C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Driver Information Center

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 PM
SteveWalters
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Information Center

Sorry for a total newbie idiot question but I'm looking at a 1993 C4 and the Driver Information Center is totally dark. I realize that you don't want to see anything light up there (smile) but does it turn on for a short time when starting the engine so you can see that it's working?

This one never ever shows any thing at all. I fear it may not be working. Is there a way to check it?

This will be my first Corvette so I'm a complete newbie. I've wanted one for about 15 years since visiting the Corvette factory and Museum in KY during a family vacation. This baby has 77K miles on it and is in excellent condition, drives nice and looks pretty. Tires are not new but still have a good many miles left in them. I'm getting it for $11K which seems like a decent deal. Any remarks on the price etc would be welcome. Or any helpful suggestions.

Thanks!

Steve...in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Steve20
Pro

it's impossible to determine the value of the car without pics. Even then, you need to hear it.I think others would agree 11.5 for a 77K mile C4 of this vintage is about 4.5 K too high. Check out the other C4's for sale and their condition to see if it's a good deal or not, before signing the paper

Steve
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The market is soooooooo soft right now that nice C4's are selling for less than same yr Corollas and Maximas...with twice the milage.
That 93 at 77K will sell avg right now for $7500 in NICE condition with receipts for the maint. The seller is well aware of this but he also knows that Corvettes are personal purchases and the rules often don;t apply.

1st rule of Corvette buying --> NEVER FALL in LOVE...
There WILL be another one if this one can't be had.

oh yeah...the display,

yes the lites should cycle on as the key is turned then go out as it starts and runs. They should only illuminate as the typical tattletale or 'idiot-lite' would when there is an actual problem....door ajar, hatch, ABS etc.

Last edited by leesvet; 06-27-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Way too much money

I just bought a 1992 with 49000 miles in April for $ 8300. The car is in really nice condition. With 77K miles on it and the DIC not working it is WAY overpriced. Dealers and Autotrader have overpriced cars. The cars on Craigslist seem to be more reasonably priced but are still too high. The car I bought was advertised on Craigslist for a little over $ 11000. Note: The rear wheels are now installed correctly.
<p>
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveWalters
Sorry for a total newbie idiot question but I'm looking at a 1993 C4 and the Driver Information Center is totally dark. I realize that you don't want to see anything light up there (smile) but does it turn on for a short time when starting the engine so you can see that it's working?

This one never ever shows any thing at all. I fear it may not be working. Is there a way to check it?
When the key is turned and the engine started about half the lights should light for a second or two. It monitors many systems and if nothing is lighting, that is a wide spread problem. Unless there is a bad ground or the DIP is unplugged, I could not imagine what that problem might be.

It always pays to buy something working properly rather than to fix a bag of problems on a new purchase. What else can't you see? As said you are paying a good amount for the car and things should work better than you indicated. On the other hand if the price was $4,000, that would be another story.

For that money get something that works, you will be happier. Low mileage is not everything, but TLC is.
You will have lots of stuff to work on later anyway.

Last edited by pcolt94; 06-27-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
SteveWalters
2nd Gear

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate your advice and help!

Steve...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM
C4GUY
Instructor

I just bought a 1995 with 39K in mint condtion for $11.5 that included new Corsa exhaust, shorty headers, gears, Zr1 wheels, new tires and perfect maintenance records with no issues at all and perfect body.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Information Center

Quick Reply: Driver Information Center