C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OBD II socket replacement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
mrvideosawyer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD II socket replacement

I noticed when I got under dash to hook up OBD reader that it was dangeling from its mounting point (looks like the ears where screw makes attachment broke off) - Has anyone changed this before? I was wondering how hard it would be to change. It has the OBD II socket but I guess it is read with an OBD I software.
Thanks in advance
Jim Sawyer
1995 C4 -
Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Changing the connector with some electrical experience is not a big deal to replace. The OBD2 connector used on 94-95 with OBD1 system. Yes, some sort OBD1 software is used.

The on board diagnostics do work great.

Obtaining the correct connector might be a challenge to get.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvideosawyer
I noticed when I got under dash to hook up OBD reader that it was dangeling from its mounting point (looks like the ears where screw makes attachment broke off) - Has anyone changed this before? I was wondering how hard it would be to change. It has the OBD II socket but I guess it is read with an OBD I software.
Thanks in advance
Jim Sawyer
1995 C4 -
Not trying to be funny, but Velcro would make a good attachment. Would make it easier to access.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
davearnold
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along this line of discussion, I have a 96 with OBD II connector, and I understand that it can be read with an OBD II diagnostic device. I have two such readers, and neither one can get anything out. When I look at the pins, I have wires on pins 2,3,4,6,9 and 16, as I believe I should, but I also have several extra wires on some other pins. pcolt94 mentioned "on board diagnostics". Can anyone tell me how that works?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davearnold
Along this line of discussion, I have a 96 with OBD II connector, and I understand that it can be read with an OBD II diagnostic device. I have two such readers, and neither one can get anything out. When I look at the pins, I have wires on pins 2,3,4,6,9 and 16, as I believe I should, but I also have several extra wires on some other pins. pcolt94 mentioned "on board diagnostics". Can anyone tell me how that works?
The 94 & 95 were OBD1 systems with an OBD2 connector. This was to get ready for OBD2 in 96 where all cars were mandated to go to.

Your 96 is a OBD2 system and a OBD2 scanner should work. From what I know and others that have posted on the 96, the on board diagnostics does not work as it does for the 94 and 95 models. I do not own a 96 so don’t have first hand information. But I believe a scanner is necessary to get the codes for a 96.

I don’t know why you are having a problem getting the codes with your scanner. I would first test the scanners on another OBD2 car and see if it works. If it does there might be a problem with your 96. Make sure there are no pushed pins in the connector and not any broken wires behind the connector.

What does your scanners do? Do they say anything about a communication error?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
davearnold
Cruising

I will have to try it again tonight and see exactly what it says. It powers up, but it says something about can't find a link. I'll respond with exactly what it says, after I retry it again tonight.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 AM
davearnold
Cruising

Default OBD II Connector

Good Call. I found a pushed in pin on my vehicle connector. re-seated it fully into the connector, and all is well. (except the 5 DTC's I found) Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davearnold
Good Call. I found a pushed in pin on my vehicle connector. re-seated it fully into the connector, and all is well. (except the 5 DTC's I found) Thanks.
Exxxxcellent.

Get notified of new replies

To OBD II socket replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD II socket replacement