C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shorty Antenna Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:06 PM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shorty Antenna Installed

The antenna broke on my 1990 and I didn't really like the power one anyway. I'll take a pic later, but I found a shorty solution. Here's what I did:

Get this:
1. Autozone- Get the Raptor GM Universal Antenna- PN AW-GM935B
2. Autozone- Raptor shorty Antenna PN AW-SHTB
3. Metra female to female antenna adapter PN 40-UV41

Jack up the car, remove the wheel and inner fender cover. Remove the power antenna. Remove the chassis ground (you'll need this later).

Take the stock rubber antenna grommet out and trim about 3mm from the bottom. Re-install it. Take the new Antenna base. Remove the silver mounting hardware as it will not be needed. Take the threaded base to the hardware store. Get some wide washers that fit on the threaded side. As wide as you can get as those will press up against the rubber grommet. Take the chassis ground and hose clamp or solder it to the base of the antenna. Install the antenna with the washers and tighten with the stock nut only. You will not need any of those plastic covers under the nut. Mine needed (3) 1mm thick washers to keep the threads flush with the grommet. If you start seeing silver threads popping up, use another washer. The ground wire can be bolted to the chassis using the body brace (look for the bolt with 2 black bars attached to it). My car had a male side on the car end so I needed a female to female adapter.

The rubber grommets running to the back of the car can be re-used if you cut the inner antenna one and feed the new antenna through and then press it back into the outer grommet.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 PM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ground wire and pics of the base from the bottom (sorry out of focus)

Quick Reply: Shorty Antenna Installed