape, they only have about 2500 miiles on them. Here they are (and those prices are for each head):
http://www.jegs.com/p/World-Products...46698/10002/-1

and I have full roller rockers on them too:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp-Cams/Comp...55190/10002/-1
Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Those WPT heads would make great paperweights! Might even be a nice downgrade from your OEM heads.

Quick Reply: Stealth Ram?