C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LS1 C4 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LS1 C4 build

I have a opportunity to build another LSx corvette. This one will be a LS1 with a 4L60e.

Late model 92-96. Lets say paint and interior about a 8 out of 10.
A/C is optional.
Dana 36 with 3.08.

How much would you pay for it? How much it worth to you? Basically I'm taking dead vettes and flipping them during the winter.

Questions ask if you cant come up with a number.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I guess the questions a buyer would ask are:
Maintenance - If I buy this frankenstein how do I get it worked on.
(I know the LS1 is reliable, wife has an 04 that has 120k with nothing more than regular maint)
What parts did you use in the conversion?
What happens if one of those parts breaks?
How do I fix/program/monitor the computers?

I'm thinking the conversion will cost a bit.
Me personally I would pay less than $10K for a completed reliable conversion, but I'm cheap when it comes to buying cars.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm thinking you'd get $8000 if it looked like a pro install. But then again what the hell do I know ?? There is a nice C5 on C list right now for $10,500, I think the average buyer would prefer that. if I was in buying mode, I may think different.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I guess the questions a buyer would ask are:
Maintenance - If I buy this frankenstein how do I get it worked on.
(I know the LS1 is reliable, wife has an 04 that has 120k with nothing more than regular maint)
What parts did you use in the conversion?
What happens if one of those parts breaks?
How do I fix/program/monitor the computers?

I'm thinking the conversion will cost a bit.
Me personally I would pay less than $10K for a completed reliable conversion, but I'm cheap when it comes to buying cars.
Frankenstein question- It will be diagnosed as a LS1 and easily maintained. It is easier to work on and even if the worst of the worst happens a engine blows up, the motor can be pulled 10 times easier than a LT1. I did a LS2 swap I know from experience.

Parts list- LS1 engine, oil adapter, c5-c6 pedestals, flexplate, spacer, fuel plumbing, headers.

Breaks- Just like any car things break. Nothing on the list of parts is rare or hard to come by. Most are cheap and easy to get thru ebay or our forum.

Monitor- All electronic signals are lost cause they are driven by the LT1 computer. So your mechanical gauges will work. Oil pressure and coolant temp still works.

I will most likely add a LS6 cam and 243 heads to get the hp up to 400.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:47 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I think it's a good idea but unless you have a buyer before the build you could be sitting on them for a while. GL with it
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I think it's a good idea but unless you have a buyer before the build you could be sitting on them for a while. GL with it
Yeah thats what I was thinking my buddy seen mine and want to see if we can make another.

Basically we will sell for around the same price as a 1996 with decent miles. 8-10k I would like to say.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I would ask is about the engine, if its rebuilt or how many miles and outa what vehicle. There are lotsa LS1s out there and some of them been worked pretty hard.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I will get the lowest mileage motor possible,I can find maybe in the 30k-50k range for a good price. But as it cost me more the price will get closer to 10k. Everything will be gone thru except the shortblock. I will compression test the motor and sight varify that it is ok. You gamble when you buy a high mileage TPI or LT1. I see where your coming from I will find the best motor for the job.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Think if the car was clean getting 10k shouldnt be a problem.

Your arguement would be the hard and expensive work is already done which in the long run will save them $.
However its still a used C4 and the economy is crappy so most will deal huint. At a certain price range most will opt for the newer model car anyway unless they are in love with the C4.

If youre doing it strictly for $ its risky but you know what youre doing and if a certain car is really worth it.

If I had the bux Id pay good money for an LSx conversion done right it would be smog legal out here.
Get the nice lines of the C4 and get rid of those godawful EFI issues that C4s are plagued with.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM
ls1transam84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it for what its worth customs are hard to sell. I built this 84 LS6 6 speed TA. This car had it all from 400hp, AC to ipod hook up. I spent $50K got it in 14 diff magazines won numerous BIG shows (LSX Shootout TA Nats.). It took 2 years to sell and I sold it for $20k. Moral of the story is watch what you spend and if you want to sell a custom build one people want or build one much cheaper then people can build for themselves! Dont count your chickens be for they hatch!
Working people money is still tight, and guys with money DO TEND to buy original cars (because this is an investment) and rarely buy newer then 1973. Chances are guys that would want a LS c4 are going to be young 16-35 most guys that age don't have money till they sell something first.
Good luck
http://www.picturetrail.com/ls1transam84

Last edited by ls1transam84; 11-29-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Not for sure how much this would effect your choice, but the 92-93 have the 4L60 (non electronic transmission) which is basicially a 700r4.
94-96 have the 4L60E (electronic version)
Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Think if the car was clean getting 10k shouldnt be a problem.

Your arguement would be the hard and expensive work is already done which in the long run will save them $.
However its still a used C4 and the economy is crappy so most will deal huint. At a certain price range most will opt for the newer model car anyway unless they are in love with the C4.

If youre doing it strictly for $ its risky but you know what youre doing and if a certain car is really worth it.

If I had the bux Id pay good money for an LSx conversion done right it would be smog legal out here.
Get the nice lines of the C4 and get rid of those godawful EFI issues that C4s are plagued with.
I can do a swap as clean as mine for 3500-5000. If I buy a clean roller or bum motor c4 for $2k-4k range I can do it for $5500 -$9000. And I can knock it out in a week. I got the money to fund the project. I actually got a backer for the project. Hes the one pushing me to do it. Im in the same boats as you guys. Is the juice worth the sqeeze.

Pros
Save a C4 corvette and make it better than planned
Easy to do I know the ins and outs
Great pitch costs as much as a 96 with a better motor

Cons
Vette seller market sucks
Barking on the door of a very used c5
Possibly long term sell
Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ls1transam84
First of all That looks great. Id buy it. I see where your coming from and thats my main concern.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Not for sure how much this would effect your choice, but the 92-93 have the 4L60 (non electronic transmission) which is basicially a 700r4.
94-96 have the 4L60E (electronic version)
Any transmission will work I just need to adjuest the drive line as such. I can upgrade to a 4l60e and I may do this anyway. Sell all the c4 drivetrain to recieve money back.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

You could try to identify a buyer now and then do a custom build to his spec's and budget......

A customer "up north" probably doesn't need the car til next spring giving you time to do the work...

Just a thought...
Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4BUD
You could try to identify a buyer now and then do a custom build to his spec's and budget......

A customer "up north" probably doesn't need the car til next spring giving you time to do the work...

Just a thought...

Another idea would be to offer the service to someone who already has a C4.
In either case I would not do more than one at a time. I was very impressed with your swap if I had the money you would have a customer.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:54 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah I wasnt to sure in others willingness to let me take their car under knife. I wont put down the idea if someone wanted a LS1 Id do it. But again its up to the buyer how much it would cost. Mine cost me $8000 but take away the $1500 rear and downgrade to a LS1 $1500. It will take it down to $5000. If I do the wireharness then we are looking at $4000. And I have ideas for a header that may work saving $500-700. So $3300 will be the cost. And if you have a working motor or even better a great motor thats $500-1000 kicked back to you when it sells. So for $2300-2800 out of pocket when said and done. Now how many people have came close or spent more than that on a rebuilt motor stock.

I would take on maybe 1 or possibly two a month.

I just got a bug for a project and if it will benefit the CF commmunity or another corvette Im willing to put the wrench time in.

Depending customers request makes the labor go up or down. A swap like mine involved alot. Everything was swapped except the tranny. More basic the better.

Last edited by fc_soldier; 11-30-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 C4 build

Old 11-30-2010, 03:41 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

fc_soldier, had I been in VA like I am now instead of CA when my head gaskets blew, I would probably have gone with your conversion.

I think the service structure would be the way to go with this project.

Originally Posted by fc_soldier
Yeah I wasnt to sure in others willingness to let me take their car under knife. I wont put down the idea if someone wanted a LS1 Id do it. But again its up to the buyer how much it would cost. Mine cost me $8000 but take away the $1500 rear and downgrade to a LS1 $1500. It will take it down to $5000. If I do the wireharness then we are looking at $4000. And I have ideas for a header that may work saving $500-700. So $3300 will be the cost. And if you have a working motor or even better a great motor thats $500-1000 kicked back to you when it sells. So for $2300-2800 out of pocket when said and done. Now how many people have came close or spent more than that on a rebuilt motor stock.

I would take on maybe 1 or possibly two a month.

I just got a bug for a project and if it will benefit the CF commmunity or another corvette Im willing to put the wrench time in.

Depending customers request makes the labor go up or down. A swap like mine involved alot. Everything was swapped except the tranny. More basic the better.

Last edited by bolowbc; 11-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm pretty close, got some pics of the conversion on your car?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by neat
I'm pretty close, got some pics of the conversion on your car?

Quick Reply: LS1 C4 build