C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Frame Stiffener ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Glad you're happy.
Are the rods torqued to a spec, shorter or longer, to maintain the roof measurements and provide some "tension" on the frame? Is it trial and error? Just wondering how they work.
The camber brace made a greater improvement on mine in regard to top off steering wheel shake than the cross frame.

Last edited by Joe B.; 10-23-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:27 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Joe B., There is no torque spec. The instructions say to turn the rods so that the measurement between the windshield and halo are at the same distance when jacked up.
It is a bit vague on this procedure as mine did note vary (at least the way I was measuring it) when my car was jacked up!
You want to turn the rods in the direction so that it is (for no exact scientific term) pulling the front and rear tires inward!
What I did was measure the threads on each heim end, screwed them on the rod so all four would be even in the middle (I did it with a caliper). The instructions tell you to do this (although they did not say use a caliper).
Next I installed the rod on the drivers side first but they were too long to fit, so I turned the rod trying to keep the same amount of threads on the heim joints front and rear. When the holes in the heim joint aligned with the brackets I installed the massive (anodized looking)bolt, locking washer and nut.
I did the same procedure to the passenger side.
The adjustment I made was to turn the rod in the proper direction until I felt some tension and then I turned it a little bit more. I measured the distance of the front heim joint (with jam nut backed off completely) to the rod with the caliper again and wrote the number down. I then tightened the jam nuts. I measured the halo to windshield distance but saw no real change (then again I am glad I did not see a change as that would probably mean the frame structure was extremely weak)
I repeated this procedure on the passenger side and tried to keep the same heim joint to rod distance and again checked the halo to windshield measurement.

As I said it is not very scientific and it seems to be a trial and error adjustment, although I may have luckily stumbled upon the correct setting.
The instructions do say something like adjust it to your desired setting.
I wonder if you can go too far with this adjustment?? Probably not because you will run out of adjustment threads on the heim joints.
If any one has any questions I will try to answer them!

I took a nice joy ride today with the windows rolled up on some smooth roads and also the roads that made my roof creak and pop. The car was quiet! So for me the investment was worth it.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 02-25-2012, 03:51 PM
rpole
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum and new to vettes. I bought a 1993 in December. I know this post is primarily regarding the frame stiffiner but a Targa Truss was mentioned. I have read various places of the flex issue with the roof panel off.
It seems the roof panel frame would provide most of that stiffness, not the panel itself. Would a roof frame without the panel installed still tie the front and rear together and provide stiffness? Not sure what it would look like.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by rpole
Would a roof frame without the panel installed still tie the front and rear together and provide stiffness? Not sure what it would look like.
Yes. It would probably look pretty poor, unless you did a good amoint of work to make it look special in some way. Ask a C6 owner; they're panels used to fly off the frames regularly!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

it's been a couple of weeks now since you installed your Frame stiffener and I need to ask you some questions before I buy the Frame Stiffener.
1. is there a night + day difference in handling with it?
2. what other improvements since installing it have you noticed?
3. would you buy it again?
4. whats your opinion of the R-D Racing X-brace"cross brace" vs. tthe Frame Stiffener?
thanks boonie
Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi it's been awhile since this thread was started but can anyone show me how these bars hooked up to in the front of the car?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

booniec4, sorry I have not been on the forum for a while.
I have not driven my car since winter storage. But I did take it for a long ride this weekend.
The car does feel tighter. But every time I drive my 15 year old Vette (after being in my Acura TSX 6-spd).No offense but these C4s feel like a bucket of bolts: Crude riding and very jittery.
But I can say for sure I have less rattles and popping noises going over bumps with the frame stiffeners.
As I posted before, my GrandSport from day one had a popping noise over my head in the rear that would occur going over bumps and ruts in the road. The noise was coming from the roof panel.
After I installed the stiffeners the noise has gone away. So the stiffeners must be doing something.
If you have the extra cash it is a good addition that is fairly easy to install and you should feel a significant difference (at least I did). Hopefully it will help prevent the car from loosening up much more!
Answer to your questions:
1- Night and Day handling difference (No) The car handled fine before, a bit less jittery for sure though!
2- Other than the above mentioned pops and rattles (None).
3- Would I buy it again (Yes).
4- I do not know about the RD X brace other than what I have read on this forum so I can't compare them!

I think it would be cool to see some company incorporate an X brace connected to the frame stiffeners.
I could probably do this myself but I want my GrandSport to stay Stock.

Quick Reply: Frame Stiffener ?