C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Coolant Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:43 PM
scottajax
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Coolant Issue

I'm more of a jet mechanic than a car mechanic so bare with me.

My cars been running fine and even now doesn't have any issues except for its overheating. I got it home a week ago, normal driving, normal conditions but when I shut it off and went to walk away I heard a bubbling/hissing noise coming from my engine. Popped the hood and there was coolant bubbling its way on to the top of my engine block. Problem is I can't find where its coming from without tearing off the top half of my engine and I quite frankly dont have the tools or the know how to do so. I've been looking at possibilities of what it could be, I ruled out head gasket because their doesnt seem to be any cross-contamination of the oil and coolant (I could be wrong in that assumption) and I do know I had a minor vacuum leak on the intake manifold for a while but I don't know if that could be the culprit. Anyways since then every time I start her up she starts to dump coolant and it's pretty frustrating. Any ideas what the issue could be??

**Edit** My buddy said it could be the thermostat housing??I don't know if this sounds right to any of you. BTW the coolant is pooling up on the top-right side of my engine.

Last edited by scottajax; 06-26-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

get a nice bright light and start lookin , with the car runnin, doesnt take a mechanic for that, you may save yourself some serious dinero. I had a guy bring me a 'all my friends' diagnosed head gasket leak years ago, wound up bein a freeze plug at the back of the head, and as luck would have it , he had a plug in his firewall that allowed me to replace it with out head removal. his bill went from $400 to bout $120
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
joe paco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw a post somewhere that had a coolant leak in the throttle body, which has a coolant line attached, maybe more than one. if loose, it should spray towards the rear of the intake, under plenum. its a simple hose and screw clamp.

what makes my old LJ25B J-85 GE engine hard to start?

saludos, joe
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Your friend might be right. A leaking theromostat housing will leave water on top of the intake manifold. Dry the area, and check it after running.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Coolant Issue

Quick Reply: 84 Coolant Issue