C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fly Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Psychored
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Wheel

My fly wheel has become loose, making a knocking sound. I have the 89 coupe with 6 speed tranny and looking for the best place to find a dual mass fly wheel. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only place you are going to find one is used. I would try to find something low mileage if you want to stick to the DMF. Fleabay possibly?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
milsurpman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Psychored
My fly wheel has become loose, making a knocking sound. I have the 89 coupe with 6 speed tranny and looking for the best place to find a dual mass fly wheel. Any suggestions? Thanks
You sure your engine doesn't have a miss or is running a bit rough. If it is the dual mass makes this noise excessively under these conditions. My flywheel notified me of my injectors failing. Flywheel is going to be hard to find. Most go to a heavy weight single mass flywheel with sprung hub clutch setup to keep the zf semi quiet.

Last edited by milsurpman; 06-29-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Psychored
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milsurpman
You sure your engine doesn't have a miss or is running a bit rough. If it is the dual mass makes this noise excessively under these conditions. My flywheel notified me of my injectors failing. Flywheel is going to be hard to find. Most go to a heavy weight single mass flywheel with sprung hub clutch setup to keep the zf semi quiet.
I've had a knocking sound in the engine for a while after the motor warms up, but only when I'm stopped. I took it to a mechanic who took his stethoscope all around the engine, etc and said the noise was coming from the bell housing. We both thought it was the clutch, but once he got it apart, the fly wheel has too much play in it, the 2 pieces. So, I either live with the knock or replace the fly wheel.

Get notified of new replies

To Fly Wheel

Quick Reply: Fly Wheel