C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mass Air Flow Meter problems....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 AM
RicG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mass Air Flow Meter problems....

I have an 89 Corvette, I haven’t had the car very long and I am trying iron out a few problems... One being the Mass Air Flow meter. I discovered recently that the meter is disconnected. The car is running a little rough from time to time so I thought by connecting back it would it would make an improvement... Quite the opposite, I could barely get it started and it wouldn’t even idle.

I have read about other meters that have an effect on performance so my concern here is if I replace the MAF meter and the relays will this fix the problems I am having and also make the “Service Engine Soon” light shut off??

Is there anyone who has had a similar experience? Also I am in Australia so I will have to by the parts online so I need to know where is a good online shop for parts.

Thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Replace the relays before replacing the actual sensor itself. You might get lucky.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:27 AM
RicG
Intermediate

Thank you.... Thats a good idea but the unit looks like a reconditioned one as the is silocone sealant around the casing.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

You're right, it is more than likely to be a Reman'd then. Being down in australia maybe you would just order both relays and the sensor itself and be done with it, that way you wouldn't have to wait for a new MAF is you replaced the relays and that didn't do the trick.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RicG
Thank you.... Thats a good idea but the unit looks like a reconditioned one as the is silocone sealant around the casing.
The relays are on the firewall, not sure if they moved them on your conversion, but I doubt it.

MAF code diagnostics from my 86 FSM

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2033.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2034.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2036.pdf

How to retrieve ECM codes

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need the sensor. I have a new one like this in the box. http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=3.7287

PM sent
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
RicG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
You're right, it is more than likely to be a Reman'd then. Being down in australia maybe you would just order both relays and the sensor itself and be done with it, that way you wouldn't have to wait for a new MAF is you replaced the relays and that didn't do the trick.
Thanks, I am going to replace the lot.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
RicG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
The relays are on the firewall, not sure if they moved them on your conversion, but I doubt it.

MAF code diagnostics from my 86 FSM

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2033.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2034.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2036.pdf

How to retrieve ECM codes

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

Thanks for the info Agent 86.... I will need some time to go through it.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Tony A.
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I am going to replace the lot.

Please provide updates for when you figure this out...would like to know what you do to fix it.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:13 PM
icemaidenz
Advanced

hi i was having issues from hell as well code 33 fuel pump running rich etc etc bought a new boche 1200 map and well still wont start soooo im going to throw a bowl and carb and be done with the whole thing so i have a new boch map sensor if your intereted
Old 06-18-2011, 04:13 AM
RicG
Intermediate

Tony A... It will take a while as I have source the parts from the US... But yeah I will keep you posted.

I really hope the MAF and relays will fix the problem as it is not running the best and I think it is running a bit rich as the exhaust is black on the pipes. It is difficult to start especially when hot.

Fingers crossed....
Old 06-18-2011, 04:13 AM
RicG
Intermediate

Icemadenz,

I PM you....
Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Tony A... It will take a while as I have source the parts from the US... But yeah I will keep you posted.

I really hope the MAF and relays will fix the problem as it is not running the best and I think it is running a bit rich as the exhaust is black on the pipes. It is difficult to start especially when hot.

Fingers crossed....
A guy in "Parts for Sale" is parting out his 88. He has a MAF sensor (screens removed) he's asking $70 for but no one is really responding yet so I'd bet he take a little less.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-p...tc-88-car.html
Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 AM
RicG
Intermediate

UPDATE...

I got my new / second hand MAF... I also have ordered parts from the US (relays)...

I didn’t wait for the other parts... Got home early from work and in my inpatients installed the MAF and it works fine and it seems to run a little smoother than having the old MAF disconnected. I could barely get it to start with the old one connected up as it was faulty. Strange though it took a little time to settle in but when it did, it starts hot easy as and the biggest of all at the moment the "Service Engine Soon" light turned off. So cool.... It idles a little rough, so I guess I just need a tune as the previous owner didn’t do much to look after it. So hopefully all is good for now.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM
RicG
Intermediate

A thanks mate.. To Kool88vette...
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

UPDATE...

I got my new / second hand MAF... I also have ordered parts from the US (relays)...

I didn’t wait for the other parts... Got home early from work and in my inpatients installed the MAF and it works fine and it seems to run a little smoother than having the old MAF disconnected. I could barely get it to start with the old one connected up as it was faulty. Strange though it took a little time to settle in but when it did, it starts hot easy as and the biggest of all at the moment the "Service Engine Soon" light turned off. So cool.... It idles a little rough, so I guess I just need a tune as the previous owner didn’t do much to look after it. So hopefully all is good for now.
It would be normal for it to take time to "settle in". The ECM is correcting it's values based on the new MAF. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 PM
AllCaucasianC4
3rd Gear

Default MAF problems on 88 c4

Just started driving a garage kept 35th anniversary vette (88k) and has had the same problem since started driving. When going into a "limp mode" (service light appears) the car will barely make it up hills without playing with the pedal. Letting off the gas gently gets you going, pedal down and the car makes popping sound and does't go anywhere. Also transmission feels jumpy and has hard time passing through gears. Forums tell me MAF and relays. Does this sound like the right match for my problem?
All comments are much appreciated and help make this site the best tool for the job!

Get notified of new replies

To Mass Air Flow Meter problems....

Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Tony A.
Racer

Originally Posted by AllCaucasianC4
Just started driving a garage kept 35th anniversary vette (88k) and has had the same problem since started driving. When going into a "limp mode" (service light appears) the car will barely make it up hills without playing with the pedal. Letting off the gas gently gets you going, pedal down and the car makes popping sound and does't go anywhere. Also transmission feels jumpy and has hard time passing through gears. Forums tell me MAF and relays. Does this sound like the right match for my problem?
All comments are much appreciated and help make this site the best tool for the job!
My 88 had a similar problem. Mine turned out to be the fuel pump and fuel filter. Fuel filter was so clogged, the fuel pump would overheat. It would still run but had a real hard time getting fuel to the injectors and would appear to get into limp home mode.

Does your car run ok for like 5-10 mins after cold start then starts acting up? If so, check those items.

Last edited by Tony A.; 07-26-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
AllCaucasianC4
3rd Gear

Default Reply to Tony A.

Yes! runs great cold for the first couple of min then if you hit that pedal the wrong way it goes into that mode. If you have any tips or suggestions for me, lay them on me. Much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 PM
Zike Gladion
Cruising

Default Maf code

Hay I have an 86 which is running so rough it can’t even do a burnout. My dad is convinced it’s a vacuum leak but I can’t find it. We unplugged the maf to check it and the vette would idle normally, but it’d throw a code. Then when we plug it back in the code goes away. Is it possible that the maf is still defective?

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow Meter problems....