C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 no electrics at all

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 PM
royhwh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 no electrics at all

Hello, my 92 wont crank, no lights, dash lights, dome lights, nothing. Its happened once or twice before where the whole car goes dead, but it would restart after placing it in park. Last week, I was on the freeway when the engine quit and all the electrics went out. This time it would not restart (had to get a flatbed home). I thought maybe the VATS, but reading the other threads, it seems like the lights should at least come on. The battery is brand new, and it didnt behave like a bad alternator. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headlights, Brake lights, interior lights on the switch -- all of these work? If so .... this was the same scenario my car was when I bought it. The BCM was shot on mine. Could be a bad ground, or other wiring issue. Do you have a factory service manual -- you might need it
Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM
royhwh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. No, everything goes, no electric of any kind. You're probably right, and it is the computer. Did you change your yourself?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

When there are no electrics, THAT is the time to start diagnosis. First measure the voltage at the battery terminals with the headlights turned on. Zero volts tells you a defective battery or a poor connection between the battery cables and the battery posts. Remove the battery cables (neg first) and clean the cable lugs, bolts, and battery terminals and replace the cables (neg last). You should be doing this once a year anyway! If you have 12v approx with headlights off and zero volts with them on and the cables are clean and tight, you have a defective battery, replace it. Almost all the electrical loads go through the ignition switch and it is powered through either a fusible link or a fuse ( I think 92's use a fuse near the battery). Check the fusible link/fuse/ fuse clips for continuity (very low resistance). The ignition switch must be getting 12v and not only does it get power through a fusible link or fuse, the power comes through the firewall connector, so check for 12v on each side of the firewall connector on the pin that supplies power to the ign sw. If you have power to the ign sw but none after it with it on, then see if the ign sw is being activated by the ign lock rod.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with JFB if you don't have headlights or brake lights - the BCM controls a lot but not everything.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm going to assume here there is head lights and running lights and probably it is not a battery or terminal problem. I'm thinking this sounds related to the ignition switch being defective or what I really think is the linkage or switch is loose or out of alignment.

I would start here and see if that portion is OK. Then if nothing is found document the symptoms with more detail without saying all the electric is dead. With that information you can then target the root cause with better direction.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 no electrics at all

Quick Reply: 1992 no electrics at all