C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

can anybody point me to good sites for performance build of the ltx.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
I race my 92 every week. My family builds race engine for a living. I see them every weeks at the track. I ride a Speed Triple and can leave most any street driven automobile. Done so on many occasions.

Local guy has a new 10R and he's no Rickey Gadson. Dead stock it went 6.70's @114mph in the 1/8th mile. Strapped down he's in the 6.30's.... That's almost a second and 10mph faster than my 92.

Crap man anybody in a stock C6Z can surprise a douche ride on a Busa and hand him a few car lengths for a little while. I thought you were talking about actually building the kind of power it takes to out run one.

Again with the 10.5 references. Take it from someone who actually wrenches on one. YOUR NOT GOING TO DRIVE IT ON THE STREET.

My brothers X275 Mustang can whip up on a liter bike. Guess what, your not going to drive it on the street either.

If these clowns on z28 have street cars that are so fast, where are they?? They could be a runaway in 10.5 outlaw or X275, and then crusing the mean streets on off weeks taking down guys like me.

I'm telling you there are a hanful of people in the entire country that have a steeet capable car that is really that fast and they arn't posting the build details on the internet or bragging about how they are taking down liter bikes.

But I'll tell you what. I do this **** for a living and I got the chedder anytime any place. Anybody over there on z28 bragging about their liter killer build that is in Northern VA, DC or MD and wants to come and prove me wrong is welcome to send a PM and we'll go see what they got.
Will
10.5 is possible or even faster! I am not sure how the block will hold together and the drive train. Check this out, it is not a LTx but, it shows that it can be done
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ght=gear+drive

Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Here is a link to the sledgehammer. http://www.fastcoolcars.com/callaway_sledgehammer.htm
But keep these things in mind when talking about it.
1. It had one of the best engineering companys to design it.
2. It cost $400,000.00
3. Even with it set up as it was as a street friendly car it only ran 10.6's
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
We are not even on the same page with the ternimalogy.

This is a 10.5 car. And us at 7.0's is middle of the field in NMRA (althou consistancy wins races). The turbo guys (Conrad S and Mike M) are capable of 6.50's in qualifying trim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRN60Q9N0DE

Your bat **** crazy if you think you can drive it around on the street.

As far as street cars. My 92 6spd runs 11.10's at 127mph on a 315/35R17 radial with a high 1.70 60ft. I stuck there because I can destroy the rear end anytime I want by simply dropping the clutch too hard on launch.

Yea if I stuck my little weak sauce LTX in a race car with a 9" and braked powerglide it would go mid 10's easy and could run a bike to death from a dig. But then it would be a 10 second race car and nothing resembling a street car.

Your not going to build a 9 second (even 10 second) street car with bolt ons. I have nearly $8K in just the engine in my 92. A cool $800 between the clutch and FW. Nearly $1K in the rear end and still it breaks all the time. 4pt roll bar just so it's legal to race at the track.... well the local 1/8th mile.... No I'll take that one back, because as of now I don't even have enough roll bar for as fast as I'm going let alone what the car is capable of on a bonzi pass with real tires under it. A cool $1K in track wheels and tires. Add in the $11K I paid for a mint condition 40K mile 92 6spd and all the little stuff it takes to get something of this caliber running and driveable. Your now on the good side of $25K in a high 10 second street car (when it don't break) and it's still just a 92 Corvette.

I spent it because I love car. It was a project that I wanted to do for myself and it kinda spiraled out of control for a while - but come on with my credentials and connections I could have easily built the GM equal to my brothers X275 car for the same $$$ and had a race car nearly 2 seconds faster than what I do have (of course the 24mpg, 93 octane gas and AC on a 100* day sitting in DC traffic is nice to have).

A c6Z with a built diff/tranny and bottle or turbo kit would be as fast or faster than my 92 depending - but the cash outlay is going to be more still.

To knock another second or nearly so off of either is going to require a built engine in the c6Z or a bottle/turbo/supercharger on my car. On top of $25K already invested. Requirement for more roll bar, fire suppression system, Both rear ends are iffy now... how about after we slap another 200hp on them....

I just know some clown is going to come along at any min and tell you how he runs faster than me with a bolt on stock bottom end 93 F body, and that it's on an autozone clutch and the stock 2.73 geared 10 bolt never breaks....

Like I said in my post above, bring that BS on. I know what it takes to run that fast. All the BS on whatever internet site is just that.

One car in the 12yr span of C4 production. Engine built by one of the highest caliber professional engine builders/racers in drag racing history and the rest of the car built by a legend in the Corvette world. How much was a regular B2K?? MSRP on the Sledgehammer?? Yet there is all this talk about how easy it is to duplicate or even surpass from the b team on z28.....

Yea! Let me have a hit off that crack pipe.

You have been reading too many internet performance claims and it's affected your ability to process a clear train of thought. I linked you to the LTX shootout and there were (get ready for it) 0 cars in the 9's last year. 3-4 cars in the 10's and maybe 10 cars in the 11's. If these internet guys making all the 9 second claims were for real, they would have easy pickings at the most prestegious LTX race in the world.... I'll be there with bells on waiting for them in September.

Like I said at the beginning of this. In the REAL WORLD there are maybe a handful of street cars capable of that kind of performance. That is because there are only a handful of people capable of building them and those people don't really fool with LT1's and definatly don't post about it on z28.
Will

I guess the issue I have is our site (c4 tech) we are the slow people out there.

Camaroz28, etc. seems to have the faster ltx cars. Much faster.

Heck read the c5 / 6 forced induction section of this site.. Seems like everyone is running 9s.

And no, I dont believe the lsx is so magical. Yes, its better, but start adding forced induction and its higher-flow-heads advantages start getting nullified.

Theres just so much more aftermarket support for those cars vs. ours. East Coast Supercharging, etc. And its cheap!

Some could even argue the ltx is better, in some cases, due to its iron block (those guys lose HP due to block flex once >800 rwhp), an extra head bolt per cylinder (i am told), and reverse cooling.

Really I dont care if I lose a dragstrip race by .1 second. Im out there to have a wild ride.

Forced induction is where its it. Gears/cubes/ cam / stall converter was the old way you did it.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by yedister
10.5 is possible or even faster! I am not sure how the block will hold together and the drive train. Check this out, it is not a LTx but, it shows that it can be done
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ght=gear+drive

I know the car. It's in my locality.

He has a VERY fast race car made up to look as stock as possible on the outside...

Not taking anything away from the guy. He has some talent and big ***** to even undertake a project like that, let alone drive it around on the street. Props for a very unique and very fast car.

I'd pay to see the b team talking heads on z28 build it's fbody likeness....

Reguardless 8.80's is a long way off an outlaw 10.5 car (Murrillo has been 6.50's@228MPH). We had one of the fastest NO2 cars out there and were running 7.0's@in the 190's last year.

Now lets take a look at what it takes to run 8.80's.... take a look at the F2 blower and then the underhood shots on page 3.... blower is located forward of the core support and the radiator is hung at an angle above it right by the front of the hood.... Check out how the TB is pointed at the firewall.... anybody notice the 4.5" intercooler pipe going thru the firewall into the passenger compartment...

Yea you CAN "drive it" on the street but I don't think you could really drive it everywhere... not like your Camery anyway. It will put around on the street on 93 octane but he has to actually race it on (you guessed it) racing gas....

You guys really do think you can just bolt this stuff together out of Summit and go run with the big boys.... I can guarantee you that guy knows better.
Will
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Almost no part other than the body can handle the 700 to 800hp it takes to run those times anyway. So to run that at that point it's not really a c4 anymore anyways.

I think most people that one to run fast more than one time build a supercharged motor for those times out of something other than an LT.

I do think the LS is superior and proven in every way, so is most everything about the newer generations.

EXAMPLE
This guy is faster now too but...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/drag...al-c6-z06.html

Old 08-01-2011, 10:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Will has some good points, theres a huge difference between an 11 sec car you can run on the street and an honest repeatable 10 sec car you can hop in and drive.
Difference can be something you dont mind spending some time in and another you reliaze it isnt so much fun after a bit.

Big bux separate the two and as he said most guys going fast like that arent posting on the web all the time and dont always tell all. It takes a LOT to get that 130-150 1/4.

More than just hp at that point its setting the entire car up, breaking, doing it over, etc etc. Expensive game.

Maybe he can put something together for you.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I guess the issue I have is our site (c4 tech) we are the slow people out there.

Camaroz28, etc. seems to have the faster ltx cars. Much faster.
Again. There are people on z28 claiming to have faster cars (and I know a few of them are even in my locality) but so far none of them have even spoken to me. When I show up at the track they take their junk home.

My offer is out there.

Anybody into the scene from this area knows the local sites where we can set this stuff up.... If your new or just not into the scene and think you can check me...feel free to PM me here (please do - I can use the $$$).

I realize I'm giving up some leverage here but it don't matter. Everybody from this area knows I handily put down a well know Shelby GT500 last month. Before that there was some idle chatter on the street but not so much as a word afterwards....

2 little girls (you know who you are SUPRA and GTR) have backed out on me since.... More posers who finally found out their mouths were writing checks their asses couldn't cash.

Honestly my bucket is a dog.... 11.10's on it's best day. Normally aspriated 383 inches on 93 octane, working AC, crusie control, power everything, even the FX3 suspension is still functional..... Ask 93Ragtop, Big Grizzly or any number of local people on this board (I'll even get a CF member reference list together as needed). They've all seen it at the track and some on the street.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Maybe he can put something together for you.
Shoot Ron. I'm trying to get them to put something together for ME!! LOL.

If all the talk on z28 is true any number of them should be able to take my money.... Lets see these liter killers. I'm ready. Lets do this.
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 08-01-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

What is your budget? If you want to go fast you better open the wallet and spend.

A solid motor with good parts will cost you in the area of $8500-10000. I'd imagine with 10k into a 396 LTx you should have a solid motor that will trap in the 124-127 mph range.

I recently had a 421 built. I literally just came in from taking the car for a rip and that money spent has put a smile on my face.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

8-10k is a good deposit towards building a proper 130-150mph 1/4 mi car.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Check out lcvette here on the forum. This will get it done

Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

8-10k is a good deposit towards building a proper 130-150mph 1/4 mi car.
That's been mentioned a couple times already. And, the response flat-out dodged. Will mentioned 25K as a base BEFORE doing the SC addition.

I didn't think it was quite that high, but I have to assume $20-$25k is the minimum to build a supercharged setup that won't break every other weekend. And, that doesn't cover ANYTHING else for maintenance in the car. How's the paint? How's the A/C...the interior?

By the time you build a RESPECTABLE street car INSIDE AND OUT that's got that kind of power, you're in a C5 or C6. That's why you're seeing those builds over there. Maybe a lot of them are still paying on their loan ON TOP of the build. Maybe they just got an inheritance.

In this economy, tossing $25k into a C4 just because you feel like we are the slow guys on the block won't change that. The only thing it will change is your finances. And, how will you feel when it's done?

I know how I feel! It was a great project. It was educational. It was fun. But, it's hard to just sit down, drive it, and move onto something else. IOW, it's an addiction you may find sucking money out of your wallet for a very long time. And, for what? Because you read some Camaro is faster than yours?

This reminds me of the recent C4 buyer who realized his C4 wasn't the alluring speed demon he thought it was. He was even MAD at the guy who sold it to him -- for not letting him know C4's aren't the king of the hill anymore. He even painted something like "Obsolete slug" on the back. (I don't remember the phrase.)

The point is he was looking to feel good about his vette. That's when a few guys jumped in to remind people about the car, the heritage, the allure, and, especially, the progression of technology. One thing we can say for sure is people won't respect you for how fast your car is. There's more to life than that.

I think this is a fluff request until we hear more. Why read about it and "bring it back here"? How many people are left ready to spend $25k just on the drivetrain? AFAIK, there's Brian, Brian, and Will. They already KNOW what they're doing.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Wow! That thing gets to redline FAST!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SurfnSun

Very sweet car. If I'm not mistaken, he and his father have had fast Corvette's for a very long time down that way.

When I was stationed at Camp Lejeune in the late 90's, I remember his father had a White 96 6spd with cam and heads on the bottle that ran mid 11's when they would run 1/4 mile - which was smoking fast for an otherwise stock looking car at the time. I think the son had a Red 6spd car at the time.

At the time I had a burgandy 1980 Z28 that I raced part time in NMCA... Not many local people had ever seen a small block, small tire car with a manual trans that could run in the 5's back then. Whenever I stop by Coastal Plains to this day, long time local people will ask if I still have that car.
Will
Old 08-01-2011, 10:54 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

After looking at the disappointing C5 video linked by Polo, I found this video that was much more interesting/related...

Not a C4 like the SurfnSun link...but really enjoyable car and vid to see. Kinda proves you don't have to be in a C4 to enjoy Corvette!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-01-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Nelsons shop is a few miles from here build some crazy fast cars

Better have 6 figures walking into that shop or close to it.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Nelsons shop is a few miles from here build some crazy fast cars

Better have 6 figures walking into that shop or close to it.
Yeah...I didn't think it was cheap. But, it sure reminds me of the Corvette heritage and what got original vette owners excited. That sure it a nice looking StingRay!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

The only question you need to anwer is how big is your wallet. Beating litrebikes on the roll is tough especially the latest ones. I have years of running my c4 and other cars vs bikes (either on my bikes or in my vette ). I believe it can be done very easily in a c4. Projects like icedvettes turbo Vettes + some N20 will give you some serious steam for a highway roll.

Here's a cool vid you guys might like. After getting a ride in a 1000+ rwhp Gallardo I can say my whole perspective has changed about modifying cars. Biggest wallet wins !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LeZQawQvfU

850 rwhp in a supra was enough to take this gix 1k down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBCPN...eature=related

Last edited by 5abivt; 08-01-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To can anybody point me to good sites for performance build of the ltx.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Jeezus, look how quick that speedo needle moves and the Gallardo is still pulling away.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Uhhhh....with over 6000 posts, why are you asking this question?

I guess we should send you to:
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/index.php

BYE!!!

Wait!!!! Brian? Oh Brian? Where are you?

What Greg ?????????

You are the torque king here on C4.

Go out there and outrun that crotch rocket.

If you blow out your Dana 44,

I have 1 here for you at my house.

showed that to all on c4 last night on my solid axle thread swap.

I am sure you seen that too.

Not my battle tonight or yelling out loud what is street car or race car tonight.

Everyone has their own definition of that.

There is 1 guy here on c4 that has a 8- second ride & he does drive it cross country between tracks.
I would call his 8- second 1/4 mile machine a street driven car.
He is crazy too, but that makes him OK in my book.

Brian
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Not my battle tonight or yelling out loud what is street car or race car tonight.
Man, I don't get it. When a guy's looking for a $200 set of rods, we're talking about $5000 worth of titanium instead. Then, when the big talk comes out...no opinion?

Quick Reply: can anybody point me to good sites for performance build of the ltx.