C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

headlights cause fuel pump prime cycle!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 PM
duntovlives
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default headlights cause fuel pump prime cycle!

i am working on an 88 iroc, with a L98. automatic coupe. pretty decent, unscathed ole' car. i know, i know,,, its not a vette... please dont give me the boot. i am in a pickle, and could sure use some expertise here.

a friend just recently purchased this car, someone has installed a fresh engine/trans. looks good. sounds good. runs good. no SES light. no codes (with the exception of one for a MAF circuit low, one time whilst i was scanning it, but havnt seen it sense after clearing it) i tidied up under the hood. verified all grounds i could come across. checked connections, connectors and so on.

with the KOEO if you hit the brake peddle or turn on the headlights or even the hazards or signals the fuel pump will complete a prime cycle.

that is correct... fuel pump, headlights.

other than that, car operates great.

i have disconnected, reconnected, tried with and without everything imaginable. literally. im figuring,that for some reason the ecm is getting a signal that it thinks is RPM and it is setting fuel pump cycle in motion, then when it sees it isnt running, it ends. everything is kosher between relay and ecm. even replaced fuel pump, maf, burnoff and so on relays just for giggles.

if i disconnect either/and/or the 4wire connector at the distributor, or either 2wire connectors at the coil the problem goes way.

if i remove all the bulbs in the car, the problem goes way.

i have added grounds temporarily here and there on these circuits in hopes of stumbling across the problem with no luck.

i guess more than anything after rackin' my brains all evening, then dismantling a perfectly good car, i just wanted to vent.

i think this evening i will try to isolate the problem by eliminating the lockup and braking circuits. sigh....

any thoughts, ideas, smart **** remarks, name calling and/or prayers are welcomed.

thanks-
Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aftermarket alarm system?

Some times they tie those things into the lights.

I'd check to see if maybe they did some creative stuff with the "engine disable" portion of the aftermaket alarm.

Start looking under the dash under the drivers side for splices, crimps and cut wires.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:28 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You said the problem went away if you removed light bulbs. It may be a clue that a light bulb is basically a high-resistance ground connection.

You could try putting the bulbs back in selectively or one at a time, then seeing if the problem is still there, that could possibly tell you something.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car have a remote starter unit installed?

If you don't have the 'remote' I would still check to see if the unit is under the dash.

Just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To headlights cause fuel pump prime cycle!

Quick Reply: headlights cause fuel pump prime cycle!