C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Default wheel removal

I have an 89 with stock wheels. the key to remove the center caps is stripped and am looking for ideas on how to remove the center caps so I can remove the wheels. I don't care about damaging the bolts that hold them in place. any ideas would be helpful
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunnerjuju
I have an 89 with stock wheels. the key to remove the center caps is stripped and am looking for ideas on how to remove the center caps so I can remove the wheels. I don't care about damaging the bolts that hold them in place. any ideas would be helpful
I always got locks off by banging a slightly smaller socket onto it . Don't ask how I know that.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Are those the huge center caps with a single keyed bolt holding them on?
If so when I had an 88 I had a similar issue and was able to make a really thin flat blade screwdriver and very thin needle nose pliers to work the bolt loose and get it out.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the above doesn't work, you can try to get a reverse rotation drill bit that's smaller than the threads and drill it a little ways. Sometimes the friction of the drill will back it out. If not, then use a broken bolt removal tool. Try to find the square ones. I've had bad luck with the spiral fluted ones.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Worst case senario, drill off the head and when the cap comes off you'll have enough stud left to turn out with a Vise-Grip. Thats a last resort
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

caddyboy the smaller socket trick wont work on this one i'm afraid and the your worst case scenario; oh boy that is last option cause I can see being able to get a pair of vise grips onto what will be left

jaa1992 it is as you discribed and looks like i'll spend the first half of this Saturday AM trying your suggestion and if that fails

Black89Z51 your suggestions will be attempted in the afternoon if my patience grows weary in the morning.

Thank you all for the suggestions I might have a major wheel purchase in the future. I wanted to put it off until the winter but I got a loose lug nut rolling around in there

Last edited by gunnerjuju; 05-02-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: annoyed
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gunnerjuju
caddyboy the smaller socket trick wont work on this one i'm afraid and the your worst case scenario; oh boy that is last option cause I can see being able to get a pair of vise grips onto what will be left

jaa1992 it is as you discribed and looks like i'll spend the first half of this Saturday AM trying your suggestion and if that fails

Black89Z51 your suggestions will be attempted in the afternoon if my patience grows weary in the morning.

Thank you all for the suggestions I might have a major wheel purchase in the future. I wanted to put it off until the winter but I got a loose lug nut rolling around in there
I like Black's idea, I'd try that first. My smaller socket method is really for full-size wheel-locks, it works everytime on those.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel removal

Quick Reply: wheel removal