C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mass-air sensor 88 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 PM
C-4 owner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass-air sensor 88 coupe

If I start the car with the mass-air plugged in it is hard to start and when it does start the car is smoking badly and runs poorly/big hessitation/bog.When I unplug the mass-air it starts up easily and seems like it runs perfectly.Is the mass-air to blame or one of the relays or something else?I have been having an intermitant starting problem for some time now and have changed alot of parts including the mass-air relays.Keep in mind that when I did this test the car was cold and had not been started in a couple of days.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More than likely your MAF sensor or one or more of your MAF circuit components has a problem. The first thing to do before digging into anything would be to check your ECM for stored trouble codes. Do a "search" here on the forum for directions or most autoparts stores will pull/check trouble codes for free.

On the '88 there are 2 relays for the MAF (burn off and power) replace them both (~ $15 USD each) to see if that helps. If still no dice replace the MAF sensor.

If you just want to install a new MAF sensor make sure you install new relays at the same time....a sticking burn off relay will destroy a old/new MAF sensor in about 1 minute....$$$

Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing with my 1986. I had no codes so I looked elsewhere.

What I found was that the problem was not related to the MAF. I found wires shorting out on the steering column under the battery and also the weatherstrip was allowing water to run down the firewall and get into the wires. The moisture in the area also evaporated and got into the distributor cap so I had to replace that since everything inside was corroded.

I the end the MAF was fine, it just happened to be there first place that I looked.

The moral of the story, if the car doesn't show any codes look somewhere else before spending lots of money on parts.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Default Maf

Replace MAF and all realys

Gary
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
C-4 owner
Instructor

I have started pricing out maf and looks like I will be bying a rebuilt one,thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Mass-air sensor 88 coupe

Quick Reply: Mass-air sensor 88 coupe