C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

question about small cap distributor conversion - 1985 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:21 PM
BigMikeC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about small cap distributor conversion - 1985 Vette

Hello everyone,

I have some questions about converting to a small cap distributor in my 85 corvette.

I know a dizzy from an 88 camaro will work - my question is regarding the cam gear. Since my 85 doesn't have a roller cam, will I need to change it out? Or are there other small cap distributor options, such as from a truck?

On that note, does anyone know if my gear from my original HEI unit would transfer? This is something I haven't done before and I haven't been able to find much when I search.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:24 AM
rssshen vette
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeC
Hello everyone,

I have some questions about converting to a small cap distributor in my 85 corvette.

I know a dizzy from an 88 camaro will work - my question is regarding the cam gear. Since my 85 doesn't have a roller cam, will I need to change it out? Or are there other small cap distributor options, such as from a truck?

On that note, does anyone know if my gear from my original HEI unit would transfer? This is something I haven't done before and I haven't been able to find much when I search.

Thanks in advance!
You shouldn't have any problems with the swap if you are still using the stock cam shaft with the stock distributor gear on the small distributor. I up graded my cam shaft to a billet cam without up grading my distributor cam. The result was the billet cam wore down the teeth on the distributor gear in a short period of time. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: question about small cap distributor conversion - 1985 Vette