C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crank / No Spark problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 12:49 PM
K Kiser
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90 c4 vette
. I have a no spark issue. I replaced the cap, rotor, ignition coil, fixed loose wires on the coil, pick up coil, also put a new ground strap on it. It fired up about 5 times but not consecutively. Now after replace the pick up coil 0 spark. I'm stumped and scan tool only starts at 95. I'm lost here and looking for someone smarter than me to help.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:46 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K Kiser
90 c4 vette
. I have a no spark issue. I replaced the cap, rotor, ignition coil, fixed loose wires on the coil, pick up coil, also put a new ground strap on it. It fired up about 5 times but not consecutively. Now after replace the pick up coil 0 spark. I'm stumped and scan tool only starts at 95. I'm lost here and looking for someone smarter than me to help.
Well, first off...welcome to the forum.

From your post, the engine cranks but won't start. Are you sure lack of spark is the issue? First step should be to confirm no spark on at least one plug. If you don't have a high-voltage test light, ground a spare spark plug with the plug wire connected and crank the engine to test, do that on a couple of plug wires. A spark there then boils down to a timing or lack of fuel issue. If no spark, bearing in mind that these cars are old enough to vote and then some, you should check each element of the ignition circuit with a 12 volt test probe. Test to see if there is power to the low-voltage side of the coil with the ignition key in "crank" position. If yes, with the test light still connected, have a helper wiggle the key in the ignition switch to see if there is an intermittent short in the wiring upstream from the coil. If yes, follow the electrical path from the coil to the distributor using the high-volt tester. The goal is to isolate the faulty element in the circuit.

Last edited by sailorsteve; 07-28-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by K Kiser
90 c4 vette
Hope this video helps !!!

Quick Reply: Crank / No Spark problem