C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stealth Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 AM
My1st
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stealth Ram?

Is a Stealth Ram worth putting on my stock 89 L98? Will it fit under the hood? Is it any different then the stock TPI? Here is the description on eBay with a starting bid of $1,200

Like new holley stealth ram intake complete system(Part # 7540) 1000 cfm accel t-body, with all sensors, IAC housing and motor, 36 pound venom injectors(Venom HP-636-8 ),billet fuel rails(534-186) with adjustable fuel pressure regulator, universal speed density wiring harness for use with older cars , power ground ,key on, it is all you need.external fuel pump and speed density ecm and eprom with vats removed is included, aditional prom tuning will be needed depending apon your cam , cubes,and heads,eprom
is set up for stock 5.7 350 cu ,auto trans 700r4,also includes msd blaster coil and billet hei small cap distributor. All this good stuff is worth well over 2k.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Its worth puting on but it will not fit under the hood. A few guys have modded them to fit under the hood but its not a 15 minute mod. If you do a search, a few threads should come up. Some are very good.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

No one has successfully mounted one under a stock hood (w/o cutting) yet. They are worth it. And, they can be purchased for less. (I just sold a near-new HSR for $350).

They are roughly equivalent to installing a miniram, superram or FIRST (fuel injections) intake. All of these will increase intake flow (in the range of 50-100cfm). With a potential of 2hp for every cfm of air added, that should give you an idea of what a different intake will do.

Of course, it helps if you ALSO increase your cylinder heads ability to move all of that extra air.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 11-08-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by My1st
Here is the description on eBay with a starting bid of $1,200.
Way over priced

Similar setup for half price
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/en...lth-ram-w.html
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
My1st
Pro

What heads would you suggest? I plan on doing a top end upgrade this winter I'm just not sure what should be done. I do have an after market cowl hood on my car which is about three inches high then the stock hood. I would have to cut out the original to get the height though.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

What heads would you suggest? I plan on doing a top end upgrade this winter I'm just not sure what should be done. I do have an after market cowl hood on my car which is about three inches high then the stock hood. I would have to cut out the original to get the height though.
Ughh...why are you talking about cutting the original hood when you have an aftermarket hood? With a cowl hood (like you have), the HSR is a simple bolt-on. You should have bought mine last week!!!!

But as Rodj pointed out, there are others. You will need the intake, fuel rails, small cam distributor, and flexible fuel lines to connect everything up. Porting your heads, buying Trickflow heads, or AFR heads would help maximize the new-found air. (Listed in increasing order of preference IMO).

Read up, make a plan, and start moving forward. FWIW, there are SEVERAL more HSR conversion in the thirdgen forum than here. Obviously, that's due to the hood-clearance issue on vettes. If you're not familiar with TGO (thirdgen.org), Rodj's link takes you there.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Your distributor will have to go. Get like a coil and say an MSD 8366 distributor and the matching harness
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the Search function has all you could ever want to know
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
You will need the intake, fuel rails, small CAP distributor, and flexible fuel lines to connect everything up. Porting your heads, buying Trickflow heads, or AFR heads would help maximize the new-found air. (Listed in increasing order of preference IMO).
Fixed.

You don't need a high-priced MSD8366. Just get a Camaro dizzy for your same year. (It can be used if you want -- but install a new gear at the bottom).

It's less than half price and will work great. You will need an adapter plug (or two) for the dizzy connection.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
My1st
Pro

Hood clarification, unfortunately the PO has already cut the original hood the cowl was just an add on.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Fixed.

You don't need a high-priced MSD8366. Just get a Camaro dizzy for your same year. (It can be used if you want -- but install a new gear at the bottom).

It's less than half price and will work great. You will need an adapter plug (or two) for the dizzy connection.
I'm kinda leery of junkyard distributors. I'd get a new one if it were me. I have used my old distributor when my Firebird got wrecked but the history was known to me. I did have some roughness in the bearings at 120K though.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
My1st
Pro

Will this hood allow for a stealth or other?

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...orvette008.jpg
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done the mod using a orginal height HSR. The part that hits the hood is the TB.
You can use a 92 camaro dizzy and will need an adapter for the harness which can be bought from eficonnection for like $15.
Fuel connections are on the back of the plenum so flexible lines will be needed as well.
I recommend a Kirban FPR, not the holley.
You can buy a new HSR with fuel rails for about $600,FPR for $100

btw you will have no problem with it fitting under that hood
Read this ...lots of pics
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ng-it-fit.html

Last edited by qws; 11-08-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm kinda leery of junkyard distributors. I'd get a new one if it were me. I have used my old distributor when my Firebird got wrecked but the history was known to me. I did have some roughness in the bearings at 120K though.
You can also get a new Camaro distributor for 1/2 the price of an MSD, probably 1/3rd the price.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Will this hood allow for a stealth or other?

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...orvette008.jpg
All you need is about an extra 1/2" up where the throttle body sits. It looks like your add-on cowl should provide that.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

I use the small cap from advance auto parts. It can be had for $99, Napa sells it for $119. Works fine

Next your hood is similiar in depth as mine. Rather than guess heres some photos for you

cut in hood made

Then used some rubber to outline the hole

Here's what it looks like when the hood is down

In the other link I posted there are a bunch of photos showing exactly what it is on a full height HSR hits the hood. When the hood is closed there is a pencil width between the plenum and hood. Its when the TB is added on when it hits. But not by much. Mine goes higher into the hood because of the type of air cleaner I use. which is shown in the photos above.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

That package sounds like alot for a stock 89 350, 36psi injector & 1000 cfm t-body would be needed on a built 383 or larger engine. Might be better off just getting a manifold & rails, unless you're gonna build that engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Stealth Ram?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by qws
I use the small cap from advance auto parts. It can be had for $99, Napa sells it for $119. Works fine

Next your hood is similiar in depth as mine. Rather than guess heres some photos for you

cut in hood made

Then used some rubber to outline the hole

Here's what it looks like when the hood is down

In the other link I posted there are a bunch of photos showing exactly what it is on a full height HSR hits the hood. When the hood is closed there is a pencil width between the plenum and hood. Its when the TB is added on when it hits. But not by much. Mine goes higher into the hood because of the type of air cleaner I use. which is shown in the photos above.
What is the number of the K&N filter of that setup? Why that instead of cutting the stock air filter box?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
What is the number of the K&N filter of that setup? Why that instead of cutting the stock air filter box?
You may not know this but mine has been converted from a crossfire to the HSR. That airbox will not connect in anyway. You can see the duct work in the hood. The filter is from summit racing. Can't remember the part number.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Aklim: I'm pretty sure I've seen those K&N cones in my local autoparts stores.

Ed: I like your car. I like how you installed/converted your 84 x-fire to an HSR! I even like your avatar. (This is so my next statement is not taken personally.)

I really, really wish I'd seen where you actually RAN an HSR under a stock hood. As pointed out in the thread you linked, both myself and LD85 are skeptical that an HSR can actually be run w/o welding.

I'd love to see someone who really did it (for no other reason than to forward people back to your thread, your work, and your potential discovery). OTOH, even if it looks like it would fit sitting still, I know how the motor torques and what I had to do (in terms of clearance) to allow custom parts on my engine to clear....at least laterally anyway.

I really don't want this post to come across as a , but I wish there was a bit more evidence in your linked thread. For example, if someone has successfully mounted and run an HSR under a stock vette hood, please let everyone here know!

Quick Reply: Stealth Ram?