C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FIXED!! Wipers would not turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:02 AM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FIXED!! Wipers would not turn off.

Just wanted to let everyone know I fixed an annoying problem on my car. The Wipers would not turn off sometimes intermittently. I went through the FSM troubleshooting sequence which led me in the wrong direction. Started out replacing the wiper motor because the FSM said the park switch was bad. WRONG. Then I replaced the wiper switch in the steering column because that was the next logical step in the FSM. WRONG

Finally I replaced the Wiper Motor Cover with a new unit I bought on Ebay which contains the circuit board and delay timer. THIS WAS IT. Now the wipers work perfect.

Replacing the wiper motor cover took me about 5 minutes from start to finish. Just wish I would have troubleshot this correctly from the start.

Last edited by 93VettePilot; 12-16-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Cool, saved me the time to go through mine.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
Just wanted to let everyone know I fixed an annoying problem on my car. The Wipers would not turn off sometimes intermittently. I went through the FSM troubleshooting sequence which led me in the wrong direction. Started out replacing the wiper motor because the FSM said the park switch was bad. WRONG. Then I replaced the wiper switch in the steering column because that was the next logical step in the FSM. WRONG

Finally I replaced the Wiper Motor Cover with a new unit I bought on Ebay which contains the circuit board and delay timer. THIS WAS IT. Now the wipers work perfect.

Replacing the wiper motor cover took me about 5 minutes from start to finish. Just wish I would have troubleshot this correctly from the start.
This cover is quite often the cause of weird wiper performance. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Replacing the wiper motor cover took me about 5 minutes from start to finish.
Just wish I would have troubleshot this correctly from the start.
You make the best decisions you can with the information and experience you have at the time. The FSM or any Tech manual with a flow chart is just an opinion from somebody else based on their perception of what the correct steps should be. Symptoms vary, slight differences can change the approach to a problem. It's a one shoe fits all concept, a probability thing, and you take it as information and a possible direction to find the root cause.

Don't kick yourself, you did get it fixed and will be smarter from now on on the topic.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:07 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sailorsteve
This cover is quite often the cause of weird wiper performance. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.
$69 on ebay for brand new. Not cheap.

Originally Posted by kimmer
Cool, saved me the time to go through mine.
Glad I could help

Originally Posted by pcolt94
You make the best decisions you can with the information and experience you have at the time. The FSM or any Tech manual with a flow chart is just an opinion from somebody else based on their perception of what the correct steps should be. Symptoms vary, slight differences can change the approach to a problem. It's a one shoe fits all concept, a probability thing, and you take it as information and a possible direction to find the root cause.

Don't kick yourself, you did get it fixed and will be smarter from now on on the topic.
Ya. Electrical is a pain. Troubleshooting is sometimes difficult. I hate to be a parts replacer but sometimes it happens that way.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$69 on ebay for brand new. Not cheap.

Glad I could help

Ya. Electrical is a pain. Troubleshooting is sometimes difficult. I hate to be a parts replacer but sometimes it happens that way.
If you had gone to the dealer, they would likely have replaced all the same parts, too, because you "needed" them. At $120 per hour.

Get notified of new replies

To FIXED!! Wipers would not turn off.

Quick Reply: FIXED!! Wipers would not turn off.