C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

You buying tires, read this.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Thomastp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You buying tires, read this.

I had to get new tires for my 94 6 speed coupe. I researched what everyone was using on forum and decided on purchasing Nitto 555s from Discount Tire Direct. I thought I got a great price at $589 delivered. The previous tires were Goodyear F1s and they had given me good service but the rears were down to the wear marks and the ride was very hard. I changed out the tires myself and decided to get them road force balanced. I had my F1s road force balanced and I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Here's where it gets interesting. If you know about road force balancing the best scenario would be to have the number be 0. Mine came out at 22, 24, 25 and 31. The shop said they matched them and this was the best they could do. I drove the car and above 70 I had a noticeable vibration. With my old F1s the car was smooth right up to 85. I called Discount Tire Direct and talked to them and they sent me a new tire for the one that's reading was 31. I installed that tire and had it road force balanced. It measured a 6 without matching. The ride was noticeably improved, less vibration. I called Discount tire, explained the issue. They said they wouldn't send me any more tires because the 22, 24, 25 were supposedly within tolerance. After a discussion the only thing they would do is take the tires back. So.....that's where I am now. I'm out $150 for the balancing and now I have to figure out what to do next. I'm thinking about getting the tires locally. That way if an issue occurs I can deal directly with the shop. I live in Milford, CT. Other than Town Fair Tire does anyone have any suggestions of a decent tire shop? Just beware when buying tires online, and I've purchased a lot of tires online, if you have a problem it can be a real PITA. As far as the Nitto's go the ride was good, wasn't harsh. I don't know if I would go with them again though.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

find a better shop that knows how to 'road force' balance. I had to take mine to two places to get it done right. to add a bit more, when all tires are that close , a good trick is to break the bead loose, rotate the tire 180 , reinflate and redo, they'll usually, but not always , clean up. hope this helps.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 05-13-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 AM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the post I had been considering buying a set of nitto 555s.
A couple years ago I bought a ZR-1 wheel/tire package with Nexen 3000 tires (proof you get what you pay for)--they've been balanced 3 times--2 times on a "Road Force"--they've been broken down and moved around on the wheels--I could never get the numbers down on the "road force"--They just have a bunch of lateral and radial run out.

I guess i'll go with the Goodyear F1s (if they're still available)--they seem to get good reviews overall on the forums. Riding around on footballs takes a lot of the fun out of driving the Vette Thanks again for the post.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Thomastp
Instructor

I've decided to send the Notto's back. Discount Tire Direct sent me the return UPS lables. I've contacted a recommended tire installer form tire rack and talked to him. He does road force and said that if he has a problem tire rack is good to work with. Tire rack has F1s, Continentals, and Kumhos. I had F1s on the car for 8 years. The only complaint was they got very noisy. I think I'll try the Conti's. I've had good luck with them in the past.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Damn, I just ordered a pair from Discount Tire Direct. Hope mine balance out nicely.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

LOL, Had a meaasage on the recorder to call Discount Tire. Turns out that they are not allowed to ship Nitto's to Canada. Doh, I even read that while on their site and forgot. Anyway, I am now getting Yokohama S-Drive, $50 more for the pair, but gave them to me for $20 more.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Nitto 555r's balanced out without hardly any weight. Probably partially a reflection of high quality race wheels though.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I just got a set of Nitto NT05's and while one tire took a fair amount of weights, they ride very smooth at high speeds.

All of the local tire shops are using the new steel weights and it does take more pieces of weights to balance the tire. The new weights are either larger or the same size as the old lead weights and just take more to balance the tire.

On thing that a good shop will do is to mount the tire with the paint dot next to the valve. If the balance shows a lot of weight is needed, the tire can be slipped off the bead and rotated 90 degrees and balanced again. Sometimes there is a heavy side to a wheel but the tire is fine.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:04 PM
pbpix
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 1993 C4, I bought all four "BF Goodrich g/Force T/A " back in 2005 I think for about $155 each ...if I remember right.

I saw a good price online but when I checked with my local shop he was willing to match or beat my otherwise excellent on-line price.. so I bought it from the local shop.
He gets the business and treats me like a friend and he was glad to have a chance to compete.

The tires are a lot "softer-feeling" and so much more comfortable riding than my factory Goodyears
Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no experience with Discount Tire, however, I have bought many sets of tires online from the Tire Rack and have so far had no issues with their tires or service. I bought several sets of racing tires from them in the early 1990's when I was road racing in the SCCA. I will continue to buy my tires from them based on my past experience over the past 20 years.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 298 Likes on 227 Posts

I was thinking it was just me not that I'm glad other people are haveing prop. I think where is something oning on with this tire thing. Years ago buy new tires get mounted Ect. drive away and all was good . The last set I had mounted Ect. three shops later and ok but I think could be better. I think people are not trained to do it right . Maybe you get what you pay for .I just put Michelins on my Audi lot's money in these and no prop. but two year old wheels .I guess it's a money thing . all I know used to be fun putting new tires on yea get to try them out now not so much... Pain in the %^&*...
Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
LT4 F45
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for highjacking the tread At how much pressure are you guys driving your vette tires? mine is a 94 6 speed coupe with new G/Y F1's all around, i've tried 30 as said on the door... Too soft
35 feels o.k. but maybe you have advice on a good spot... Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe it or not,......those Very Expensive Radial Force Balance Wheel & Tire machines are not always 100 % accurate even with a factory GM or Hunter Tire machine tech guy operating it.

A big problem is that nothing is made here in the USA, Canada, Ect.
It all comes from China.

If it comes from Japan it is rare and a good thing today.

China does not adhere to manufacturing tolerances like we used to in the USA.

That includes Tires & aftermarket wheels.

Only top dollar aftermarket racing parts & gear are still made in the USA.
And you pay $$$$$ for them.

I prefer the best.
Save up $$$ to have the best the 1st time around.

But that is just me.
If all else fails and it has for me,
The ancient Bubble Wheel Balancer still works very good.

I used a bubble wheel balancer on my 1990 factory ZR-1 rear wheels 11x17 & Goodyear GSC's.

Tires and rims were so big that they would not fit on the old computerized wheel balancer at work.

With the bubble balancer and stick on lead weights alone,
I had no vibrations at 100mph steady cruising.

I rechecked at a friends shop with a brand new wheel balancer machine non radial force,

I had "0" balance on all 4 wheels.

Bubble balance still works with care and patience.

BR

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 05-15-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 AM
MARKSC4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have worked in the tire industry for 35+ years.
I have done engineering and design in all phases of tire production from stock prep to final finish.
And I have worked for the big three, plus more tire companies.

I buy Goodyear tires, period.

Last edited by MARKSC4; 05-16-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Doughboy2k3
Pro

Originally Posted by Thomastp
I had to get new tires for my 94 6 speed coupe. I researched what everyone was using on forum and decided on purchasing Nitto 555s from Discount Tire Direct. I thought I got a great price at $589 delivered. The previous tires were Goodyear F1s and they had given me good service but the rears were down to the wear marks and the ride was very hard. I changed out the tires myself and decided to get them road force balanced. I had my F1s road force balanced and I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Here's where it gets interesting. If you know about road force balancing the best scenario would be to have the number be 0. Mine came out at 22, 24, 25 and 31. The shop said they matched them and this was the best they could do. I drove the car and above 70 I had a noticeable vibration. With my old F1s the car was smooth right up to 85. I called Discount Tire Direct and talked to them and they sent me a new tire for the one that's reading was 31. I installed that tire and had it road force balanced. It measured a 6 without matching. The ride was noticeably improved, less vibration. I called Discount tire, explained the issue. They said they wouldn't send me any more tires because the 22, 24, 25 were supposedly within tolerance. After a discussion the only thing they would do is take the tires back. So.....that's where I am now. I'm out $150 for the balancing and now I have to figure out what to do next. I'm thinking about getting the tires locally. That way if an issue occurs I can deal directly with the shop. I live in Milford, CT. Other than Town Fair Tire does anyone have any suggestions of a decent tire shop? Just beware when buying tires online, and I've purchased a lot of tires online, if you have a problem it can be a real PITA. As far as the Nitto's go the ride was good, wasn't harsh. I don't know if I would go with them again though.
Hey I live in West Haven. Print the check out page from Discount Tire and Town Fair will price match it for you. Where do you get it force balanced in the area? I just got a set of 315's for the rear and 275's for the front of the Nitto NT05 tires. Ended up being $805 installed and balanced with a 30 day test drive.

Last edited by Doughboy2k3; 05-16-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Believe it or not,......those Very Expensive Radial Force Balance Wheel & Tire machines are not always 100 % accurate even with a factory GM or Hunter Tire machine tech guy operating it.

A big problem is that nothing is made here in the USA, Canada, Ect.
It all comes from China.

If it comes from Japan it is rare and a good thing today.

China does not adhere to manufacturing tolerances like we used to in the USA.

That includes Tires & aftermarket wheels.

Only top dollar aftermarket racing parts & gear are still made in the USA.
And you pay $$$$$ for them.

I prefer the best.
Save up $$$ to have the best the 1st time around.

But that is just me.
If all else fails and it has for me,
The ancient Bubble Wheel Balancer still works very good.

I used a bubble wheel balancer on my 1990 factory ZR-1 rear wheels 11x17 & Goodyear GSC's.

Tires and rims were so big that they would not fit on the old computerized wheel balancer at work.

With the bubble balancer and stick on lead weights alone,
I had no vibrations at 100mph steady cruising.

I rechecked at a friends shop with a brand new wheel balancer machine non radial force,

I had "0" balance on all 4 wheels.

Bubble balance still works with care and patience.

BR
You should have used your good luck to buy a lottery ticket. Static balancing with a bubble level is great if you are going to drive your car with the wheels stationary, BUT....if your tires are rotating while you are driving, then you need to dynamically balance your wheels. Dynamic balancing takes into account that the rotating assembly (wheel and tire) does not have an imbalance only in one plane. Static balance must assume that the imbalance is in one plane.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
You should have used your good luck to buy a lottery ticket. Static balancing with a bubble level is great if you are going to drive your car with the wheels stationary, BUT....if your tires are rotating while you are driving, then you need to dynamically balance your wheels. Dynamic balancing takes into account that the rotating assembly (wheel and tire) does not have an imbalance only in one plane. Static balance must assume that the imbalance is in one plane.
LOL.

My boss showed me that ancient bubble wheel balancer under neath one of the work benches at work last year with my rear 90 ZR1 wheels & tires.

I laughed at 1st.
Then I tried it.

Believe it or not it works very good.
And is easy to do with just some patience.

The results are surreal.

Maybe I should play the lottery.......I never do.

brian

Get notified of new replies

To You buying tires, read this.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Bobzilla
Racer

Yeah... I mount my own here at work. We use the Hunter 9500 and there is no way I'd try to balance them on anything else. THe vette isn't so bad, but the DD has to be BELOW 10lbs of roadforce or the steering wheel vibrates so bad it's retarded. There's no way you can get a bubble balancer to do that.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

Default nitto 555's

I ordered Nitto 555's for my 90 convertible stock 17 " rims from discount tire .com they over nited them for free , anyway all 4 tires balanced out with -0- thats right ZERO WEIGHTS , THE TIRE TECH TOOK THE TIME TO ALIGN THE VALVE STEM SPOT ON TIRE CORRECTLY ,AND I HAVE ZERO VIBRATION UP TO 140 MPH , MY SUGGESTION -FIND A BETTER TIRE SHOP . Also must mention I refinished my stock rims inside and out local rim refurbishment company wanted $160.00 per rim = $640.00, I purchased all required stripper and paint /clear from auto zone for $22.00 and did them myself time required about 3 hours each rim .
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I seriously doubt you got 4 bad ones - you got the "new guy" or someone who just messed everything up because they didn't give a "_uck".

find another shop to do the installation/balance work....most stealerships will have both a current/calibrated "road force" machine and quality personnel to get the job done....and yes it will cost a bit more.

Note:
Tire guys live/love to way over inflate tires so the beads seat easier for them......problem is this overpreassure can damage/break the internal belts of the tire creating problems for the useful life of the tire.

Last edited by engle1147; 05-17-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: You buying tires, read this.