C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
danvetman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Headlight problems

I had my car painted a while back and the painter took the headlights apart to paint them and did not get them back in the same way they came out. The gears were bad in one of them and I got new ones and put them in with the help of some stickies. But when I put everything back together and tried the lights, the motor turns the lights on but they slam into the stops on both sides. I think the motor gears on not in the correct sequence with the light bracket. When I put them on, I had them set what looked to be in the correct closed position, but when I turn the lights on, the motor turns the lights and the stop pins hit on the stop marks very hard but the headlights are not all the way up. I am very frustrated, can anyone help me out. These lights are a little different than 88 and up.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the short version of this is if one of them works, use the **** and manually adjust the other one to match the position its at. the other version is to open the hood , turn the lights on, and use the ***** to manually open them both to the same position, or all the way open and firm to the stops. more than this requires taking them back apart. , hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
danvetman
Advanced

They both are doing the same thing. I took them back out again and the small gears are chewed up on both sides. The big gears are ok. Now I have to order two small gears. I just installed one new one. Once I get the new gears back in there, I am afraid the same thing is going to happen again.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

you're small gears may have been bad also, make sure to lube them .
Old 01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
danvetman
Advanced

One of the gears was brand new. I had just replaced it and it had plenty of lube on it. Something else is wrong causing them to strip out and not open properly.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Never been inside one, but there are limit switches. If these are not functioning correctly, bad things can happen.
Maybe a closer look inside is in order.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 PM
danvetman
Advanced

One important thing I forgot to mention is that they are binding when trying to open and close. I don't know how I forgot to put that in there but I did. Must be another senior moment. But they need a helping hand. Don't know why they are binding.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

I went thru all of these same issues with my old style"87" lights , upgraded to the later style, nomo issues.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
danvetman
Advanced

When I have the lights closed in the off position in the correct place, the adjusting **** is very tight in one direction. I was wondering if this is causing the binding in some way? Is the **** suppose to be tight or is it suppose the be able to be turned freely in both directions? I keep thinking that spring is set too tight to begin with and I need to rotate it before installing the motor so that it turns freely in both directions. Any thoughts on this?

I do appreciate the help I'm getting.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

my old ones did that binding , they need to be easy to adjust , both directions.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM
danvetman
Advanced

Thanks OldAlaskaman from an old Okie. I am going to play around with it some more and see what happens while I'm waiting on the gears. If I ruin these gears, I will head towards a new direction probably where you went to.

Thanks again for your help. If I get it figured out, I will let folks know on here so maybe someone else won't go through the same thing again.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

the trick to getting them not to bind is to put the gears in and before you put the cover on rotate them to get the gears good and meshed, put the cover on and rotate them again. If they tighten up take the cover off and look. Sometimes the bushings arent all the way seated

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Headlight problems

Quick Reply: 84 Headlight problems