C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

BLM Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 PM
kwajite01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLM Question

I have a 94 stock LT1. I have a ping at load 1500 - 2500 rpm. At idle my BLM is 122 both banks. When I give it a little throttle it will climb to 140 both banks and then I get spark retard 6* - 10* New o2 sensors can see them fluctuate. If I go WOT BLM goes to 160. I do notice the cells change with speed and load. It seems to be running lean (BLM 160) hence the ping. My sensors at idle C/L are:

IAC = 30 counts
MAP = 34KPa increases with throttle
MAF = 8Gm/Sec increases with throttle
TPS = .63 - 4.08(wot)
IAT seens to be incrementing
Vacuum at idle = 18hg and steady
Fuel pressure at idle is 42psi climbs to 45psi under load and 48psi (wot)

I did clean the maf with maf cleaner and changed the plugs wires and fuel filter then the pining started. The question is what is causing my blms to go to 160? Thanks for any help on this.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you ohm'd the injectors cold and hot?

Running lean comes from 1 of 2 possible places..

the fuel system componants

or

the direction of the ECM or programming.

if you have not changed the program (tune) then it has to be from tired injectors.
As they age they get weak...lazy, slow to react. That means they spray less and late. Lean. The inj baskets get dirty and gummed up.
IF the ohms is within allowable 16 no less than 12, then a dose of a quality inj cleaner may offer some relief. If its sticky inj then add 1/2 bottle of marvel mystery oil to <1/2 tank of gas and run it ALL thru before refilling.

An over abundence of alcohol in your fuel may also be a reason...winter blend? Thats regional.

Did you use some gimmick platimum plus 44 plugs with a split tail, or the reccomended delco plugs?
Wires will cause ping as well. I've had brand new acell wires cause a severe knock. Ping is unlikely by definition. (pre-ignition)...unless the plugs you installed were a different heat range.

Last edited by leesvet; 10-24-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
kwajite01
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the reply. I actually had the injectors cleaned/checked and the intake manifold gasket replaced by Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista. They couldn't find the problem either. If I run through all the gears it run's great no issues car has lots of power. Highway mileage was about 26.5 and the temp was about 194.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM
chrldo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

food for thought: most gasoline has 10% ethanol, if your car sits with the same fuel for some time, any moisture will cause algae. try treating your fuel. also the ethanol is a stronger chemical than gasoline and the older cars weren't engineered for it.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are BLMs?

Mine started pinging about 1 month ago. It comes and goes, but typically at your rpms.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

BLM is only a function of the ECM to be used as "reference" .....Block Learn Memory.

Its not the source of knocking or misfiring, but more like documentation of the problem. BLM allows the scanner to see what the engine has been doing as 8 separate cylinders..it helps to ID the problem cyl. IF all are doing something odd that sends you back to the control systems for all. Fuel or spark.

IMHO, if blms are unstable that to me says AFR is unstable. Back to fuel system or air leaks. Knowing a stealership worked on the car, I'd get it looked at by a qualified mechanic ! ! !
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 AM
kwajite01
Heel & Toe

What is the best way to check the Air Fuel Ratio (AFR)? Could an opti be giving me the problems I am having? I have been running the car with techron fuel injection cleaner before I took it to Abel. Abel was supposedly the best corvette shop in northern California at least that is what all the write up said. I was shocked to find out they couldn't fix my car. I do have over 100,000 miles on the car I have replaced the water pump but left the opti alone. I am assuming that if the car was running right at partial throttle the trim cells would change and the BLMs would remain at 128 in a perfect world.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Start over again, did it ping before you worked on it or did you work on it because it pings? What gear does it ping in?

You have some odd readings as well.
if 34 kpa vac gage should read 19.5
if wot is 100 kpa ,not knowing what is normal for your area, then fuel pressure should change by 9.6 lbs more than idle of 34kpa. You are only changing by 6 psi

get the kpa with key on engine off that is what it should be at wot.
get fuel pressure by cycling the key with engine off or jumping the fuel pump relay, that is what it should be at wot. I have no idea what normal is on a 94 but the change in fuel pressure has to match the change in manifold pressure.

More info is needed but my money is on the fuel system.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any code stored? May be your maf reading aren't correct, sometimes after maf cleaning some issue may happen,it happen to me. At wot blm must be steady at 128 becouse at wot engine is at open loop
Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

FYI,
Your fuel pressure change is normal for a 1994.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
kwajite01
Heel & Toe

The car was running with a miss before but not pinging. At that time I changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, cleaned the maf. Car ran smooth but know I have this ping. Never had it before. I did disconnect the battery before working on the car just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't think that could mess up my tune could it? No codes have been stored. I will check the MAP kpa tomorrow and find out what it is doing with the engine off. If 34kpa = 19.5 in hg then my vacuum gauge was reading correctly. I am 200 ft above sea level. BTW when I took the car to an elevation of 4500 ft, all the symtoms went away no ping. This ping is under heavy load too 1500 - 2500 rpm any gear.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Do you actually hear a ping or just watching the scanner? You could be getting burst knock which is a calculated knock and it may not be knocking.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
kwajite01
Heel & Toe

It is a real audible ping. My datalog form datamaster is showing the 140 - 160 blm and timing is being pulled just off idle. My blm's increase just off idle too. You can see the knock counts go up as it starts to ping. It seems like there might be something with the MAF it starts off at 8 gm/sec then climbs to 175 gm/sec at 5000 rpm and WOT. Any other way to check the MAF?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by kwajite01
If I go WOT BLM goes to 160. I do notice the cells change with speed and load. It seems to be running lean (BLM 160) hence the ping.
You are in open loop mode at WOT. BLMs are not adjusted in open loop mode, so this doesn't seem right.

160 means the ECM is adding as much fuel as possible to compensate for a lean condition. The ECM limits the BLMs to the range 108 to 160, so you're maxing out on the lean end.

Is your O2 sensor OK?

Do you have a ruptured fuel pressure regulator diaphragm?

[EDIT] I was wrong on the BLM 160 = rich (as pointed out later in this thread). I was thinking the injector pulse width was proportional to the BLM. Sorry for the bad information. [/EDIT]

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 02-02-2013 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Corrected bad information.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am 200 ft above sea level. BTW when I took the car to an elevation of 4500 ft, all the symtoms went away no ping.
When you tested under same throttle conditions at both altitudes how did BLM & MAP values compare?

Last edited by 65Z01; 10-26-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:25 AM
kwajite01
Heel & Toe

I was in closed loop. Up to that point the ECM is trying to add fuel to an already lean condition. That is why it is stuck at 160 (WOT). Even just off idle the ECM is trying to add fuel and pulling timing. I had replaced the 02 sensors that is the first thing I thought of since they already have over 100,000 miles on them. Unfortunately I was unable to datalog in the higher elevation. I just noticed that the pining had stopped under heavy load.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
raiderz
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
160 is grossly rich, not lean. The ECM limits the BLMs to the range 108 to 160, so you're maxing out on the rich end.
This statement above is incorrect...

108 is RICH (108 TO 127 RICH)
160 is LEAN (129 TO 160 LEAN)

Get notified of new replies

To BLM Question

Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I was in closed loop. Up to that point the ECM is trying to add fuel to an already lean condition. That is why it is stuck at 160 (WOT). Even just off idle the ECM is trying to add fuel and pulling timing. I had replaced the 02 sensors that is the first thing I thought of since they already have over 100,000 miles on them. Unfortunately I was unable to datalog in the higher elevation. I just noticed that the pining had stopped under heavy load.
The pinging stopped because the octane requirement went down at altitude.

If the blm is 160 and the car is pinging it is lean.
If the fuel pressure is correct at those times it is not the pump lines or filter.
If it was ignition it whould not change the BLM unless a misfire then the O2 would read lean and O2 would try to fix it but it should not ping if it has trouble firing the plugs and would look and smell rich with all the extra fuel.
If it did not ping before you cleaned the MAF it is probably not the injectors.

The only thing changed is the work on the MAF I would have to think it is the MAF as the only thing that could make it lean that has been touched since it did not ping. If it under reports the airflow then the tables will not provide enough fuel and the O2 will attempt to fix it but if maxed out at a BLM of 160 it can not fix it.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

It is a real audible ping. My datalog form datamaster is showing the 140 - 160 blm and timing is being pulled just off idle. My blm's increase just off idle too. You can see the knock counts go up as it starts to ping. It seems like there might be something with the MAF it starts off at 8 gm/sec then climbs to 175 gm/sec at 5000 rpm and WOT. Any other way to check the MAF?
The MAF appears to be working since it is increasing as the RPM goes up but what I do not know is if it is increasing at the correct pace. The 175 gm/sec may be low and maybe that is why it goes lean at high RPM high load. Any chance your intake piping as a leak in it (crack).
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 PM
kwajite01
Heel & Toe

Ok this is were I'm at. I ran the car today untill it was in closed loop. I then disconnected the MAF and took it out. Car ran ok with no audible ping while under heavy load. I decided to log this event. Datamaster said that I was still in closed loop I though that it would go into some limp mode and open loop. The blms still seamed to be on the high side (lean) Timing was still being pulled not sure why. I reconnected the MAF and did another log. Not much had changed between the two logs. I did check the entire intake for cracks and leaks non were found. I did read an article with an LT1 with similar symptoms, he replaced his OPTI and solved his problems. Could the OPTI have noise on one of the resolution signals causing the high BLMs and pulling my timing.

Quick Reply: BLM Question