C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help please .my 85 is hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 10:15 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help please .my 85 is hard to start

ok guys i have a 85 stock 115k miles on it .overnight it has gotten hard to start and the miledge has dropped 5 miles to the gallon .i could just put the key in from outside the car and it would start right up .now you may pump the gas this time and it will start once,then the next time it may try to flood .any suggestion ill try. im not paying 65.00 dollars hourly labor at a shop ill try it myself first .
Old 04-24-2002, 10:31 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help please .my 85 is hard to start (vet85)

First of all, you should never pump the gas with fuel injection. If you find your car is flooded, just clear it by pushing the peddle to the floor then start it. You should pull your plugs and take a look at them. They will tell you a story if fouled. Someone should ring in here soon and tell you about your injectors or do a search above. TPS could be sticking or in need of adjustment, check fuel pressure and the filter.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:42 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

Default Re: help please .my 85 is hard to start (JonM)

thanks ,im aware about not pushing the pedal but one time it may start and the next it wont and you have do give it gas .this car has never 1 time given me a problem thats why im asking for help its got me baffeled .thanks for the advice i need all the help i can get .
Old 04-24-2002, 10:49 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you pulled codes? EGR circut will cause the above symptoms...but it should have set some codes tho....
Old 04-24-2002, 11:05 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

Default Re: help please .my 85 is hard to start (ittlfly)

thanks again .the answer is no codes and ive been to 2 shops .i just dont know what to change first tps, maf ,etc i dont mind trying a few things .the car is in excellent shape.thanks for all advice
Old 04-24-2002, 11:24 PM
quiksilver458
Melting Slicks

pull the fuel filter out an take a look.. i had similar problems with my car a few weeks ago.. it is located on the frame under the car directly behind the front right tire.. its a lil silver canister looking thing.. should be 1 line in, 1 line out.. Be sure to plug the line coming from the rear of car.. by the time u fool around you take will be empty :) pull it out an replace it.. their only a couple bucks.. if that doesnt solve the problem, then when u do figure it out, the car should run even better :lol:
Old 04-24-2002, 11:25 PM
gpagaduan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the mileage on my 1990 began dropping, it turned out to be a bad coil and one bad wire. The hard to problem happened later. Mine turned out to be leaky injector. Do you smell any fuel when your car finally turns over? The other time my car was hard to start, it turned out to be the starter. I agree, $65/hr is rough as long as you can do it yourself. The key is getting diagnosing the problem. Good luck. :cool:
Old 04-25-2002, 01:13 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are a lot of things that can cause intermittent hard starting. Considering the age of your car, one thing could be your injectors starting to leak. I would recommend a leak down test. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the shrader valve at the rear of the fuel rail, turn on the ignition to get the fuel pump to run its 2 seconds, then turn off the ign. GM says that you should not lose more than 1 psi in 30 minutes or your injectors are considered leaking. When you start your car, the fuel pump only runs for 2 seconds and if the engine catches, there is an oil pressure switch that turns on the fuel pump when the engine catches and makes lots of oil pressure. Leaky injectors bleed off the initial fuel pressure and if the engine didn't catch right away, further cranking will not help. Dealers replaced under warranty the original injectors for leak down problems and the replacement injectors have a green ring around them. You might check if yours have a green ring. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To help please .my 85 is hard to start

Quick Reply: help please .my 85 is hard to start